New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of PGA National Resort & Spa

PGA National Resort & Spa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Schenectady, New York
“Conference at the PGA National”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Great place to have a multiday conference. Accommodation and services are excellent. Great courses as well as activities for spouses and children. A vacation spot to combine with a conference and have something for everyone.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

This hotel was very high class and since I booked through Expidia they charged me 25.00 per night for what the called a hotel fee charge, that includes the coffee in your room,2 complimentary drinks from the bar, parking(had no choice to park the hotel is 10 min. Drive from the main road)' use of the facilities,. We checked in at 11 pm and checked out at 8am. We were told that if we stay 2 nights the service fee would be waived.
Very nice place for people with very deep pockets.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tom M
Nice, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Great spa for spoiling oneself. But the rooms need a facelift. Also the rooms need soundproofing. I thought my room was under a disco, but then the next morning realized it was only another guestroom above me. In the hallway I heard several peoples private phone conversations from their rooms. I was walking down the hall and could clearly hear them talking on the phone. Not the place place for discretion.
The staff however was superb.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Stayed for a conference for 8 days. I didn't golf but its an absolutely beautiful course. The rooms are recently redone and they are fresh.
The food was excellent.
My #1 complaint is the automatic gratuity added to everything. What it means is slow and I believe poorer service because they get a grat of 18% regardless of the service provided.

• Stayed February 2013
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Just returned from a 3-night stay at this resort. Was there on business for a conference. It is a nice hotel, especially if you play golf. Since I cannot yet count that among my talents, I generally prefer to stay at beach properties. That said, the PGA resort is definitely a great place to stay, to enjoy the atmosphere and relax. There is a world class spa (which unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to experience, and their swimming pools are well maintained , with the lounge chairs all around getting terrific sun exposure. I think a big plus for families with small/young children is that the main pool has a zero-entry.

The front desk was helpful and professional and courteous, as was the rest of the hotel staff in general.

The decor, especially in the main lobby, was contemporary and well appointed. I found the entire property to be very clean throughout.

To be clear, I had a positive experience and PGA is a very nice hotel. The following however are some of the areas I think the hotel could improve:

I stayed in a Junior Suite on the 1st floor. It was spacious and well laid out. The shower was also spacious. I liked the modern feel of the bathroom - but my complain here is that the shower door opens into the shower, such that when you open the water, you instantly get sprayed. I believe the hotel would do well to consider re-engineering the shower doors to open outward, so as to minimize or avoid this situation.

The floors were laid with a Spanish style tile, but there are nice area rugs as well. I typically prefer wall to wall plush carpeting in hotel suites rather than tile floors - but hey, that's just me.

The other thing I'm wondering is why did they empty out and do away with the mini-bar ? Though it is useful at times to have an empty fridge in the room which it does have now that the hotel no longer stocks a mini-bar int he room.

Given I was there on business, it was more important that usual to have wifi access. My experience with their wifi was very frustrating in fact. For three days, my wifi connection was extremely spotty and poor at best. And I am referring to the lobby, the hallways, my suite, the conference area and outside - basically, all over the property.

In terms of the bath care products, they do provide a fine shampoo, shower gel, body lotion and facial and body bar soaps. The shampoo tube is marked conditioning shampoo (like a 2 in 1), but I feel it would be much more appreciated if a separate conditioner was provided. A 2 in 1 may save costs, but it's just not the same.

Would I stay there again? Quite possibly! And the odds increase of course the sooner I take up golf :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Richmond-upon-Thames, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I had a 3 day stay with 3 rounds of golf that included the champion course - total cost $2500 - so we would expect good standards and great service. The organisation of the golf was first rate with your clubs and buggies ready and waiting for you, practice facilities great and drink stations and buggy food service all working well. Playing the Champion course 2 weeks before the Honda Classic you have to expect the rough to be penal and....it certainly was! Only the Squire course had greens with rogue grasses in places but they still played well...it also had a resident alligator that was just massive!
The hotel however has a few issues mentioned by previous writers - the foyer / bar area is far too noisy & difficult to get served between 6 -8pm. The piped music in the pool area would not shame a 2 star hotel in Spain but our main issue is that the reception staff ( and perhaps the manager)need to improve customer service. We had the temerity to query part of our bill - their attitude was that if we had signed for it then we would have to pay for it - well not in my book I don't - because if it was wrong then it is wrong that they try to charge for it! We were proved correct but in good hotels in the UK and Europe they would have seen the bigger picture - it left us with a sour taste (especially when 18% service is added to every bill) and to cap it all they cocked up the bill by charging it to the wrong credit card when we had specifically told them what to do the night before... so now we have been charged twice... and have the trouble of ensuring it is then corrected! A little more humility is required by hotel staff in this place!!

• Stayed February 2013
silver spring, md
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

This resort is very expensive, but it's worth it. The grounds are immaculate and the landscaping is beautiful. The lobby is huge and has a very nice bar/eating area. The main pool area is really nice. There are plenty of lounge chairs, so you don't have to grab one early, and the pool is warm. There is poolside bar service, as well as a very nice poolside cafe for lunch and beverages. Most of the afternoon, there was very pleasing live music. My friends were impressed by the PGA golf courses, but my wife and I are not golfers. Instead we enjoyed the Spa area and Waters of the World pools. The Spa has two very small pools and a Jaccuzzi that are in a relatively secluded part of the resort. The Spa has poolside bar service, which I particularly enjoyed. My wife especially enjoyed a 50-minute massage at the Spa. For exercise and recreation, there are plenty of nice walking paths, tennis courts, and a gym on the grounds.

All of the employees we encountered were very friendly and helpful. The only negative experience was that we were told as we registered that they did not have a room with a King-sized bed, even though we had specifically requested such a room several months earlier. After a half-hour negotiation, the manager found us a well-located room with a king-sized bed. We observed that this same discussion was repeated with many of the guests as they registered. Management should fix that problem, because it's not a very good way to welcome guests.

Room Tip: If you've requested a specific type of room or bed when you made your reservation, insist on get...