“Disappointed with the expense of this hotel”
Review of The Breakers

The Breakers
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Palm Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Richmond VA
“Disappointed with the expense of this hotel”
Reviewed June 10, 2007

My husband and I recently stayed at the Breakers for 4 days, 3 nights. The hotel was beautiful and the staff was very pleasant. However, I was surprised at the size of the rooms (smaller than expected) and we had a view of the parking lot (it was a nice parking lot, but I would have preferred to be looking at something a little nicer when I'm making a long trip.) I was very surprised at the prices here. We have stayed at comparable hotels and I am always shocked about the prices that are charged. My husband and I shared a lunch (appetizer and hamburger) and a couple of sodas for $52. Of course, the tip was included with everything. The pools were nice, the beach was much smaller than I expected, the staff was attentive (as they should at these prices). I would recommend this hotel, but be advised the rooms are the size of a average hotel room. I would also suggest bringing your own beverages (water, soda, etc) and snacks to avoid the high prices.

7 Thank mothertotwo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
New York
Reviewed May 21, 2007

My husband, six month old son and I stayed at The Breakers 5/17-5/20. The hotel was fantastic!!! Service was impeccable. The hotel is extremely child friendly. The hotel provided us w/a refrigerator and crib for the room. The crib was a REAL crib and the sheets were clean (a nice change from some of the other hotels at which we've stayed). Housekeeping was also very considerate and put our son's teddy bear and blanket in his crib every night. Very, very sweet.

We got a club level room which was terrific. Since I had to make formula, the free bottles of water were very handy.

The hotel has a number of child-friendly areas/activities and restaurants.

The spa was also terrific. I had a facial and an aromatherapy massage and my husband got a fantastic haircut.

Even before we left, we were thinking of when we could come back. Will definitely be back next year.

One note: There's a 20% gratuity charge for dining and spa services. However, the staff is up front about the charge and there is no line on the bill for you to make the mistake of giving a 40% tip.

• Liked — The room and view were lovely.
  • Disliked — The room was a bit small.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank Travelbug54NewYork
South Carolina
Reviewed May 9, 2007

The Breakers was phenomenal from start to finish. Be prepared to shell out some serious change for anything within the confines of the hotel.
However, if you want to really relax and celebrate a special occasion this rates high on my list.
The Breakers is so immense that you never have to leave the grounds for any reason. Golf, tennis, spa, 3 pools, the beach, wonderful food at every restaurant, breakfast buffet in the Circle. It's simply all wonderful.
Our room was superb, I read the review of a small room but we most certainly did not get that one.
We even arrived at 10:30am and they went ahead and gave us our room.

6 Thank jaredw
New York, NY
Reviewed April 12, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Breakers for a week back in January and had the most relaxing time. Although this is an 'older' hotel, it is also a landmark - one of the great hotels in the US and you can tell that they make every effort to keep it from being "worn". Our room was comfortable (such a comfy bed too!), daily maid service and nightly turn down were excellent. I loved the sunrise yoga classes near the beach. The pools were great and we never had a bad meal. The standout restaurant for us was L'escalier - just superb! While Palm Beach (and the Breakers) is associated with "old money" and there is that feeling in the air, we had a wonderful stay (we are in our late 30's). Palm Beach doesn't have much to offer once you leave the hotel, although it is beautiful to look at. We spent the majority of our time at the hotel, on the beach or in the spa. Spa services are pricey (as you can expect at a place like this) but the daily massages I got were all good - not a bad one in the bunch.

The standout point to the breakers though is its service. From the friendly and efficient valet to the concierge booking us dinner reservations and giving suggestions to the pool attendants who greet you upon entering the pool and set you up on your lounge chair (lots of towels, will move chairs and umbrellas for you - you don't have to lift a FINGER!) While the Breakers is a historic hotel and has a beautiful atmosphere, it is the people behind the scenes that really give it its heart.

• Liked — Service, staying at this landmark hotel, staying practically on top of the ocean! private beach
  • Disliked — things quiet down pretty early here. Restaurants close early, not many places to have a drink after 10pm
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
7 Thank Kalinka-NYC
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 8, 2007

I don't like big hotels and I don't like to be around little children. So
in that respect, The Breakers wouldn't be for me. But my friend was
celebrating his 40th birthday there so, even though this was a very
child intensive period, I went there anyway.

I have to say that this should be a family hotel, it always has been
and if I ownd it, I would keep it very "family friendly". However,
since there are so many facilities for children; by children, I mean
people under the age of 12, there should be more adults only
areas. I imagine that one can't bring little ones into the spa
or the gym. The relaxation pool is supposed to be a quiet oasis
for adults but they allowed children and teenagers there, too.
I have to say that it was still 95% better than the other pools
but there is no law that says they couldn't ban children from
that area. After all, they have TWO other pools and the beach.

I was quite amazed at all the other reviewers who said the staff
was not friendly or gave bad service. My experience was just
the opposite. I want to single out Andrea in Housekeeping who
went out of her way to have all my washing and ironing done
in less than a day....some in less than two hours, AFTER hours.
Doug, one of the concierges who couldn't have been nicer;
Rachel, Megan and Merritt who were my Beach Bungalow
conceirges at the Relaxation Pool. And kudos to so many
other staff members whose names I don't know, who were
so helpful and kind.

Yes, the hotel is beautiful and I suspect that one of the reasons
that it's so expensive is that with all those people traipsing
through at all times, the upkeep must cost in the millions.

My room was one back from the ocean front, somewhat smaller
than I'm used to but impeccably clean and elegant. The
bathroom was very large and included a stall shower. I'm
not exactly a low maintenance guest and since I had a
small balcony, I asked that my windows be washed as
they were quite covered with salt spray. This was done in
a timely way.

The hotel has around 565 rooms, which, when full, makes
quite a crowd. I was advised to come during the summer
or September through mid-November when it was usually
less crowded and there were way less little kids.

There was one other review that left me a bit perplexed: One
person, who I assume is Asian, complained that there were
not enough Asians staying there. I hope he doesn't expect
the US government and/or the "political correctness police" to
make it a law that hotels have to create guest quotas along
the lines of race and ethnicity!

In any case, I highly recommend The Breakers for a lovely
stay. There are plenty of activities for all ages, during the
day and great restaurants in Palm Beach for lunch or
dinner. PB is very expensive, it always has been; it's famous
for that....all high end; all the time. It is what it is.
But the great boutique hotels in Europe are a lot more
expensive and NOT nearly so family friendly.

Operacat, Los Angeles

• Liked — Luxury, Staff, Comfort, Beach Bungalows
  • Disliked — Children allowed in the Relaxation Pool area
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
10 Thank operacat
Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 20, 2007

Just got back from a terrific 3 day weekend with my wife and 3 year old daughter. We were treated like royalty for the entire time we were there. The hotel is absolutely stunning, the service could not be better.

The only thing I would suggest is getting down to the active pool early as the lounges fill up quickly, but there is a lot of space in other beautiful areas.

A particular family friendly amenity was the family activity center. Here the entire family could eat a great, but low key Italian meal, and if the kids finished fast, they can go to a fully supervised play area with activities and toys for everyone from toddlers (stuffed animals, play kitchen), to video games and a children's theater.

Overall, expensive, but worth the splurge.

• Liked — Pool Club
  • Disliked — Expense of the restaurants
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank atraveller42
Reviewed March 18, 2007

I can not say how the rooms are but the food in the seafood bar restaurant was awful. I found a toothpick in my seafood salad. It was loud and the service awful!

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
#1 of 4 in Palm Beach Shores
Four Seasons Resort, Palm Beach

Been to The Breakers? Share your experiences!