The Breakers is the definition of a luxury beach resort. From the moment you pull up to the entryway, you know this is a special place. The hotel architecture is classic, but nothing about the facilities is outdated or old--they are immaculately maintained, from the lobby and restaurants to the well manicured lawns outside. The service is impeccable, efficient and attentive, but very friendly. Every staff member I passed in the hallways and on the grounds greeted me with a genuine smile. They really want you to have a good time here and they take pride that this is truly a five star hotel. This is the hotel Ritz Carlton wants to be but can't quite measure up.
My room wasn't large but it was comfortable and well appointed. I had a king size bed and lounge chair and a desk built into the wall. The bathroom was spacious. There was only one sink but it did have an adjacent make-up counter with a stool. Great shower with high water pressure. The bed was very comfortable, just the right combination of a firm mattress with soft padding and linens. Room safe and iron/ironing board, but no coffee maker. You can use the fitness center at the spa for a nominal charge and they also have a separate workout room in the hotel that is free--it's better than most workout rooms I've seen in major hotels.
Outside, this hotel has everything. There are 4 or 5 pools, including a lap pool, adult pool, kids pool, and relaxation pool where you're not supposed to be noisy. Lots of hottubs spread around. There are a couple of beach restaurants around the pools. The beach area is not large, but there is beach service with lounge chairs and a lifeguard on duty and I saw some families playing on the sand. Some of the pools have cabanas you can rent out. In a different part of the hotel there is a family center where you can drop off your kids for the day--they have an outdoor playground, indoor playground, small movie theater, xbox stations, and even a game arcade. There is an Italian family restaurant adjacent to the family center and they will watch your kids while you eat.
Of course all this comes at a price. If you are squeamish about high food and beverage bills or paying for extras this hotel is not for you. Parking is $20/night (taxi is flat $25 to or from the airport, 15 minutes, and you may not need a rental car). Food in particular is expensive--think $19 cheeseburgers and $12 hot dogs. The hot breakfast buffet was $27, but it was delicious and the dining room was beautiful. But I didn't feel nickle and dimed. They add 20% gratuity to every food bill but they always tell you when they present the bill, not like other places who hope you won't notice and will add more tip. Wired and wifi internet is free.
Unavoidably, in Palm Beach and in this hotel, the smell of money is everywhere. That influences the kind of people who come to this area including this hotel and you have to be comfortable with that. But the staff does a great job of making everyone feel comfortable and I wouldn't hesitate to return in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Originally built in 1896, The Breakers remains one of America’s legendary resort destinations. Renowned for its seaside glamour and world-class service, the 538-room, Italian Renaissance-style hotel resides on 140 acres of oceanfront property in the heart of Palm Beach. With unapologetic luxury, The Breakers indulges its clientele, whether couples on a romantic getaway, multi-generational travelers on a family vacation or large gatherings in celebration. Thanks to the gracious dedication of its longstanding family ownership, the iconic resort re-invests a minimum of $30 million each year in the property’s ongoing enhancement and revitalization to ensure that it continues to captivate its guests. Most recently with the debut of Flagler Club, an ultra-luxury boutique hotel set within the resort. Resort amenities feature a private beach, four oceanfront pools, five whirlpool spas, 25 luxury beach bungalows and a variety of watersports; a new luxury spa; indoor-outdoor Ocean Fitness center; 36 holes of championship golf, including the Ocean Course and The Breakers Rees Jones® Course; 10 Har-Tru tennis courts; a Family Entertainment Center; an array of on-site boutiques; and nine acclaimed restaurants, with settings ranging from casual beachfront to stylishly sophisticated. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Prestigia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, TravelUp, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Breakers reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Breakers Hotel Palm Beach
- Breakers Palm Beach
- The Breakers Resort
- Breakers Hotel Palm Beach
- Breakers Resort Palm Beach
- The Breakers Palm Beach, Florida