Today's America is a scary place. Politically, economically, socially - it's a tumultuous land of contempt and uncertainty. So it borders on impossible to fathom a place where one can go to enjoy life's finer things in the comfort and safety once thought to be exclusive to bygone eras.
Nestled deep in Florida's coastal south is a utopia; a veritable bubble shielded from the rest of the world. Clean streets separate meticulously restored period-correct buildings whose yesteryear facades deceive onlookers from the modern goings on behind closed doors. The people, the city, the county, they all come together to maintain a certain look, a humble attitude, a constant quiet that soothes residents and visitors alike.
But with all the painstaking trouble taken to ensure West Palm Beach's appearance, those collective efforts pale in comparison to the impression expertly cultivated and preserved by the staff at The Breakers. No hotel or resort or exotic getaway could ever hope to emulate the care, quality, and attention to detail so deftly demonstrated, on a daily basis, by the personnel manning every area and aspect of this other worldly retreat.
The Breakers is multifaceted in its purpose and existence. It's not simply a hotel; it also caters to residents, as well as guests who are only visiting one of the many shops or restaurants. Additionally, The Breakers is host to many conventions throughout the year. It's no coincidence that organizations from around the world hold annual meetings and events at The Breakers, graciously accommodated by one of The Breakers' many halls and banquet rooms.
Gaining employment at The Breakers is no small feat. It's a rigorous three-step process that ensures that any interaction guests have with staff is both pleasant and knowledgeable. This includes eateries, shops, the pool, lounges, members only areas, and even the valet.
The seemingly endless stretches of marble, complimented by paintings, ornate metal sculptures, and fresh bouquets of flowers, compose the grand hallways that extend the lobby to different wings of this open-to-the-public palace. The ceilings are so elevated, you have to wonder if maintenance is required to possess a certain caliber of testicles to swap out of the bulbs of the dustless chandeliers hanging high overhead. The noteworthy details of The Breakers are so plentiful, they're overwhelming in both their abundance and decadence.
But what sets this place apart; this borderline-ostentatious edifice that humbles the Mar-a-Lago estate down the road, is the staff. The staff that, as a team, acts as a well-oiled machine, unctuously keeping the entire place in Swiss-like tune, solving trouble before it ever has a chance to arise. Without its faculty, The Breakers would much like a hollow chateau in a baron Chernobyl.
The location and presentation of The Breakers is head and shoulders above any other place within the United States. But the people who keep it going are the cornerstone of The Breakers success and reputation.
Friends told me I should've postponed my visit until later in the year; that June or July is host to babe-filled beaches, some of whom are careless and topless. But as I stood on the hand-laid stone walk along the beach wall, watching the ocean crash into jagged rock formations just beyond the shoreline, uninterrupted by the noise or presence of throngs of beach goers, I knew I came here at just the right time.
But irrespective of the time of year, you can't go wrong with a visit to The Breakers. If you're looking for a downside, you're reading the wrong review. The only reason I rated The Breakers five stars is because that's as high as the rating will go. My only complaint is that I'm not there right now. This is a bucket list location, and you're kidding yourself if you think some exotic foreign island will make you happier or be more fun than this domestic, Floridian paradise.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the heart of the island of Palm Beach amid 140 acres of picturesque oceanfront property, The Breakers is recognized as one of North America’s iconic resort destinations. Independently owned, this legendary resort has been completely revitalized to offer a paradise for couples, families, and special gatherings. Revel in a new tropical feeling at the glorious beachfront, play the greens, and enjoy the blissful spa, delicious dining, and incredible services energized by a genuinely caring staff, integral in helping you make fabulous memories. * Nine distinctive restaurants and five bars* A private beachfront oasis with five sparkling pools, bungalows and watersports* An oceanfront spa, offering moonlit massages amid Atlantic breezes* 36 holes of championship golf including the on-site Ocean Course and Rees Jones® Course; a golf academy* 10 lighted Har Tru tennis courts and instruction by USPTA/USPTR-certified professionals* 10 on-site boutiques including Lilly Pulitzer, Guerlain and Ralph Lauren* A family entertainment center and kids’ camp; 11 boutiques.* The Flagler Club, private club level with a private concierge and residential ambiance, Interactive Family Entertainment Center and Kid’s Camp. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Booking.com, getaroom.com and Jetsetter so you can book your The Breakers reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Breakers Hotel Palm Beach
- Breakers Palm Beach
- The Breakers Resort
- Breakers Hotel Palm Beach
- Breakers Resort Palm Beach
- The Breakers Palm Beach, Florida