“Stunning!”

The Breakers
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Palm Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Truly amazing and awesome vacation. From the moment we pulled up until we left for the airport we could not have been more happy with this experience. As others have said, it is expensive, and we are not wealthy people by any means but to splurge for a couple days and live in the lap of luxury was well worth it. We checked in on Labor Day, which was wonderful because the vast majority of the hotel was checking out that day. The room wasn't ready, but no worries they have a bath house with lockers, so we got on our swimsuits and hit the pool. Pools were wonderful and overlooking the ocean. Once we called and got checked in, found only one slight problem which was the carpet was slightly damp as it had obviously just been steam cleaned. I guess we'll live with that because they upgraded us to an Ocean View room which was amazing. We took advantage of great continental breakfasts and the dinners at the HMF, Top of the point and the Seafood Bar were all fantastic. Most of all we just walked around in awe at all of the amazing architecture throughout the property, even sneaking into some of the ballrooms late at night just to check out the different wall coverings and ceilings, it really is just an amazing place.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tsgc2008
There are newer reviews for The Breakers

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Staying at The very lovely Breakers Resort in Palm Beach is an experience combining history with modern luxury service. I am in love with most historic landmark hotels and buildings but then combine this with great restaurants, extensive gardens and grounds, a wide assortment of shops and activities and most importantly great people who provide friendly caring service. The staff aim to please and truly perform with a warm friendly smile. A server in the breakfast room automatically brought a newspaper to the table when she noticed I was lingering over coffee, a pool attendant ran over and gave me a glass of lemon chilled water when he noticed I was on a long phone call. The Manager on duty personally came over to meet and greet upon arrival. So yes the building is steeped in historic with beautiful venetian style public rooms and the gardens and grounds are magnificent but its really the people who truly make a difference.

Room Tip: If you book a room or suite in the classic resort view category ask for a high floor or facing the f...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Italexplorer
Reviewed September 7, 2013

It is unfortunate that my family didn't experience the same positive experience that most reviewers did at this resort. From day one, we were put in such a stressful room situation and were left to resolve it on our own.

We had booked our stay 6 months in advance for a classic suite with a resort view for 6 nights. When we got to our room on the day of check-in, we were shocked to have been assigned a room on the 1st floor with a rooftop view. Meanwhile, we saw a lot of guests from business functions going to higher floors! We did notice that a lot of the guests at the Breakers are only here to attend business functions (those who don't pay out of their own pocket), and so perhaps this could be a major reason this resort receives a lot of accolades. It's free for them!

I refused to look at a wall for 7 days, so I had to beg and plead to get moved to another room. I was on the phone with the front desk manager for at least 10 minutes and all she did was tell me that (1) views are not guaranteed (2) they're "fully committed" (3) she will put me on the wait list (4) she'd give me a 15% discount. What's the whole point of making a reservation then? IF views are not guaranteed, then what's the whole point of making a reservation?! And because they messed up our reservation, why should it be our problem? It was an outrage. The front desk manager, Natasha, totally missed the point, I wasn't looking for an upgrade -- I was simply looking for the room that I booked.

After pleading for another room (I was close to tears at this point), she finally found a room, but we couldn't move to it until the next day. So, we had to live out of a suitcase for 24 hours. The next day, one would think that guest services would have called to notify me when the room will be available. No - nobody called. I had to follow up on my own. I called at 4pm (check-in) the next day and was told that the room was not yet available....really? 30 minutes later, still no phone call. I had to call back until the room was ready. Simply ridiculous. Four Seasons would have been checking up regularly on my family if this happened with them (but then again, FS has their act together, so this would likely not happen there.)

The rest of our stay fared pretty well until our last day. We thought we'd cap our Palm Beach vacation with a nice dinner. So, we went to the Top of the Point. Nice views, good service, good food. When we were done, we had asked the reception area to call for a shuttle. 10 minutes later, there was no shuttle (it was a 5 min drive). So, we called the hotel front desk, they said it was coming. 10 minutes later, still no shuttle. We called the front desk again and was told it was coming. Long story short, we waited outside of the restaurant for 40 minutes until we got picked up. By that time, several other guests of the hotel guests had finished with dinner. It was really done in poor taste.

It was truly a painful and unfortunate experience. I was looking forward to a relaxing and enjoyable week's long vacation, but instead I was faced with a stressful situation and didn't feel like I was on vacation. I had seriously considered moving to another resort, but was told that I'd forfiet my deposit. They just wouldn't give me any options and there was just no way out of the bad situation. I felt trapped. It was just bad!

Fortunately, we didn't have any further service issues outside of the front desk. The staff at the golf center were great and made us feel extremely welcome, and the food and service at all of their restaurants were amazing. And their workout programs are enjoyable. It's just so unfortunate that we had to deal with such inconvenience with the front desk. The last thing anybody needs from a vacation is to worry about anything.

So much for the Breakers. I think it's overrated.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
12  Thank KateAlways
Reviewed September 6, 2013

For our wedding anniversary my wife selected a dinner, night and breakfast at The Breakers. It is hard to write about this hotel where everything must be marked A+. Beautiful apartment with breathtaking view, flowers and fruit as a welcome package, the gold and white bathroom and unobtrusive and silent air-condition. The dinner could be served at Maxim's in Paris, the staff attentive, efficient and friendly without being too personal. Next day - at the breakfast, the same thing. Our best breakfast experience was in 1988 in Montreal, Canada, however this one one was equal. Thank you people at The Breakers for this memorable event!

Room Tip: Any room with beautiful view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ota R
Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

The Breakers is the best in everything! My husband had a meeting her & even the event meals were so unlike any event meals I have ever had. Awesome! Rooms were great & service was super. Everyone goes out of their way to make your stay the best! Did spa treatments & was very pleased! Would love to return!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The Breakers was quite an introduction to Palm Beach. Alot of grand hotels have faded over the years but The Breakers has managed to stay up to date without losing its character. Everyone from the valet, to the waiters to random employees I would ask directions from were gracious, friendly and attentive without knowing whether or not I was a guest. The food and the amenities were exceptional, pricey --yes but well worth it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ssrrNY
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Luxurious resort with friendly staff, excellent food and even better accommodations. It is not too far from the airport, but far enough that it feels secluded and serene. Many pools, small beach and snack bar / bar options are all available within walking distance. Great place for events as well.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
#1 of 5 in Palm Beach Shores
Hyatt Place West Palm Beach Downtown
Hyatt Place West Palm Beach Down...
#8 of 34 in West Palm Beach

Been to The Breakers? Share your experiences!