“Everything You'd Expect”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Estero, Florida
“Everything You'd Expect”
Reviewed November 19, 2011

The Breakers is everything you would expect of a luxury resort on Palm Beach. The service is outstanding and the hotel is breathtaking. It is classic and elegant on every level. The only disappointment was The Italian Restaurant...it was overflowing with kids and the food was mediocre at best. Other than that, it was a perfect getaway!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank happycj24

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Lawrenceville, New Jersey
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Spent 3 days with the Korbel/ADT Skill Challenge in November and loved the experience (for the second time) at The Breakers. The staff is everywhere to accommadate your every need. Food and beverages were great compared to other hotels. Room was luxurious. Now if they could only do something about the rough surf, it would be perfect. If you want to be treated like royalty, The Breakers is a giant leap ahead of the competiton.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank lovetheheat2002
Reviewed November 9, 2011

We were eager to check in and get to the pool and beach quickly so as not to waste one of our precious days here. Unfortunately, the Breakers had a different agenda. My pregnant wife and I requested a room with a king bed. Upon arrival, they had made an error and had us recorded as requesting two doubles. I had an email confirming our request so knew that the error was on their end. After arguing for 10 minutes about who's error it was even though I had an email confirming that it was their error, their solution was to downgrade me to a smaller room category with no mention of reducing the rate until I requested it  (I still don't think they actually reduced the rate because I was checking in two rooms in the same category. Their room rate was the same as ours. When I commented that the rates were the same, she raised their rate and said theirs was a mistake.  We are here with a large convention and know the negotiated rate. It was correct at first, not once she raised it.  What a scam).  I tried to reason with the person that since it was their error, it would seem to me that good customer service would be putting us in an upgraded room as opposed to a downgraded room for their mistake. That logic seemed to be lost on the person helping us. I asked to speak to the manager and was informed that she was one of the front desk managers. She said she would see what she would do. After delaying our check in for almost 40 minutes she determined that a downgrade was the only option she could offer. In an effort to simply get to enjoy the dwindling daylight hours I just took whatever they were offering and requested that we got a room with a bathtub. She said no problem.  We got to the room and I'm sure you can see where this is going... No bathtub. The worst part is that when I called to ask to switch to a room with a bathtub, she said that she realized as soon as I walked away that she had made a mistake and didn't give us a bathtub but I guess it didn't cross her mind to call our room before we started unpacking to let us know of her error. It is now 90 minutes after our arrival. We have essentially lost half a day of our already too short vacation and I am just finally getting into our room.

What a beautiful place but they make you feel like they are doing you a favor by letting you stay here.  I hope the rest of the hotel has better customer service than the front desk  otherwise all this beauty is simply wasted.

I asked to have the hotel manager call my room over an hour ago...

• Stayed November 2011
11 Thank CAPTAINRIPTIDE
Wolverhampton
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Great hotel, understated elegance. The breakfast buffet is not the best I have seen, but there is a coffee shop on the premises where you can get a quick continental breakfast to take away and eat outside in one of the lovely lounge areas. We had bad weather (storms and -albeit warm -rain) for some of our stay, so the beach was unfortunately closed, but there are plenty of pools to keep you cool. The surrounding area is also very nice, with plenty of rather upmarket (hence for me window-) shopping. All the hotel's eateries are very good, for different reasons, but the quality of food is consistent throughout. Our room was nice, recently refurbished and spacious enough to accommodate two adults and two children. In hindsight I would recommend paying more for a sea view, as this hotel's name is eponymous with its spectacular waves, crashing down below. It is a big complex, and you can easily lose yourself amongst the splendour of the ballrooms. It's valet parking only, but there is a great deal on where this is free together with all kids' meals, Sun-Thurs, and believe me, it offers considerable savings. Apparently the Sunday brunch is spectacular, but we didn't make use of this, as we thought it would be wasted on the children. It is set in a very affluent area, which is reflected in the prices all around you. Two nice restaurants outside the complex are Nick and Johnny's and La Cucina, both in walking distance, in the same street. There's also an ice-cream parlour wedged between the two. On a wet day go to the Gardens Mall, 20 mins drive away (I wouldn't bother with Boca Raton, although the concierge favoured it as it is bigger). The Gardens Mall is still a decent size and the shops are brilliant, especially if you travel with kids who are mad on Abercombie gear. Unlike New York, where you can't get near the shop, let alone enter it to part with your money (crazy), here you can browse at a leisurely pace without any hassle whatsoever. Staff are hopeless, but that was the same in NY. I am not a big shopper, and my husband def isn't, but even he was pleasantly surprised by this mall. If you are golfers, there is a fab deal on for about $60 one adult plus child after 3pm at The Breakers Golf course right on site. And the PGA Museum and course in Port St. Lucie is also worth the 45 mins drive.

Room Tip: Choose a seaview, it is spectacular.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank FamilytravellerTA
nyc
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Elegant, clean, friendly. Not a bad thing to say.

Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank I1240DMdanielr
Reviewed November 1, 2011

A masterpiece of perfection! The staff is friendly, enthusiastic, and trained. The hotel is a work of art. The grounds are manicured better than the Masters at Agusta! The rooms are gorgeous with huge bathrooms. The Brunch, Flagler Steakhouse, and Top of the Point Resturants were all 5 Star for sure!! The Breakers experience is a standard of excellence like no other!

• Stayed October 2011
Juno Beach, Florida
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Everyone knows The Breakers has more stars than Colin Powell and is top, top rated! Did you also know it is the best place in Florida to get that "old family Christmas feeling" even if you can't afford to spend the night?

Living in Palm Beach County we love 75 degrees on Christmas Day. However, it's hard to feel like it's Christmas sometimes with all the sunshine. To get that special feeling for one night during the Holiday season we visit The Breakers and open with Champagne in the Tapestry Bar. Don't rush this moment and drink in the room, the tapestries and the ambiance. We follow with dinner is the Seafood Bar and Grill. While enjoying the wine and food we stroll the magnificently decorated lobby and hallways of this Grand Old Lady - The Breakers - and take pictures in front of one of their many Christmas Trees and enjoy the elegant Holiday lighting.

We walk in from the sun feeling good and walk out a few hours later feeling like it's Christmas in the East or Midwest or where ever you are from.

If you are fortunate enough to be able to take a room for a night or two The Breakers Experience is even more grand. Don't miss the Spa, the pools and if it's in your budget get a pool side Cabana for the day. You'll feel like you are living the life of Royalty.

Did I mention golf and the Flagler Steak House?

Uncle Larry

Room Tip: Choose a night when they are less full and ask for an upgrade.
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
#1 of 4 in Palm Beach Shores
Hyatt Place West Palm Beach Downtown
Hyatt Place West Palm Beach Down...
#8 of 34 in West Palm Beach

Been to The Breakers? Share your experiences!