“Mixed feelings...”

Ranked #1 of 2 Palm Beach B&B and Inns
New Jersey
“Mixed feelings...”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

There were pros and cons to our stay at this hotel.
The main pro is location - very close to the beach, shopping, etc. The staff was friendly but not always there. (the front desk is manned only a few hours a day). The rooms are nice and the beds are actually very comfortable. The decor is "shabby chic" which was fine with me but if you're expecting a 4 star hotel you'll be disappointed. We were able to borrow beach chairs and towels which was a great bonus.
Now for the cons... our room wasn't ready at the 2:00pm check-in time. Someone else's old food was left in the mini-fridge and hadn't been cleaned out, there were young, loud guests partying in the hall who woke me up at 3:45am, and the breakfast basically consisted of coffee and pop tarts. OK that was a bit harsh - there was also juice, bananas and yogurt but the breakfast spread wasn't impressive.
This is by far the cheapest place to stay in Palm Beach (though $300/night isn't really cheap), but as they say "you get what you pay for".

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Carolynvonm
PalmBeachHistoricInn, Manager at Palm Beach Historic Inn, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed our location, complimentary beach equipment, and comfortable rooms. However, I am disappointed to hear that some aspects of your stay were less than ideal. We are in the process of revamping our breakfast options and we have informed our housekeeping staff to be extra vigilant when cleaning all areas of the rooms, including the refrigerators. In addition, I am sorry your room was not available on time. This was a particularly busy time for us as a new Inn. In general, our rooms are always ready on time and I have spoken with the front desk about this incidence. I value you as a guest and would like to discuss your stay further. Could you please contact the Palm Beach Historic Inn directly and ask for the Manager, Alicia. I look forward to hearing from you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Polish first
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Very friendly hotel staff. Clean rooms with comfortable beds and basic furnishings. I think with a bit more interior decorating with upgrade to the furniture this could be a real gem. The air conditioner was a bit loud but kept the room cool. There are no blackout curtains so if you are a late sleeper this could be an issue. There is a good flight of stairs and no elevator to the rooms on the second floor which may be a problem for some with mobility issues. The location is great for old town Palm Beach.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank WeLoveGoodFoodToo
miami
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Had a great weekend here couldn't have asked for more. Great location, beautiful, charming and relaxing. We were even upgraded to a suite which was fantastic. The beds were delicious and cozy. A hidden gem indeed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 4, 2013

As others have suggested the location is fabulous! You do not need a car but if you do have one . . . make sure and reserve a parking space with them for $15/day otherwise you have to move your vehicle every 2 hours and meters by the beach are $5/hour.

Room #124 - Princess is right on the street and across from the clock tower which chimes every 15 minutes from 9 am til evening so unless you are an incredibly sound sleeper it is not the room for you.

Breakfast is "weak" with a bowl of banana's and oranges - a toaster with some jam - dry cereal and doughnuts . . . definitely not the kind of B & B breakfast one becomes acustom to if you are a B & B person like I am.

It is a great value for the $$ given the other options at this price point and the general price point of Palm Beach accomodations overall.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the back of the building would appear to be the quietest . . .
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank 237Ann
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My husband booked the Grand Suite for us for a special occasion as a "staycation" on the Island. This was the perfect choice - location, location, location....as they say. You are right in the heart of Palm Beach, two blocks from the ocean and about three blocks from Worth Avenue, just steps away from some of the best restaurants on the Island. We actually walked to Charlie's Crab to meet friends for dinner, but our other favorite place to eat is across the street from the Inn - Buccan. The room was so welcoming. I love how the owner has kept some of the original charm of the historic property, especially the antiques and wood floors. The Inn is not at all pretentious and we felt very comfortable. I commented to my husband that it felt like we were staying in someone's nice guestroom in their home. The bed and linens were very comfortable and we slept so soundly. Although it's in-season and it was a Friday night, we did not hear any noise. Our room had a large bedroom and a smaller second room with a trundle bed and a another TV. There was a large closet in the second room and small but nice bathroom. The Inn, the hallway and our room was very clean and we were so pleased. The owner knew it was my birthday and left a nice note on the bed welcoming us and sending her wishes. In the morning we enjoyed coffee and conversation with the owner, Alicia. She is so friendly and made sure our stay was was memorable. Since the Inn does not have a kitchen, they offer continental breakfast with a wide variety of pre-packaged items, in addition to coffee and tea. They also offered water and snacks at all times in the same lobby area. We will definitely recommend this to friends looking for value and location...and a little piece of history...when they come to town!

Room Tip: Our Grand Suite was spacious, sunny and could sleep 4 comfortably.
1 Thank thetravelingtigger
Peckerwood Point, Alabama
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I just spent the last 10 days in sunny Florida. The first five were at Gasparilla Island and the last five were at West Palm Beach.
I arrived at the Palm Beach Historic Inn on the evening of March 18 checked in and parked my car. The next five days were wonderful. I was located in a second story in suite. Everything in the Hotel was immaculate, and it would be easy to tell if it were not because every thing was light colored and bright.

In the morning the staff provided a continental breakfast. There were among other things, miniature bagels and various fruits. I had a bagel and a fruit every morning. They also provided coffee and cappuccino. I always got the cappuccino. In addition to breakfast there were snacks and fruit available throughout the day at no cost .

I had arranged with the staff prior to arriving to have a parking place available. It costs$15/day. Some of the people were complaining about the tight parking but it did not bother me because I have a Mini Cooper. Even though I had a place I usually parked on the street at night.

The hotel is located a block from the beautiful beach. It is also about a block to the high end shops and very good restaurants. You can find the best stores in the world on Worth Ave. A short ride across the bridge to the mainland had you right in the center of a very vibrant night life. At the time I was there the WPB boat show was going on. It has to be one of the largest boat shows in the country if not the world.

My stay at the hotel and my time in WPB could not have been better. Perfect weather, perfect accommodations and plenty to do without the hassles of traffic you might find in other locations.

I will make the Palm Beach Historic Inn an annual destination from no on.

1 Thank Kizma
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Such a great improvement on our last visit to this hotel. Our room was very well furnished with very comfortable beds. Breakfast was very satisfactory with special mention to the varieties of coffee. Staff were very helpful and friendly.

I would recommend this hotel as being excellent value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms on north side are quieter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm Beach
Fairfield Inn & Suites Palm Beach
Hilton West Palm Beach
Hilton West Palm Beach
#3 of 34 in West Palm Beach

Been to Palm Beach Historic Inn? Share your experiences!