“Truly the best food we've had in Palm Beach!”
Review of Cafe Boulud

Cafe Boulud
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Boulud is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 84 Restaurants in Palm Beach
Cuisines: French, International
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Scenic view, Romantic, Large groups
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hibiscus
Description: Cafe Boulud at the Brazilian Court Hotel – one of Palm Beach’s most coveted dining destinations – has undergone a complete renovation! Experience the all new look and menu this season, just steps from Worth Avenue. The restaurant’s new design is lighter and elegant, achieved with unique touches like a shimmery ceiling made from sea shells and Pecky Cyprus, improved lighting, and warm wood flooring surrounding the glowing bar. The newly expanded bar is dramatically backlit and casts a resplendent glow through the room. It’s a must for cocktails before dinner, with an inventive new cocktail list and craft beers on tap, or enjoy the crowd and scenery; food is served at the bar throughout the day. The newly renovated terrace and private dining rooms are a destination for entertaining in style, whether for a lavish event or to host a memorable wedding day. The menu balances signature Boulud dishes and French favorites inspired by his restaurants around the world, with a spotlight on the region’s incredible seafood and produce. During the high season, jackets are preferred. Shorts and beachwear are not permitted.
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Cafe Boulud, in The Brazilian Court Hotel, was a refined and elegant restaurant dining experience. We couldn't get a later reservation, so ate at the very early hour of 5:45 on Saturday evening, but we never felt rushed to get the later reservations in. The room had tables spaced far enough apart so you didn't have to listen to other conversations. And this controlled the noise factor as well, so that you didn't have to scream to be heard (unlike at Taboo!) The waiter was friendly and understood and reassured us that all allergies would be taken seriously - and all meals would be altered if there was any dairy in anything on the plate.

It is haute cuisine, but not necessarily very inventive. The menu is a little confusing. You can see it online, so I won't bother repeating it, but just to say that it's divided into four different "styles" - which can all be mixed and matched, but it looks like you have to order all within that cuisine. I don't know why they bother, and then have to have the waiter explain it. Not a huge issue, but just take note. The chef was quite willing to alter the meals, dependent on allergies, which is refreshing in a vey good quality restaurant. Some chefs are such snobs they think that the meal has to be presented the way THEY want, otherwise, order something else. Yes, that has happened to me more than once!

There were four of us with the following appetizers - heirloom tomato salad, fresh greens and chèvre, sunchoke and artichoke soup and roasted beet salad. All were lovely to look at and fresh and tasty. My F-I-L enjoyed the soup immensely and said it was the best soup he had ever had!

As main courses, three had the same - as recommended by the waiter - striped bass, while I had the local pompano (a white fish), and we shared a bottle of Chardonnay. Both of the fish dishes were fabulous - perfectly cooked and beautiful to look at. Really very tasty.

We actually were able to order TWO desserts with no dairy in them (absolutely incredible!) - the
chocolate soufflé, with sorbet and the pear tart. The chocolate soufflé was lovely silky and smooth, as you'd expect, but the pear tart was bland and boring.

You won't go wrong with a meal here. You'll pay for it, but you do get what you pay for!

We've been to just about every good restaurant in Palm Beach and this really is the best. Other reviewers have suggested Taboo (my review to follow) but please, it's not even in the same league!

Reviewed February 21, 2013

If someone thinks this place is good, they just got fooled by the famous chef that MUST NOT be on site because it was certainly not all what it is cracked up in advertising to be. Personally I missed out on Taboo because we thought this place would be best. Ugh!!! I don't like Salmon colored napkins, salmon colored anything. Reminds me of 1970's. Napkins are so starched they walk away from my lap. I don't like servers making dumb jokes. We had that one! The one from NY that is a dork!.I don't like hostess's dressed like 13 yr old hookers prancing back and forth past my table 27 times in 2 hours. Yes, the bathroom was dirty! The place is old feeling- like needs remodeling... and it is very loud. Yes the food is overpriced of course and expected ( the area is awesome) but the value and the quality of the food was purely not there in comparison to many many other restaurants in PB. Get rid of the staff. Change the china and the colors! Clean up your bathrooms and get an new valet service otherwise this place will be a 'has been'.

1  Thank Debra S
Reviewed February 2, 2013

While staying at the adjoining Brazillian Court Hotel, my friend and I were going to have a late breakfast last Sunday. The snobby hostess curtly told us at 1030a that we would have to come back at 11, even though many people were still eating. No worries. At 1115a we came back and she brought us to a table in the beautiful courtyard, but directly in the sun. When I asked to have one of the many, many open shaded tables she insisted that those were formpeople who had reserved them (yes, all of them). Begrudgingly we took the exposed seat, suffered through service that was excruciatingly unattentive, and watched as shaded tables remained available the entire hour-plus experience. There are many fine restaurants in Palm Beach. I suggest you seek out one of the others where the people aren't disdainful of the "tourists".

4  Thank tim b
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We stayed at the Brazilian Court, so Cafe Boulud was "in house". That said, I would have walked from the other end of town for this gem. The wait staff was on top of our every need. The wine list was extensive and had lots of choices at each price point. The dining room was warm with just the right level of chatter. Best of all, the food was superb. The menu highlighted different regions and seasonal dishes. I had fish, beef, and several salads. All were beautifully plated and tasted even better.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

My wife and I frequent all of Daniel Boulud's restaurants in New York. We were looking forward to having dinner at Cafe Boulud in Palm Beach. Unfortunately we were incredibly disappointed with both the service and the quality of the food. While we were initially offered water, the waiter did not bother to take our drink order until we ordered dinner. While Daniel Boulud is known for his fine breads, the bread was tasteless at best. But the biggest disappointment was with our Mahi Mahi main course that was strongly recommended by the waiter. The zucchini in my wife's dish was bitter and both our dishes were bland and tasteless. The manager came by to ask how dinner was and we told him how disappointed we were with the food. He said he would tell the chef. Our waiter then came by to ask how we were enjoying our dinner and we specifically explained what we thought was wrong with the dinner. While we were told that management was aware of our strong displeasure with dinner, no accommodation, including thanking us for having dinner at the restaurant, was made. Bottom line, stick with Daniel Boulud in New York and avoid his restaurant in Palm Beach. There are many more wonderful restaurants in Palm Beach.

4  Thank Fred C