“So So”
Review of Colony Hotel

Colony Hotel
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Palm Beach
Reviewed September 7, 2006

The Good:

1. Walking distance to Worth Ave.
2. Bartenders
3. Lobby area
4. Pool

Not so good:
1. No newspaper delivered to room
2. No atm in lobby
3. Taxis take 15 minutes min to arrive to hotel.
4. Wireless internet does not work
5. No express check out.
6. very few restaraunts close by.

Stayed: August 2006
1  Thank conciergesyt

Reviewed July 5, 2006

A gal pal and I stayed at The Colony in April 2006 while in town for the ladies polo tournament finals at PBPCC. We flew in on a Thursday and stayed through Monday. We had a wonderful time, and largely due to the Colony stay.

From the moment we checked in, the service was exceptional. Our bags were promptly brought up to the two room mini suite, ice was delivered within moments of request, and the room was light, airy and immaculate. Beds appear new, lushly draped with a bevy of strikingly white pillows and fluffy down comforters. Closets are ample, with computer programmed safes. The bathrooms are standard, but good sized and well appointed. We requested an ironing board and iron which was also delivered immediately. A quick call to the front desk and our car was driven to the curb or a taxi called for our convenience.

We spent the first afternoon at poolside. The pool was immacuate and the other patrons were well heeled adults. The mood was peaceful and and quiet. This is not the place to come with splashing, screaming kids, thank you. The Bimini bar offers a full array of drinks and snacks while the Polo Lounge serves more upscale dishes. We tried them both. We had a quesadilla of some sort at the Bimini bar, moving to Oysters Rockefeller at a set table next to the pool. The oysters were the best either of us has ever had, period. We ordered another serving of the oysters and some shrimp, which were also amazing, to go with our chilled white wine.

On Saturday night, with my travel partner not feeling so well from all the partying the night before, we ordered dinner in the room at peak dining hour, 8pm. Not only did what we order arrive within twenty minutes, it was fabulous. We enjoyed a hearts of lettuce salad, prime rib, asparagus with hollandaise, a bottle of wine and a dessert to share. The food was prepared to perfection and the service was top drawer. By the morning my travel partner was right as rain and we carried on with our daily activities.

You should also know that we ordered room service every morning for continental breakfast and it too arrived immediately with a smile and perfect service. In addition, if on occassion housekeeping came by at an inconvenient time, they cheerfully agreed to come back later, and they did.

Along with other accolades, the hotel had no problem allowing my friend’s adult son stay the night a no extra charge in our suite’s pull out bed. Of course, we had requested this in advance and advised the staff that we would have two guests with us for the afternoon. He and his friend enjoyed use of the pool as well, with no dirty looks or additional fees. This has not always been the case in other upscale hotels, no matter how much you pay.

I have to say the only complaint we had is the attitude of the concierge, a middle aged woman with a non American accent. She was impatient and short with us when we asked for a flight confirmation the morning of our departure. Apparently she doesn’t like to have anyone stand at the counter while she works on the computer and told us she couldn’t do this if we were going to watch her, breathing down her neck! I have to say, we were stunned at the dichotomy of performance, given what we had experienced up to that point. Despite her behaviour, we would return and pay the high prices, as we feel we certainly got what we paid for.

3  Thank rustletpig
Reviewed April 3, 2006

Just returned from the Colony. They have improved the decor of the rooms but our bathroom was still of the older variety, very small, no place to put your toiletries. The rooms were clean and we had nightly turndown service, but after 3 days it was MORE THAN time to change our bed linens. The hallways need some improvement. The lobby is attractive and the poolside dining is beautiful! However, the servers in the Polo Restaurant are COMPLETELY unprofessional. At dinner, our waiter was actually "fresh", and when my husband inquired about the vintage of 2 different wines, the waiter just brought the more expensive wine and opened it without checking it with us first. Breakfast could be so lovely in the setting but SLOW and almost impossible to GET what you order. The location is great, walk to the beach, the pool is beautiful!

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank curtiss
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed March 14, 2006

You see the reviews and they are mixed. You see the pictures and you think, well it must be good. It's right in the heart of Plam beach, yet it shouldn't be. How a place so historically known can be poorly run is just beyond me. If you're looking for location and don't care about service, cleanliness, or charm, then do stay there - but if those mentioned play any part in your vacation, please look somewhere else.

Maybe it was just me, but somehow I doubt that.

• Stayed: March 2006
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
NY
Reviewed October 2, 2005

About seven years ago I had my first stay st the colony hotel in Palm Beach. It was a wonderful experience, over the years it has only IMPROVED. The renovations I've seen over the past years have transformed this classic palm beach hotel into a south coast luxury with all the modern day neccessities and without the attitude that most other palm beach hotels are known for. Staff is friendly, attentive and knowledgable. Rooms are beyond cozy with the most comfortable beds youve ever slept in. Food is a highlight, especially with the new steakhouse-well worth it! The pool is equipped with a bimini bar for those afternoon margaritas. The Royal room is a great way to see some great cabaret acts in a romantic NYC inspired fashion. The GM personally greated me with a welcome basket for my fifth year stay.Overall I'd have to say that The Colony is great for all types of vacation goers, and will suit whatever it is you might be looking for in a great trip-whether it is to relax or to live it up in the hot florida sun. I COULDN'T IMAGINE A FLORIDA WEEKEND WITHOUT THE COLONY!!

• Stayed: April 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York
Reviewed September 28, 2005

I'm sad to say that I have been disappointed three times at this hotel and will not be returning. While the first stay should have been enough to discourage a repeat visit, the Colony's location is ideal for me-an out-of-town decorator with several active projects within walking distance. Indeed, in the spirit of full disclosure, the location is ideal if you want to be close to town. If you're looking for a beach vacation, there are far better alternatives available than walking the block to the public beach-try the Breakers if you want to be in town and experience Palm Beach; or the Four Seasons if you don't mind being so far out of town and want fabulous service, lovely rooms and a great pool/beach. Back to the Colony--the lobby is fine-"Bermudaesque" if you will. On all three occasions, check-in has been slow and disorganized-the phone rings in the midst of your registration, the one person at the desk answers it and when she finally gets back to you, the phone rings again, it's answered and on it goes. So much for a warm welcome! Indeed, from the first moment at the Colony, the tone for the disappointing service to come is set. On one stay this summer when the hotel was virtually empty, the hotel had no record of my reservation. While I produced a written confirmation notice, the woman at the front desk needed close to twenty minutes to figure out the situation. While she was perfectly pleasant, this is not a good start for someone in a service business. As of September 2005, the hotel is being painted and under some sort of top floor construction, something you are not advised of when making a reservation.The elevators are rather run down but not as much as the hallways you will soon see. Each time I've stayed at the Colony, I've been shocked at how dingy the hallways are and disgusted at the number of half-eaten room service trays left outside rooms. In addition, on all occasions, doors to what appear to be unoccupied guest rooms are left wide open-I was somewhat concerned about being assaulted. The rooms are fine if you don't mind small (some would say tiny) and dark. They are similar in feel, although several steps below in quality and a number of square feet less in size, similarly priced rooms at the Breakers. The bathrooms are recently redone and adequate but I couldn't help feeling that the Colony was trying to emulate the bathrooms at the Four Seasons (or any other high end hotel for that matter) without spending much money and using 1/4 of the space. They are tiny which may explain why some of the bathrooms do not have bathtubs. For the most part, it's chrome fixtures with white tile-perfectly functional just no zip. Beds are very comfortable which is good since they occupy 85% of the room. To sum up to now, the rooms are fine, just nothing special. My main complaint with the Colony is service. On my most recent stay, I had the luxury of a morning off and didn't need to get up until 9am. That was my plan until 8:21 when garbage trucks parked in the alley that my room (226) overlooked and grinded and compacted and whatever else garbage trucks do, for a full 15 minutes. (I had resigned myself to my alley and stucco wall view the night before, but I would recommend to any one foolish enough to pay for a room at the Colony that they make an inquiry about as to the view from their accommodations.) While I realize that 8:21 is not the crack of dawn, Palm Beach is a resort and I imagine that some hotel guests might relish sleeping in. I called the front desk to complain and was primly told that they were sorry for the "misunderstanding." As there was no "misunderstanding" I decided to ask to speak to the manager upon checkout later that morning. The assistant general manager, Karen K-something came out from her office with an annoyed look and when I politely explained the situation and registered my disappointment, her response was that guests had been staying in the room for 57 years and no one had complained yet (I'll bet) and furthermore, she lectured me, the Colony has no control over the Town of Palm Beach and its garbage trucks. (I'll bet again-Palm Beach hotels/tourism bring in a huge amount of business and I'm certain that some acceptable arrangement is commonplace.) I was looking for nothing more than an apology and what I received was a snide dismissal. Had I had my wits about me, I would have suggested that this woman pursue another line of work. She clearly should not be in the hospitality industry or dealing with people in any capacity. My call and telephone message to the general manager later in the afternoon went unreturned. No big deal since I won't be returning to the Colony again and would suggest that anyone seeking a place to stay in Palm Beach look elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled on business
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 22, 2005

We were promptly and courteously greeted by the valet staff and our needs were immediately met. Kim, our check-in specialist, as well as the other staff, were very accommodating and made our stay, albeit brief, very welcoming and comfortable. Our valet (forgive me for not remembering his name) was very informative and polite. I dare say that although the rooms were somewhat small, there was no lack of attention to the details that make the difference between a nice hotel and a superior one. Once we checked in, the staff always called us by name and were very responsive to any needs or requests that we made upon them. I cannot recommend this excellent staff highly enough! Our king size bed was probably the most comfortable in which I've ever rested in a non-home setting. My appreciation to the owners and staff of The Colony for making simple folk like us feel special and appreciated!

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled on business
Hilton West Palm Beach
Hilton West Palm Beach
#3 of 34 in West Palm Beach
Four Seasons Resort, Palm Beach

Been to Colony Hotel? Share your experiences!