“Authentic Mexican Fare-Muy Bueno!”
Review of El Sombrero

El Sombrero
Ranked #3 of 153 Restaurants in Palm Bay
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 25, 2014

I was out looking for seafood, but the spicy side of my palate drew me to El Sombrero in Palm Bay, FL. What a great choice! Was pleased with my meal, 3 different enchiladas with rice and a coleslaw, not mayo-based. Yum! Buy one, get one drafts? Excellent topper to this meal!

Reviewed August 25, 2014

We were excited when we heard that the former owners of Rancho Viejo had opened a new Mexican restaurant and as fans of the former spot (in earlier years especially) we immediately visited. The decor was nice, new and modern, it looked pretty busy and we were ready for a treat, even though seated in the middle of a large area while many booths were available.
Our second clue that things weren't great was when we asked the pleasant waiter about the special on the board, he said he didn't know what it was and had never tried it. He had no interest in finding out, either, until pressed, even though it was the one and only special for the day.
When we ordered my daughter was surprised to discover that while you could get 4 tacos in beef or pork when she asked if she could get 2 beef and 2 pork the answer was just "No". I had the steak fajitas, included guacamole and sour cream but when it arrived the steak was minimal and the amount of onions was massive, basically onion fajitas with steak. When I pointed this out to the waiter he was unconcerned and would only take action after I complained strongly, said I wasn't eating it and took the attached picture of the onion fajitas.
Then, to their credit, the manager did appear and brought some supplemental steak to even out the mixture but not left with a great feeling. Other two members of our party also not interested in returning. A few menu oddities, spelling, price discrepancy noted on the kids meal.

Mediocre service overall despite the good drink refills, mediocre food, El Chicos or Fiesta Azteca both better choices in my opinion, a disappointment. If you want to try it I suggest you visit soon.

1  Thank WallyFL
Reviewed August 22, 2014

Great restaurant, great food, exceptional service. Server Cambron was very attentive even as busy as he was. Will ask for him again. Had four different meals and all were delicious. One of us had 2 for 1 margaritas and they were very tasty. Price was excellent and had enough food to take some home. Will visit again..

2  Thank Kenneth T
Reviewed August 21, 2014 via mobile

First time we were here, I noticed a few familiar faces from the extinct Rancho Viejo, which was a fairly decent restaurant that closed down the street. I was incredibly impressed. Eclectic modern decor with a hint of Mexico thrown in. The service was excellent, bit the good takes center stage. Starting with the salsa, you can actually taste all if the flavors with nothing overpowering. Outstanding. Everything we gave ever ordered has been delicious, the service excellent, and fair pricing. You definitely get your money's worth

Reviewed August 21, 2014

Good Authentic Mexican Food with great service. Starts with a complimentary chips and salsa. Good menu choices with my favorite the enchiladas, fajitas, tacos, and much more. Try an order of queso dip with the chips and the two for one Margaritas.