“Great meal, better atmosphere, nice people”
Review of Rooney's

Rooney's
Ranked #18 of 150 Restaurants in Palm Bay
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Melbourne, Florida, United States
“Great meal, better atmosphere, nice people”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I've eaten there four times in the last two weeks, keep coming back for more. I had a Grilled chicken salad and it was perfect, lots of chicken, garlic balsamic dressing that set if off just right. Wednesday I had the roast beef sandwich au jus, if I spelled that right, delicious, melted in my mouth. The week before it was the Ruben, wonderful, then before that a smother chicken breast with artichokes and all kinds of deliscious. I've had the fish fry and the Rooney,s burger, both good too, but I think I like the conversations and the sevice from Brittany and Cristy better, such nice people I have met there, getting to be a favorite hangout of mine.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank JBAukamm

Palm Bay, Florida
“Good plain food, very good seafood”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I have been going to Rooney's once or twice a year for a long time. I like going during the day when it is quieter. They have a menu with a large variety of food. Their specialty seems to be deep fried fish in general and their Friday fish fry in particular. The portions are very generous and reasonably priced. The service is attentive and friendly. They have a large outdoor dining area and plenty of parking. I don't know why I don't go there more often.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank JackofPBFL
Pahoa, Hawaii
“A place where everyone knows your name”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We were in Melbourne visiting my partner’s parents for the holidays and they took us to Rooney’s. Established since 1981, this family-owned restaurant is extremely popular and it is THE PLACE for locals to take visitors to, especially for the famous fish fry dinner on Fridays! Fun, casual atmosphere, it feels more like a cozy tavern, completed with an exceptional friendly waitstaff and jovial crowd of patrons! Classic movie stars photos and vintage memorabilia (signs, posters, license plates, etc.) cover the walls, nostalgic 50s and 60s music on speakers, and because of the holidays, the place looks extra festive with all the colorful decorations.
The fish fry dinner platter ($9.99) comes with an enormous piece of haddock (battered and deep fried) served with a large heap of fries, hush puppies and a cup of coleslaw. We also ordered a basket of sweet potato fries. The haddock was excellent: golden crispy on the outside and the fish inside was tender, succulent and flavorful. My partner and I enjoyed the fish meat by itself (after peeling off the deep fried batter layer) with a big squeeze of fresh lemon juice! The coleslaw was also very good and so was the sweet potato fries (not too greasy). The waitress remembers our parents’ names from the last time they had dinner here, how sweet!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank punacoast
Palm Bay, Florida
“Will go back.”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Very good, we got there early before the dinner crowd and and seating was excellent. It can get busy on weekend evenings and it can also be loud. Our drinks were served immediately and orders taken promptly. Dinners served HOT! (which we a finding this to be the exception) waitress was friendly but not hovering. We will go back since their menu options were many.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Missmymts
Sebastian, Florida
“Great Fish Fry”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Rooney's is a great place to go for a casual lunch or dinner. It's nothing fancy, just good old fashioned down home cooking. We like to go on a Friday night for their fish fry that's the best we've found in the area. The fish is lightly breaded and fryed beautifully, not underdone, or fryed to death, just perfect. The piece of fish is so large it hangs over the sides of dish. It comes with cole slaw and hushpuppies. I always select french fries. The fries are perfectly done, and not at all greasy. My husband loves their country fried steak which is tendor and tasty. They have two dining areas inside. One of the areas is in the bar section. I would not recommend eating in this area as it tends to get noisy. We like to sit in the area behind the bar. They have both tables and booths and both are very comfortable. I would suggest getting there early or be prepared to wait an hour or more in the winter months when the Snowbirds flock to the area. They also have a fish basket on the menu which can be ordered everyday. The fish fry however is only available on Fridays. Whether you want a great fish fry or a down home cooked meal, give Rooney's a try and I'm sure you'll return again and again.

• Visited June 2012