“The Love Shack”

The Shack Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 153 Restaurants in Palm Bay
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Old owners are back along with great food!
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I enjoyed this restaurant. It was Halloween Eve and you could tell a major party was in store for Halloween. My glass of Malbac was a good 10 oz pour, not the shotglass pour most restaurants serve...and only $7. My Mom and I had the Grouper, pan seared, along with a potatoe and salad. It was very filling and the service was attentive. Will they ever build a bride to the Melbourne Beach side right about where the Shack stands, so you dont have to drive around on Rt 192 or go to Vero Beach and come in from the other side? How about a Shack Ferry Service? Bill for 2: 100 smackers.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

My wife and I have been visiting relatives in the Melbourne area for many years and the Shack was always included in the places we all went as a group. This time there were just three of us and we were disappointed in just about every aspect. The restaurant must be in a large state of decline. It was a Saturday night at 7:30 and the place was 25% occupied which was very unusual based on past experiences. There is a fine line between a restaurant being quaint and rustic and old,dirty, and unkempt. The line was not so fine that evening. We had reservations and stood by the hostess desk for a few minutes before a harried waitress walked by saying someone would be right with us. A few more minutes passed and we were finally seated. My wife ordered grouper which was just OK. My sister-in-law ordered a pasta dish with a seafood variety in a broth. She liked it. I ordered the yellow-fin tuna and asked it to be cooked through. When I cut into it, the middle two thirds was not only red but still frozen! They took it back and let me order something else. I ordered a battered shrimp that appeared to be like the pictures of shrimp you see on packages at the super market. It was edible but not very tasty. Salads were warm and limp. Drinks were fine. The waitress tried but she did not handle the problem all that well. She certainly did not appear to have much help from management which was either absent or very inconspicuous. The restrooms were dirty and poorly maintained. We have taken this off the list for our next visit.

3  Thank Albert C
Reviewed September 28, 2013

The Shack holds a special place in my life. Over 20 years ago I moved to Palm Bay from Ohio and my wife and I went to The Shack and couldn't believe the view! It was March and in Ohio the snow as blowing hard, yet sitting that day at The Shack and seeing the birds dive-bombing into the water, the ripples of the current, and the overall atmosphere made us feel welcome. I can't remember what we ate that day, but I vividly recall the feeling that I just described.

This restaurant serves good food at reasonable prices, with a very friendly staff. I have eaten there dozens of times over the years and I have never been disappointed. The Grouper is awesome, the Chef's Salad tastes great, the Prime Rib is mouth watering...etc.

If your looking for a unique place to take a date, or your family is wanting a nice change from their normal hangout, The Shack will meet their needs.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

First of all, they take reservations. I do not wait an hour to eat my meals. Secondly, the are right on the river so you can have the view indoors or out, but they do have booths in the back which is where we always sit as it is quieter and more intimate. They always have a selection of fresh fish and on the menu is a list of ways you can have it prepared. I have tried all of the methods on grouper and my personal preference is Francaise. This is the BEST grouper dish I have ever eaten, and that includes restaurants in St. Maarten. The fish is usually bigger than the plate and you may have to take some home. The price is reasonable, they have a full bar, and the service is friendly and attentive. This is one of my favorite restaurants, and I am a local so I've been to more than a few around here.

1  Thank RichC32958
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Good place for seafood in general, a little pricey for atmosphere, on the water, great view, service excellent, very relaxed.