“Best Japanese Restaurant”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Melbourne, Florida, United States
“Best Japanese Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

We had passed Hioki's restaurant many times but never visited it until it was reviewed by the local paper.
Because I don't eat meat and very little fish, it is sometimes, in fact most often, hard to find a good restaurant.
The staff is most welcoming, the setting is very traditional.
I was there several times, but usually get the shrimp or vegetable tempura, which is very fresh, and not at all greasy, which it sometimes be at other places.
My husband is a carnivore and always enjoys whatever meat dish he orders.
The ginger dressing is also very delicious.
Good food in Melbourne is extremely rare, so please visit this small, family owned business.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Cindy M

Gainesville, Florida, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Perfect 10/10”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

Hioki's has the freshest seafood of any restaurant of which I can think. In addition, the sushi is excellent.The atmosphere is cozy. the food is delicious, and all of the staff is very friendly. It's always a treat to see the owners greeting tables, as well. This restaurant is a must for anyone in the area.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Jason W
Florida
“Used to be great...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Very nice family owned restaurant but portions are so small now that we end up walking out hungry. The sushi pieces are too small for the price. Would love to go back when they beef up the portions.

Visited February 2012
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“"Pleasant ambience, great food"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

Whenever we visit our family in Indialantic, we beeline over the bridge to get to Hioki's for dinner.
The owner, Dana, bends over backwards to add to the nice experience. Looking through the windows, there is also a nice view of the Indian River. The ambience inside is pleasant, clean and relaxing. My son, who is generally a picky eater, devours the steak teriyaki. My preference is the mouthwatering curry chicken and Sashimi dinner; and my father orders the Sushi 7 piece dinner. The fish is fresh and delicious. The ginger salad dressing is tangy and yummy. We plan to dine there tonight again before leaving town tomorrow.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Sarah R
Palm Beach, Florida
“Not the great food we expected”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2011

We went to Hioki's based on rave reviews from multiple family members, but apparently we have very different ideas about what good Japanese food is like. The stir fried veggies were bland and had cauliflower... a little odd, but whatever. My husband had tuna roll sushi, and he said the fish was fresh. The teriyaki chicken was ok, but nothing to return for. The ginger salad dressing was good. The prices were high in comparison to the portion size- about $16 for the teriyaki chicken and $20 for the teriyaki chicken and shrimp that the hubby ordered. All of the aforementioned details made the restaurant an "ok" in my book- nothing to rave over but nothing worth taking my precious time to write a review over. What tipped the scales into th negatives and influenced me to write this review was the teriyaki shrimp. The shrimp was WAY beyond it's expiration date. Usually when shrimp's too strong and shrimpy for me, the hubby will still eat it... But for the first time in 12 years of our restaurant-going history together, even my husband would not eat the shrimp... now that's really bad! Needless to say, we will not be returning.

Personally, we prefer Makoto's for Japanese in the Melbourne area: the prices are reasonable given the huge portions, and the food is fresh and delicious and keeps us coming back. We're sorry we cheated on tried and true Makoto's for Hioki's... never again! ;)

• Visited December 2011