“Hey, you get what you pay for.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Floridian Resort

Royal Floridian Resort
Ranked #12 of 28 Hotels in Ormond Beach
“Hey, you get what you pay for.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

Everything about this resort is average. I know there are a lot worse places to stay in the Daytona and Ormond beach area. But we vacationed at this resort 3 years ago and it just seems to be headed in the wrong direction. I'll start by pointing out that 3 years ago there was no driving allowed on Ormond Beach, period. That has changed and the no driving zone has been shifted further down in Ormond, not to include Royal Floridian. So everyday half the beach area between the resort and the water is taken over by cars and Suv's destroying the ambiance and view until sunset. Check in was easy enough though I would like to point out that the short haired brunette never really acknowledges you or greets you. She just looks at you with a blank stare until you tell her what you want. I'm not sure if that's the type of person that should be behind the front desk. It's a bit off putting. The rest of the front desk staff are "cordial" and "efficient enough". I will give the resort thumbs up for not hounding you to purchase timeshare or a vacation package during your stay or as soon as you check in. I think they left one voice mail and a flyer under our door and that was it. They never directly approached us. The maids are helpful and really the only genuinely polite employees on staff from what I experienced. I think the pool staff and the tiki bar bartender all spend too much time getting wasted on the clock. The bartender can sometimes come off as rude or outright annoying most of the time and it's likely because he takes a drink every time he serves one. He's getting loaded but the drinks he fixes you are weak and watered down. The elevators run really slow for there to only be 7 floors and once inside, there is no ventilation. The rooms are clean and spacious though they could use some updating. We stayed in a 1 bedroom the last time and this time we had the 2 bedroom. The kitchen appliances were a bit dated and there was very little counter space to work with while trying to prepare a meal. The beds were not very comfortable. Our mattress was cheap and hard as a rock, which sucked pretty bad being that we were there for 7 full nights. In my opinion, it's also time to update both of their pools. They're both pretty small. We frequent the Orlando area resorts a lot and perhaps I'm just accustomed to having water slides, zero entry pools and lazy rivers that run around the resort in these modern times. But in Orlando, I realize we do pay more as well. Also, I was annoyed that we didn't at least receive 1 cleaning from the maid service and we were there for a week. The maids only come in and conduct a full cleaning if you stay 2 weeks. You get a full cleaning on the 7th day. Otherwise, you receive a "tidy" service which is only a trash change and a towel swap mid week. We were changing trash and swapping towels everyday on our own anyway! By the time they came to "tidy" I had already taken out the trash and swapped out towels that morning. So in closing, as my title says. You get what you pay for. Would I recommend this resort? Perhaps for those that are easily impressed, on a budget or are just on a weekend getaway and traveling with a large group. It's definitely a great "value" and you could definitely do a lot worse! For those accustomed to staying at higher end places, expect outstanding service and are staying for a week or more, I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to find yourself spending the week like me, making the best of it. Back to Destin/Panama we go for our next beach trip.

Room Tip: Stay in Royal Floridan (the old) not Royal Floridian South (the new). The rooms are all ocean front...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank beanz45

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Ocala, florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

We decided to come to the beach for a few days and remembered this resort. Looked online, found a great deal, and came. We were worried that the great deal meant ok room. The room was a cozy studio on the ground floor and was really good. We were concerned that we would hear noise because a lot of youngsters were close....we did not hear anything. What was even better is that we were within walking distance to restaurants, etc so we parked the car the whole time. The pool and beach were great even though cars are allowed on the beach. This was a great deal in a great location

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jimmmbobb
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

My children and I stayed here for a week in June. We had the 2 bedroom unit. The unit is large, with pull out couch. The view was fantastic of the Ocean. Only minor complaint with the unit was that they did not have a dish drain to put your dishes after washing. The pool area was nice with mini golf and a tiki bar (good drinks). the pool itself was OK, but it tended to have too much chlorine in it. The beach was fantastic! Beautiful, clean, not crowded. There were numerous daily activities for the kids including arts and crafts, hula hoop contests, etc. The hotel is in a nice section of Atlantic Ave, close to restaurants and supermarkets. I would definitely recommend for any family.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank noelle1156
Tampa, Florida, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Checked in recently on July, 4 2013. Stayed for 3 nights and I L-O-V-E-D it. I stayed in the 7th floor and had the most beautiful view of the beach and the outdoor pool. The place felt like home, it had everything. Only things I didn't like was that the indoor pool room area could use a touch up on the wall paint and the ceiling. The paint was chipped in certain parts and the ceiling looked a little raggedy. The outdoor pool made my brand new bikinis lose their color and turned them either blue or a lighter color than they already were. I suggest not being in there too long. Also in the south building, the right elevator is a little shaky. Otherwise, it was relaxing, the touch ups would make it perfect though.

Room Tip: Rooms in the other building (not the south) have spacier bedrooms and a larger balcony to enjoy the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

Just love this timeshare, the place is beautiful, the location is great. I booked for February and can't wait to go. I was there November 2012, liked it so much, I purchased a timeshare condo.
The master bedroom, was very spacious and the view was spectular. Don't miss staying at this condo. I had a two bedroom and had enough room for 6 people.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank kunks
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

I have stayed here four times in 2 years. I love this place. Employees exceptionally friendly and helpful. Prices are reasonable. This is a timeshare but I do not have a timeshare. I get online and rent. It is in a great location as far as restaurants and the beach. Just a few miles north of Daytona Beach so not as noisy. Across the street is Hershey's Ice Cream and Peach Valley Cafe (see my other reviews).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Deblovespets
Haines City, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

Easy check in on Friday May 17, 2013. We traded a one bedroom on Interval International and we were thrilled to get a one bedroom, walk out on the first floor. Upon entering the unit, we were amazed how SPOTLESS it was. The bathroom could use someupdating, but again, very clean. All the furniture was nice and updated, very Ocean-like in theme.Parking is underground and limited. Get home early or you have to park in the next building ! Granite countertops, updated appliances, nice dishes, glasses, cookware, etc. Everything you need is here for you. The staff are really helpful. We literally walk out of our unit, over a wooden walkway and there was the beach. Have never seen a more beautiful beach. No rocks, no shells, no undertow. You can rent chairs and umbrellas on the beach, but we brought our own. The beach itself is a 10+++ !! There is also a huge pool, shared with the Royal Floridian next door. Also a washer and dryer in every unit.. Loved that !! You are about 10 min from Daytona Beach and between Ormond Beach and Daytona, lots of great places to eat. We usually prefer the west coast of FL, but we've found a new resort that outdoes any place we have stayed. I am alreay on line on Interval International looking to come back here next year. Don't hesitate..Just book it..you won't be sorry! Immaculate, modern, great sunsets, beautiful beach, nice staff, reasonable restaurants local...This is the good life !!

Room Tip: We were on the first floor. No Balcony, just a patio. But we could walk right out onto the beach. Co...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Makai Beach Lodge
Makai Beach Lodge
#21 of 28 in Ormond Beach
Daytona Beach Resort and Conference Center
Daytona Beach Resort and Confere...
#16 of 102 in Daytona Beach

Been to Royal Floridian Resort? Share your experiences!