“Bad Experience”
Review of Sun Deck Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ormond Beach
Sun Deck Motel
Ranked #12 of 28 Hotels in Ormond Beach
Apopka, Florida
“Bad Experience”
Reviewed November 9, 2009

Like most reviewers I chose the Sun Deck Motel because of the rave reviews. I agree with most reviewers that if I had not had such a bad experience it would have been a great value. If I had written the review immediately upon my return home I probably would not be so gracious about my review. In short, the rooms do not have safes and we experienced theft during our stay. The theft was not just something we left out exposed. What was taken was tucked inside a drawer which means they had to actually rummage through our belongings to uncover what was stolen. The owners wife admitted during our stay that an employee was the guilty party but did not want us to discuss the incident with her husband. We were traveling with others and felt very fearful after we were informed, knowing that it was a person who worked at the Sun Deck Motel who had complete access to our room at all times. We were afraid at night as well as when we left the room unattended. We also left feeling completely violated. We spoke with Robert (the owner) and made him aware of our concerns and checked out with the understanding that we still needed to further our conversations with him. It has almost been 4 months and we still have yet to receive the phone call that was promised. Also, while we were there we made them aware of a German roach problem in our room. My husband had a soda on the nightstand next to him and went to take a drink only to discover a German roach on the rim of his glass (very disgusting!!!!). Thankfully he saw it before putting it up to his mouth. Now, that we have returned home some of those pesky critters must have hitched a ride home in our luggage and we now have a problem with German roaches in our own home. If anyone knows anything about German roaches they are difficult to get rid of as well as the added expense of it. After 4 months we are still suffering through and trying to eliminate the ongoing roach problem which we didn't have prior to our stay at the Sun Deck Motel. There were other small incidences that occurred yet I have written as much as I care to.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
7 Thank angel06071

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Daytona Beach Shores, Florida
Reviewed August 19, 2009

The owner and his son (Keith) are very attentive to the needs of their guests. My husband and I enjoyed our stay and felt the hospitality immediately upon arrival.
We felt welcomed on property during our entire stay.
The air conditioning was not working and it was replaced immediately to our amazement. Kudo's to the family duo.
Roger & Nan Louise
www.AHealthierYouEvent.Isotonix.com

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Nanlouise
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 1, 2009

The Sundeck Motel offers its guests a comfortable and affordable stay. The employees are friendly and helpful, and the rooms give a relaxing, home-like feel. The motel sits directly on the beach and is close to everything you need during your stay- grocery, bank, shops, restaurants,etc. The motel gives the comforts of a commercial hotel without the sky high prices or overwhelming amounts of people. I recommend staying at the Sundeck; it's quiet, affordable, and relaxing and offers all the comforts of home.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TamsD90
atlanta
Reviewed March 20, 2009

The Sun Deck is an older Motel on the beach, run by a friendly staff. Compared to Daytona, Ormond is more quiet and less touristy. The location is great; restaurants, grocery store, coffee, and bars nearby. Speaking of restaurants, Cuvee, Pip's and Betty's were all good!
While the hotel is older, the staff keep it neat and clean, and it attracts a friendly group of guests. The beach is quiet and right out the motel doors!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank medicalimaging
Georgia
Reviewed February 25, 2009

The Sun Deck is a great place to stay. It has great rooms and friendly people. The beach is so beautiful. It's like having your own private beach. You can walk to go shopping, eat or go to the bank. I wish I could stay forever. I recommend this motel to all my friends and family. : ) Janelle

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TikoGeorgia
Southwest Ohio
Reviewed February 19, 2009

Have always enjoyed my stay at the Sun Deck. Have been here several times in the last 5 years. Owner Robert and family run the motel. They will do anything for you. Rooms are very clean and roomy. Pet Friendly. Walk to stores.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JGordonFan24
Macon, GA
Reviewed September 17, 2008

Peaceful and serene environment with a breathtaking view of the ocean from any angle on the property. Friendly owners who are kind and courteous. Comfortable bed with high quality linens and furnishings. The room even had a nice comfortable couch with a coffee table in front. Also included high speed internet, which was required by my employer for my stay here. This was originally just a business trip, where I'd planned to stay at the cheapest, non-roach infested hotel, however it turned out to be a quality vacation. They even accommodated my dog! I even decided to stay another day and drive 1 hour north commute for my next days job, just to stay one more day at the Sun Deck Motel.

No pool and No phones in room.- Who needs a pool when you have the ocean and who needs a hotel phone when everyone has a cell phone! This keeps for a calm peaceful environment, not over-taken by tourists. Its like having your own peace of the beach while your here.

The mainstream hotel bracket here will run you $80-$125 for a 2 star hotel in the off- season. For the quality of a 4 star, you pay only a fraction. Maybe I should leave this whole paragraph out, just so I know something you dont know.

• Liked — The quality of the room for the price, and the 10 step walk to the ocean
  • Disliked — maybe the parking, but thats not a variable factor
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank colbynewman