“Great Property! Clean rooms, friendly staff. Will definitely return!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Makai Beach Lodge

Makai Beach Lodge
Ranked #21 of 28 Hotels in Ormond Beach
Syracuse, NY
“Great Property! Clean rooms, friendly staff. Will definitely return!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

My family of 14 ran into some serious problems at the Driftwood Inn (See my other review) and needed immediate last minute suites for 4 families. At almost 11 PM on a Saturday, Steve greeted us warmly and immediately eased our worries. He remained extremely professional and in no way took advantage of the unfortunate situation or even dirt-talked the next door neighbor. (Which would have been extremely easy.) To us, that meant a lot. He was very sensitive and genuine. He showed us a very clean room and promised that he would do everything he could to see that the very next morning all four of our families would have ocean front, joined suites. He ensured us that our vacation would be restored and that we would have an amazing time staying with Makai.

The next morning we returned and William carried out Steve's promise. We were amazed that He was somehow able to put us all in ocean front suited on the same floor. We had many children with us, so location of rooms was important to us.

The rooms were very clean, kitchens spotless. We had brought Lysol from our one night stay at the Driftwood. We cleaned up a bit and were amazed to find that even cleaning the bathroom floors, the wet paper towels came up perfectly clean and white. The AC was ice cold. The furniture in the room was updated and clean. There were decent TV's in each room, plenty big. Ours buzzed when we first arrived and within 10 minutes maintenance was knocking on the door with a brand new tv. Super nice guy. It was obvious that he enjoyed his job. He explained that they found that Zenith tvs didn't do well with humidity and they had replaced them all with a higher quality tv.

Grounds were very well manicured. Pools were awesome and super clean. The cleaning staff was very friendly and funny. One woman even helped me carry my bag to my room.

Free breakfast was great. Kids loved it. They had a million beach toys and rafts that you could sign out for the day. Again, the kids loved that. The elevator is convenient for bringing your bags up and down, though you could easily beat the speed of it by taking the stairs. (Probably better for you health-wise anyway since they are located within walking distance of some awesome restaurants.)

Tons of parking. Other guests were great. The overall vibe was that everyone was happy and felt safe. We met a lot of really awesome people.

My wife's Dolce and Gabana towel fell off our railing in the middle of the night and William held it at the front counter for her. He wasnt sure which room it was from.

We loved this place. Because of the hard work of the staff, our vacation was totally saved! We will definitely return many times in the future and hope the service, upkeep and cleanliness remain the same.

Thanks so much guys!!

• Stayed July 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2011

The wife and I had a wonderful time at Makai, we stayed there for a week with a 4th floor room overlooking the ocean. Our room had no kitchen and the front desk manager went out of her way to provide me with a coffee maker. cleaning ladies were very friendly and respected our privacy and only cleaned when asked directly. However this hotel is still under alot of "upgrading" as they were touching up much needed exterior painting. Front entrance door was stubborn to open, if staying, have a small can of "WD" as the balcony door did not slide very well either. left problems with the front desk as we checked out but overall, for the price and a beach front view, all in all it was a pleasant stay

Room Tip: if a room for two be sure to ask for a queen or king if possible, the beds are full size and not muc...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AndyandLydia
Delaware Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2011

I too was skeptical after reading some reviews, but I know how some people have a "champagne taste on a beer budget" and want everything!! We stayed for a week. We stayed on the 3rd floor beachfront in the main building and then the 2nd floor efficiency in the adjacent building. The room was clean and had pretty much everything we needed. (Mind you, they also accepted our dog). The beach is beautiful. The breakfast is fine, rolls, coffee, and juice. The staff was very very friendly and accommodating (we had to switch room due to extending our stay). This is a family hotel and, as I stated, we would definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Beverly C
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

I was skeptical about staying here after reading some of the reviews but use to work in the motel business & know how hard the business is so decided to give it a try.
We had a 3rd floor beach-side room. Opening the balcony door was hard but probably just needed some WD40. Once it was open we could sit out on the balcony where we had the most awesome view of the beach & swimming pool.
The room looked to be newly painted with new curtains and bedspreads. The beds were very comfortable with 4 pillows per bed. It appeared to have a new television along with a microwave and frig.
I saw several comments about doors having huge gaps or not closing securely but we had a brand new door that closed completely with security locks.
I saw no roaches or ants, I didn't have any noisy neighbors & we had no leaky faucets.
You could go straight from the pool to the beach or vice versa. A bonus was the really nice kiddie pool that my grandson wanted to stay in the whole time and the pool itself was very clean and refreshing & you could check out beach toys/gear for FREE!
My understanding was that this was a forclosed property & the bank did nothing to keep it up. The new owner(s) took over the first of the year and has been working to fix it up.
This isn't a fancy motel - it's more of a family type motel with people who want to play on the beach, swim or rest in the sun. Some rooms have kitchens, there's grills and picnic tables looking out on the ocean for those who want to cook out.
I would definitely stay there again - hopefully very soon!

Room Tip: Beach side has the best view!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Travelinggrandma001
Ormond Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2011

OK Let me set this straight....if you are paying 69-89 a night please do not expect The Hilton.However, for the rates and the staff its very accomadating.We enjoyed our stay here and will be back. I like the fact that the front desk lets you borrow beach toys and chairs free of charge and use them at your own discretion. The staff was friendly and helped us in anyway they could.Its at the northern end of Daytona BEach and alot of families come here.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank lexer027
Apopka, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2011

A couple of weeks ago I found myself in the pleasant situation of extending my visit in Ormond beach and found a vacancy at the Makai. From the moment I stepped foot into the lobby I felt very comfortable and at home, the rates were reasonable and the front desk client, who I believe was named Jackie was not only very friendly but knowledgable of the area and she was very helpful in making suggestions in finding the things I needed so that i had an enjoyable stay.

Upon arriving at my room it was very clean and tiddy, I truly was surprised by its the spaciousness and finding a kitchen. It certainly is set up for staying longer durations than i was planning but with its view by the beach, next vacation I take my daughter on it will be back here.

I also want to share that in the morning I had a plumbing issue and much to my surprise, both the front desk and maintenence was quick to help resolve the issue and particularly were mindful of my privacy and displayed good follow through. So thank you for a wonderful experience and next time I want to stay longer in Ormonf Beach I know where I'm staying..

Room Tip: Hmm...I can't think of one..
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank vonnegut1967
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2011

I stayed at the Makai Lodge back in April with a couple friends. All I've really got to say is its a dump. I got talking to locals and they said that the Makai Lodge is just starting the renovations from a hurricane that happened in 2004. If you don't mind sleeping in a smelly, water damaged, cock-roach infested hotel then, Makai Lodge is the place for you. The very first day we stayed, we found 3 cock-roaches about 3 inches long. Oh and did I mention their staff? Ive never met any staff as rude as them. I don't know why people who are writing reviews are trying to sugar coat things. On the third day I called the staff and told them that I did not want anyone in our room because we were going to Miami for the day. Which is a 4 hour drive. So they told me they would write it down but reminded me to put the "Do no disturb" sign out. So, I did just that. When I arrived back to the hotel room. they put our clothes back in our suitcases, cleaned the room, made our beds, and most importantly my camera was missing out of the safe that they charge you to use. I contacted them and they apologized but said the only thing I could do was call police and make a police report against their cleaning people. I made a police report and what do you know the second I made the police report Makai Lodge "somehow found it in their lobby..." Right? As if! All I have got to say is its the biggest dump I've ever stayed at and do not recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends