“If you want to stay at a friendly and reasonable priced hotel on the beach this is it!”
Review of Makai Beach Lodge

Makai Beach Lodge
Ranked #21 of 29 Hotels in Ormond Beach
Reviewed May 26, 2011

A couple of weeks ago I found myself in the pleasant situation of extending my visit in Ormond beach and found a vacancy at the Makai. From the moment I stepped foot into the lobby I felt very comfortable and at home, the rates were reasonable and the front desk client, who I believe was named Jackie was not only very friendly but knowledgable of the area and she was very helpful in making suggestions in finding the things I needed so that i had an enjoyable stay.

Upon arriving at my room it was very clean and tiddy, I truly was surprised by its the spaciousness and finding a kitchen. It certainly is set up for staying longer durations than i was planning but with its view by the beach, next vacation I take my daughter on it will be back here.

I also want to share that in the morning I had a plumbing issue and much to my surprise, both the front desk and maintenence was quick to help resolve the issue and particularly were mindful of my privacy and displayed good follow through. So thank you for a wonderful experience and next time I want to stay longer in Ormonf Beach I know where I'm staying..

Room Tip: Hmm...I can't think of one..
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank vonnegut1967
There are newer reviews for Makai Beach Lodge

Reviewed May 26, 2011

I stayed at the Makai Lodge back in April with a couple friends. All I've really got to say is its a dump. I got talking to locals and they said that the Makai Lodge is just starting the renovations from a hurricane that happened in 2004. If you don't mind sleeping in a smelly, water damaged, cock-roach infested hotel then, Makai Lodge is the place for you. The very first day we stayed, we found 3 cock-roaches about 3 inches long. Oh and did I mention their staff? Ive never met any staff as rude as them. I don't know why people who are writing reviews are trying to sugar coat things. On the third day I called the staff and told them that I did not want anyone in our room because we were going to Miami for the day. Which is a 4 hour drive. So they told me they would write it down but reminded me to put the "Do no disturb" sign out. So, I did just that. When I arrived back to the hotel room. they put our clothes back in our suitcases, cleaned the room, made our beds, and most importantly my camera was missing out of the safe that they charge you to use. I contacted them and they apologized but said the only thing I could do was call police and make a police report against their cleaning people. I made a police report and what do you know the second I made the police report Makai Lodge "somehow found it in their lobby..." Right? As if! All I have got to say is its the biggest dump I've ever stayed at and do not recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank JPSchaefer91
Reviewed May 8, 2011

My husband and I live in Orlando and often get-away to Daytona for the weekend. This was our first stay at Makai and we had a wonderful stay. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank lisalala1382
Reviewed April 19, 2011

My family,friends and myself have been staying at the Makai Beach Lodge for the past 20 years.Every spring we travel down from Tennessee.The Makai Beach Lodge is wonderfully located..Most high rise hotels have huge steps system down to the beach. The Makai has a small stairwell to the beach.My family have a hard time climbing steps.
The Staff at the Makai are wonderful.They work hard to make sure that your stay is wonderful.
We travel with a small dog.There is not many pet friendly motels or hotels in this area.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank TnGatorgal
Reviewed April 15, 2011

This hotel might have once been a beautiful place, but not at the moment! It is in desperate need of remodeling ASAP. The door was replaced, but that was it. The bathroom was circa 1970's as were the beds, furniture, carpeting, etc. We changed rooms once and should actually have left altogether. The faucet in the tub dripped all night despite repeated attempts to stop it. The breakfast room was filthy dirty! Ugh! On the bright side, the room was clean and the staff was great, but that does not make up for the rest. Hopefully, this hotel can be fixed up because the location on the beach was fantastic. In the meantime, stay somewhere else. We wished we had.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank jar_11
Reviewed April 13, 2011

Yes, it is old and they are doing a lot of work. But clean, QUIET, friendly and inexpensive. Room had new door, walls recently painted, new drapes, new bedspreads, new carpet, new flooring, upholstered chairs were nice, bath had new tile and new fixtures. Kitchenette was clean and functional but frig and stove were old. Microwave and toaster were new. Yes, some additional work is needed- trim around door, caulking, lighting fixtures, 1/ 4 of chairs at pool need replacement. WD-40 needed on balcony door track. Only complaint was that additional blankets in closet were old and need replacement but not all guests would use them anyway. Staff was friendly and efficient. View from oceanfront room was magnificient! Breakfast was fine-bagels, pasteries, juice, coffee. Bring a hairdryer and beach towels. For the price and with breakfast--this was terrific. They said they were working on getting internet in rooms-they need to do that.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 7, 2011

Booked this online via bookit.com. Horrible mess. A Scottish Inn looks like the Ritz compared to this place. Looks like it was closed for years, then just recently opened for business, without cleaning, and open during remodel. The only saving grace? The front desk staff were polite and nice.
I learned the hard way, if you do not know the place, do not book online.
Filthy dirty, toilet seat had been painted with outdoor paint instead of replaced. Furniture was ancient and severely warn. Carpet was even worse. Reeked of cigar smoke, lysol, air lifter, and dirt. Moved 3 times - each room was filthy and reeked of smoke... So much for the non-smoking room request. Building is concrete and has rebar and chunks missing, particularly on the walkways creating trip hazards...
Did not stay due to poor condition and filth... In the middle of refuting their charges.

Room Tip: Wait until after a full remodel
  • Stayed: April 2011