“Looking forward to the future!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Driftwood Beach Motel

Driftwood Beach Motel
Ranked #20 of 28 Hotels in Ormond Beach
Astor, FL
“Looking forward to the future!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for a few nights and were pleased with our experience! We were aware that they were re-modeling, and decided to stay anyway. The room wasn't 5 star, but knowing that they are working towards something better, we could see the strides they've made to upgrade, and we're excited to go back sometime soon to see what other improvements have been made.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ben H

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Orlando, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

My girlfriend and I just stayed here recently and I would give it a 4.0 out 5. After reading all of the mixed reviews I was very iffy about staying here. After seeing how the management had responded to mostly all of the bad reviews, we decided to give it a chance and boy are we glad we did.

We generally stay closer to Ormond-by- the Sea, but, the Driftwood’s location was AMAZING. Within minutes we could be at the shops of Daytona and North Turn, (our favorite place for lunch) or we could be in Ormond and our favorite dinner spot Snack Jacks (High Tides). If it’s your first time to Florida you can find everything so easily and enjoy fantastic restaurants within a 10-15 mile radius, or play Putt-Putt, which is directly across the street.

The room we had was not as bad as the reviews claim, we had a Pool Side room, with a great Ocean View, which we very much enjoyed and within steps from being on the beach. The Staff, especially Kelly (the Manager) were extremely friendly. Housekeeping (Vernell) always made sure we had towels or whatever else we needed. Additionally, we were able to bring our puppy, which was very nice as well.

The only con to the whole place was the limited amount of parking, which is free. If you don’t go into it expecting the Ritz Carlton, I am sure you will enjoy your stay as much as we did.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Sonny O
Alexandria, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I took my chances on this hotel as my original plans in Daytona Beach fell through at the last minute and rooms on the internet were scarce. There are many more hotels in Ormond that are not listed on the internet and most of them looked better than this place and posted less expensive prices. Don't fall for the pictures. This hotel was so bad that I didn't spend a minute longer in the hotel than necessary leaving my room in time for sunrise on a clean beach down the road and not returning until late evening. I'm sure a jail cell would have been better than this place. First, THE POOL IS DRAINED and therefore not usable, CIGARETTE BUTTS LITTER THE GROUNDS, THE ENTRYWAY TO THE BEACH IS BLOCKED with tools/equipment (how do they expect you to use the beach?), the beach in front of the hotel is filthy, EMPTY BEER BOXES litter the entryway to the hotel stairway. As an asthmatic, I asked for a smoke free room but SMOKING IS ALLOWED IN THE HALL so I had to walk through smokers to get to my room. What's the point?. When I checked in I asked about the free wi-fi and was told it was not working (I had to drive to McDonald's every day to use their wi-fi). The clerk told me the boss is "cheap". Bring your own coffee because, while there is a coffeemaker in the room, there is no coffee, creamer, sugar, cup or stirrer in the room nor is it available at the front desk. The window glass in my room was broken, the room safe did not work, the lock on the door to the balcony was rusted in the unlocked position and wouldn't lock. The balcony "furniture" was filthy, even after I cleaned it with my own Windex it still was nasty. The windows were filty and need a good cleaning but it would probably be easier to just replace the window glass; they are that dirty.. The beds and linens were clean but the sheets were not changed at all during my stay and the towels had holes in them. I found mold under the mat in the bathtub. The doors didn't seal properly so flyiing bugs shared my room with me. The grounds were terrible - unkept, outdoor furniture is disgusting and just NASTY. I tried to walk out to the beach the afternoon I arrived and couldn't get there for all the trash, tools/equipment and when I turned around to return to the hotel men were on their balconies gawking like perverts. Not a comfortable feeling. On a positive note, this hotel is 5 miles from Daytona where parking is plentiful (free 2 hour parking on Main Street) and the beach is beautiful.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank cwarren217
Driftwood657, Manager at Driftwood Beach Motel, responded to this review, March 18, 2012
We sincerely regret your experience! We would have gladly refunded your money had you asked. We do not want anyone to stay here that does not want to be here. We have a great client base that are return guests. Many have been coming for as many as 30 years.

Yes, the pool was drained for 5 days in January. That is the time of year for pool repairs. Our rates reflected the pool being down. One of the beach accesses had a wheel-barrow in the walkway, which only required walking around it. Our other beach access was free from obstruction.

Unfortunately, many guests do toss their cigarette butts on the grounds. We walk the grounds daily picking them up. We also clean the trash off the public beach in front of our property daily. Littering is unfortunate.

Your point about having a non-smoking room on the same floor of smoking rooms is very valid. We are redesignating smoking and non-smoking rooms to correct this issue.

Keeping beach front windows clean is a constant battle. We clean them weekly. Winter is the most difficult of times. We can clean windows and then a winter storm blows in the same day, and it appears they are never cleaned.

Yes, our patio and pool furniture is being updated. Since your stay, we have installed new fabric on most of the pool loungers. We still have more outdoor furniture slated for replacement.

Unfortunately the property was previously taken back by the previous owners' bank.. The bank did not maintain the property. The new owners are diligently working to correct all issues.

We deeply regret your experience not being pleasant. We are working to upgrade the property and welcome constructive criticism. Our rates reflect the state of the hotel. We are updating the property and rooms continuously. In the meantime, we provide clean rooms, oceanfront for a fraction of other beachfront properties.

Our sincerest apologies to you and yours for your unhappy experience!

Travelers are raving about these Ormond Beach hotels

Duncan, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

I stayed at the Driftwood many years ago and it is very different now. They have really cleaned it up a lot, new paint, new floor tile, etc. The internet is really good now, they just finished wiring everything new last night and it was like it used to be and then all of a sudden 5 bars and lightning fast. For me that was the best part. I can't wait to see the pool when it gets done.

Room Tip: Take a oceanfront with patio, well worth it to sit out there and watch the beach.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Jeremy H
Corpus Christi, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

My family and I stayed at this hotel and had a great time. They have a new Manager and Owner and have replaced their maintance crew. Sorry for the loss of goods from other guests, but we stayed at a Hilton one time and one of our friends had their purse stolen.(it happens everywhere). We stayed in one of the bigger suites(2bedroom). Though they are still doing some remodling these rooms were clean and if we needed anything they accomodated our every need. The prices are reasonable and it is a medium to go anywhere north or south and, oh, did I mention they have a mini putt-putt right across the street. Our kids loved it. Daytona Lagoon(water park) and Ocean Walk just minutes away. We will defintely stay here again and again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank SurferintheUSA
Syracuse, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

I am from a large family who has built unforgettable Daytona memories at the Driftwood for a decade. We have countless photos and videos of our children growing up here. It has always been a wonderful time.

We have not been able to visit Daytona the past two summers, so we were really excited to return this year with 14 family members. We read the nasty recent reviews on Trip Advisor regarding the condition of the Driftwood and decided to look past them. We've stayed here countless times in the past and it has never exactly been the Ritz, but we've always made it work for us. We assumed the people making the negative reviews were just a bit snobby and maybe expecting more than they were paying for. It is a motel after all, and not one of those fancy chains.

We arrived and there was only one car in the entire parking lot. The woman at the front counter was a sweetheart and seemed quite stressed. A few days before we arrived, they had a water main break in the building that our suites were located in. We were never notified. The woman tried to accommodate us in the best way possible by shuffling us around to the best rooms she had available. We really appreciated that. We wanted to have rooms that were close, since there were plenty of children, but we understand that problems happen.

There was a maintenance employee in the parking lot breaking up the tarmac and digging up the sewage line by hand with a shovel. To us, that seemed a little questionable.

When she walked us to our room, she explained that the lock on the door facing the pool was broken. We noticed bugs all over the walls that hadn't been cleaned off, but rather spray painted over. There was dog urine all over the inside of our door. (I know because I cleaned it later that night.) The room was extremely musty, but she explained that no one had stayed in there for a couple of weeks because of the lock issue. No problem. We turned the temp on the refrigerator to it's coldest setting and headed over to Publix, got some groceries and got the biggest can of Lysol they sold and some candles. We needed to make that place bearable for the next week. Upon arriving back, we spent 2 of our own hours scrubbing the walls, doors, counters and floors. Surprisingly, most of the painted over bugs came off the walls with a little elbow grease. (I just couldn't bear to look at them and take photos with them in the background.)

The rest of our family members arrived that night and to put it lightly, were extremely upset with their rooms. There were no baseboards where the floors met the walls. You could literally It was just reach your hand up the inside of the wall at any given spot in their room. Oddly one of the rooms had a waterbed. Waterbed in a hotel room?

Our son went to have a bowl of cereal at around 9 pm and the milk was warm. Surprise! The refrigerator in our room was broken. We called the maintenance employee and he agreed to carry up the fridge from his own room by hand in exchange for 3 beers.

After a huge family blowout in one of our rooms, we decided that we just could not stay there for our vacation. The office was closed, so we had to wait until the morning to ask for our money back, which the woman at the counter was extremely happy to reimburse us for all four suites. We went next door to the Makaii and were extremely satisfied with the rooms and the staff. They had a parking lot FULL of cars, so that must have meant something.

The next day, we noticed police cars at the Driftwood. Being as nosy as we are, we made our way over to learn what all the commotion was about. We caught it all. The same maintenance worker who had carried the fridge to our room had stolen $500 cash the previous night from a woman's purse while she was at dinner. Turns out the cleaning lady and maintenance guy were convicted criminals and had both been recently arrested for the exact same thing. The lock swipes were audited on their room and they found that he swiped his master key three times the night her money was stolen while they were at dinner. The owner paid the woman $150 out of courtesy, but kept him self at a distance and refused to get involved.

PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank spoolin11
Driftwood657, Manager at Driftwood Beach Motel, responded to this review, August 25, 2011
We, here at the Driftwood are sincerely regretful that we had a plumbing emergency that shut down the floor your rooms were reserved for. Such emergencies are unavoidable and regretful.

The motel is under new ownership and new management. We have been working diligently to upgrade the motel. We have installed new tile floors, painted and textured ceilings, updated light fixtures in the main hotel building, installed new guest washer/dryer and ice machine. As we just took over the motel in April of 2011, we have alot of improvements yet to come.

As far as the paragraph about the theft. There are many inaccuracies. No one was arrested and no one had a previous criminal background. When such statements are made, facts should be verified prior.

Thank you.
florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

If you are a 5 star, luxury class Hotel goer this is not the place for you. But if you like cheap ocean front balcony with two beds and a kitchenette with a beach bum style, then you will love this place. I prefer this cheaper/hostel type vacation because you get simplicity, no hassles, and you can watch and hear the ocean in your room. Great sized Balcony and tv too. There are no elevators just stairs, so if you pace yourself, it is doable.

I have stayed at many Motel 6's and their maids are always knocking on the door and bothering you a precisely noon. You wont find that harassment at the Driftwood.

Room Tip: I was on the second floor and it was fine
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled solo