“Literal Roach Motel” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 28 Hotels in Ormond Beach
New York City
“Literal Roach Motel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2010

We checked in and were not up the stairs before we were completely turned off by the smell and the filth of the hallways. Stained and pungent carpeting, chipped paint, rusted banisters, etc.

Upon entering the room we were greated by two dead roaches in the sink of the kitchenette, another on the floor under the table and a live roach on the wall just above the bed. We did not put down our things, we did not stay more than a minute, we returned to the front desk, demanded a refund (which we were given without even an apology ... just a sense of defeat from a desk manager who knew his product was completely unacceptable.

I write this from a lovely Best Western a few buildings down the beach.

The Mainsail is horrifying and misleading online, which is how we found it and booked it (through Expedia). Do NOT stay there.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NYnotes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Alachua
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2009

We stayed at the Mainsail for one night and then switched hotels.
The halls looked like they had not been vacuumed in a year, food and spilled catsup in the middle of the hallway. Room smelled musty and dirty. Found a moldy cookie and dirty bath towel under my bed. Staff unprofessional and dressed sloppy.
Pictures on web site very deceiving!

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tssbev

Travelers are raving about these Ormond Beach hotels

Rapid City
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2009

What a dump. Do not go by the online pics, the motel is horrible. The worst place I have ever stayed in. Unprofessional, no hospitality, poor conditions, falling down ceilings, AAA approved?? Boy, they must have lowered their standards. I will be getting back money from Allegiant on this trip. Hillbilly Hotel should have been the name. Not a Best Western either. Pool is crappy and had turds in it. Brown water in the pipes, needs to be torn down.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank TK1968
Williamsburg, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2009

Room is a decent size, and got upgraded to a room with a kitchenette for free. It's really nice to have that option. Everything's clean--haven't seen any bugs, including the ubiquitous Florida cockroach. The hotel next door is condemned so there isn't exactly an awesome view. But the price is right, it's quiet (except for the super loud air conditioner) and the beach right in front of it is lovely and not crowded.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sciteach07
Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2009

When I first arrived to the hotel, the front desk worker said they did not have my reservation on record even though I had printed out a confirmation e-mail with all of my reservation information on there. They tried to blame AAA but it wasn't their fault. We finally got into our room an hour a half later and ended up having to stay in a smoking room when neither of us smoked. We traveled to Daytona for a wedding and ended up missing the rehearsal dinner because of our late check in. I would also recommend NOT wasting time on the continental breakfast. Even though it is free it was definitely the worst I have ever had. The pool was disgusting. "Ocean front" is also a view of the entire parking lot. Also, the maid came into the room when there was clearly a tag that said "Do Not Disturb" on it and acted like it was never on there after he heard us telling him we didn't need any he still insisted on coming in. The front desk workers were helpful, however, I requested to see the manager who was next door at the time and instead of either coming over to see me or having me walk next door to see her she would only speak to me on the phone which I thought was extremely unprofessional. All in all, my experience was not good and I would NOT stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bobbo247
Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2009

My 11 year daughter and I stayed here from June 13th - 20th. I booked on www.bookit.com and saved 40% by booking 5 nights or more....which came to be $41.00 per night. My room was spacious, had a kitchen...which I was not expecting....and a balcony that was a side view but could see the ocean and the pool. Room 221. I absolutely recommend this. I read the reviews and some didn't sound so good but I bit the bullet and booked and I never regretted it. I almost stayed in Daytona and I am so glad I didn't. This beach is not crowded at all. It does allow vehicles, but that was never a problem....maybe 2 at the most were down at my end. The wi-fi worked great!! The location from S Atlantic Ave was great too. Parking was great. It was free because of where I booked. The hostess was extremely nice - Chelsea - and the housekeeper was very friendly as well. Lulu's Oceanside Grill and Peach Valley Cafe are 2 great places to eat. Ihop and Burger King are across the road. Sea World is 1 hr away. I was very pleased with every aspect of our trip.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Dawsonville, Ga
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2009

Well we had a last minute trip to Ormond Beach and found this on Hotels.com. I used Trip adviser so I figured it would be good to comment. We had a very good stay. We did have to get moved on day 2 because the "ocean view" room was at ground level of parking. However they were VERY helpful in not only getting us to a view room but a FRONT room for our inconvenience of moving. We were not so content with the small double bed room, but the ocean front room was great. So if you don't like tight smaller rooms, pay for the view room or front rooms. Access to the beach is great, Ive read some comments on the tight parking, however I drive a 4 door long bed dually and was able to park in all conditions, now if the parking lot was full, it may of been a challenge, but I am taking the biggest truck to a beach city, Im used to it. But as for the place overall, for a older city place, it was kept up well and worked just fine. The only complaint I could have is the edge of the pool had allot of grime from sun tan oil but once again, that's probably a Florida thing. I would come back

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family