“Easy access off I-95 and will stop there again”
Review of Agave

Agave
Ranked #43 of 208 Restaurants in Ormond Beach
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: family restaurant authentic Mexican food taco specials drink specials fresh lime margaritas made from scrath table side guacamole
Tampa, Florida
“Easy access off I-95 and will stop there again”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Traveling to Jax from Tampa we decided to try Agave Fresh Mex for lunch. Wednesday about 1:30 pm they were still at least 1/2 full from lunch crowd. However, all staff were bustleing about making sure everyone served timely including drinks and chips/salsa. All staff were helping eachother so we did not have a long wait to order, get 2nd dish of salsa, or get checked out - all was prompt so we could get back traveling quickly. We both ordered the fish tacos that finally a place that served it with mahi instead of us having to special order for more $$. Priced about the same as fish tacos in many other mexican places that usually have talipia! The plates were huge. In fact we decided that next time we might share. Beans and rice were tasty and well prepared. Did not taste like they had been sitting since early morning. Not smothered in cheese, just the right amount. The pico was flavorful spicey not HOT. Lettuce was crisp, again not wilty from just sitting around. The only complaint was that they were served in 4 tortillas (some folks might like, no problem) so we both just combined the contents into 2 tortillas that ended up being overstuffed by the time we added guac & pico, but we just "picked them up once" and laughed about it. Huge plates served hot keeping food nice and warm. Food was not allowed to sit under the heat lamp, since another staff member who'd we not seen before came out with our hot food which was appreciated. Clean place (bathrooms too). One other minor negative was that our booth was too tight, we had to move the table/seat for each of us to have room to get into the booth - please note we are both slim people. Was it the best I'd ever had? No, but definately better than many and for the convenience & cleanliness & value we'll definately go back.

Daytona Beach, Florida
“Love the place I have work only and restaurant and I love the big plates”
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

The people the work ther are family love the food special the margaritas made with agave nectar and the enchiladas durango are the bomb

frequent traveler
“Some good. Some bad. Overall disappointed. Very unlikely to return.”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Tried this place out because of good comments on their happy hour.

On the positive side, the $1 taco bar was a good deal and the food was decent.

On the negative side we asked for white sauce to go along with the salsa for the chips and instead they brought out a very small container of cheese sauce for which they charged us $6.00. We would have sent it back except that after delivering the sauce the waiter disappeared.

Regarding the happy hour: Yes, a number of drinks are 2 for 1. However the price of regular margarita was $9.00, which would be outrageous for what it is. At $4.50 a piece they are ok. Not brilliant but acceptable.

However I have a big problem with places that offer happy hour specials but only in the bar. This restaurant has a divider between the bar area and the "dining" area. In the bar all of the seating is on bar stools, which I don't particularly like to sit on. So when the dining area is emply (and I mean empty, not a single person in the place) and I still have to sit on a bar stool for the happy hour specials, that's not cool.

So after sitting on the uncomfortable stools for a bit we were ready to go and just have the initial 2-for-1 margarita that we ordered but were told that we were being charged for 2 margaritas at $9 each. We could each have a 2nd margarita for free as part of the 2 for 1 but we would have to pay for two no matter what.

So on top of the $6 cheese sauce this was now making the $1 taco bar and 2 for 1 drinks quite expensive so we asked to speak to the manager and was told that the manager was taking inventory and was too busy to come out and talk to us. Seriously? That is unacceptable.

Asked 2 or 3 more times to speak to the manager and clearly he or she was unwilling to come out and talk to us.

They finally took one of the $9 charges off but after this experience I don't see any reason to go back.

To sum up: Average food, average drinks, too many rules and out of the way for us to go to.

I vow that from here on I will not stray from my earlier assessment that there is no reason to go to any Mexican restaurant in Ormond beach other than La Fiesta. Period.

Ormond Beach, Florida
“UPDATE ON PREVIOUS REVIEW”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Have been back to Agave several times since my initial review.
Definitely our favorite Tex-Mex place in town - displacing (in order) La Fiesta, Maria Bonita, Los Amigos (better Cuban than Tex-Mex) and Salsas.
The Vallarta Margarita is my new go-to, the Guadalajara Combo (grilled skirt steak with garlic shrimp) is terrific and the burritos & chimis are very good.
Have tried several entrees and not been yet disappointed.
Definitely worth your visit, if you're looking for the real thing.

1 Thank DrGeis
Georgetown, Colorado
“Diners Dont Waste your time or Money”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Just wasted ours at the Agave Fresh Mexican Restaurant in the Publix shopping center of Ormond beach. There were only four people in the restaurant this afternoon. Two at a table and two of us at the bar. We waited an extremely long time for our food. When it arrived, I was extremely disappointed. The Mahi-Mahi Burrito I ordered had only two "CHEX" sized pieces of fish in it. It was loaded with green peppers and onions. It was mushy and I couldn't find anything tasty or fresh about it. I know Mahi is a large fish. I don't expect to get the whole fish. I do expect to get more than an appetizer in a burrito meal. When I told the waiter I was missing some fish, he argued with me saying he saw the chef put it in there. He offered to tell them not to put so much peppers in next time. There will not be a next time for us.

4 Thank Sal M