“Thanksgiving Dinner”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Orlando, Florida
“Thanksgiving Dinner”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

My mother and I decided to visit Blau on Thanksgiving of this year, as it was just us two and we didn't want to cook for one day during the year (AND she didn't want the whole traditional turkey and such).

There were only 3 other tables, understandably, as many people eat at home this day and I'm sure many didn't know this place was open as most places are closed (I called, which is how we found out).

We were greeted and sat quickly, and drink orders were taken.

I'll sum it up and say, the food was AMAZING, and my mother is a picky lady who even agreed. I'm a foodie and definitely appreciated everything from the portions, to the flavors, to the options (perfectly sized menu, not too big, not too small), and the price was wonderful. We got the Spanish Meatballs, Hummus, and I got a Side Mediterranean Salad with Grilled Chicken (that was a good size!) as my meal. My mother got Veal Parmasean I think it was... and it came out with some really delicious Italian dinner bread beforehand with a tray of butter, oil & vinegar, and roasted garlic.

The food was absolutely excellent- no doubt. And we would both visit again.

The only lacking factor was the time we waited for service and food. Once our drink orders were taken, it took about 5 minutes to get those (just waters). We ordered our food, including the two appetizers and our two meals, and didn't even receive the dinner bread until 35 minutes after ordering... and then all of the remaining food (appetizers, entrees) came out at the same time about ten minutes after that. So a 45-50 minute wait on the food in a restaurant that only had us, and two other tables the entire time we were there.

Other than that, it is a great place. Simple atmosphere with a modern elegance. Not fancy, seems like people can either dress casually or dress up a touch. DELICIOUS food in large portions, even for tapas/appetizers. OH! And I almost forgot, for dessert we got the Tiramasu, which was also excellent! A huge portion that could easily be split between 2-4 people. Not too heavy, actually very light compared to others.

So, in a nutshell...
Food: A++ would definitely recommend and return
Service: B- nothing to write home about, but the server was nice when she did come by
Wait for food: D, considering that dinner bread itself took 35 mins, appetizers/entrees came out together ten minutes after that.
Price: A+, great prices for the food quality and quantity

All in all though, it's a fantastic place and I truly hope it lasts in Ormond Beach! Highly recommend for locals and visitors!!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank HungryFoodieFL
Spence M, General Manager at Blau, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and bringing your experience to my attention. The server you had that evening is not longer affiliated with Blau. We strive for complete customer satisfaction and she was not providing that and I am sorry your first impression of the restaurant was defined by her service. Send me an email at spencer@blaugrill.com at your convenience and I would like to make it up to you and show you that your experience was out of the ordinary.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to review us online, and I am glad you enjoyed your meal!

Sarasota, Florida
“So glad to find this phenomenal restaurant!”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I spend a few days each month visiting my mother in Daytona Beach and now I have a home away from home. Inviting, comfortable atmosphere and exceptional food make it a place I will visit every single trip. The ambiance is very South Beach, (not something you often find on the Redneck Riviera) and the staff is exceptional. Taylor mans the bar and makes it a very comfortable venue for a single woman. The food is eclectic and each dish was amazingly prepared. Really looking forward to my January trip! So much so that I am bringing a friend with me because I have raved so much about this place that she has invited herself along!

• Visited December 2013
“Very impressed and super pleased!”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

What a find! Two foodies walk into a bar and... WOW. We were impressed!

During a 4 day stay in Ormond Beach, a chance referral found us here...

Highlights:

• Family owned...and guess what? They actually greet guests, engage in conversation, and made us feel very welcome. Awesome.

• Food is carefully prepared and EXQUISITE. I tried so many... Artichoke fritters, fried cheese (wish I could remember the name cuz 'fried cheese' just doesn't seem right), Caesar salad, beef skewers, hummus plate, and the most killer burger eVar! Yes... I was there 3 nights in a row. LOL. Favorite item? The fritters. Yum.

Service: I must say that the service overall at this restaurant is phenomenal. Each staff member is professional and yet... They each managed to personally engage me and ensure that the time spent there, and the choices/experience I had there was phenomenal. One member of the staff deserves special mention... Taylor. He owns the bar there. Works it. Makes sure each guest is taken care of... And he's simply excellent at his job. It was a pleasure to meet him and I'll keep coming back... Thank you Sir!

Good dining starts with the first impression. From there it's the service AND the food. I enjoyed all elements of this establishment precisely because they've paid attention to it all...and the result is damn impressive!

Opportunities? Blau has the critical ingredients nailed. I would have preferred more citrus in the Caesar dressing, a few more items with spice (not all diners in FLA are averse to spicy and fiery dishes), and perhaps a red Zinfandel in the wine mix.

Highly recommended! Go!

• Visited December 2013
“Changed my outlook”
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

Let me start by saying I'm very impressed by the food. My previous visit though I found the service lacking in many aspects to the degree that I chose not to return.
Recently though, a prospective client of mine wanted to eat here, at which I cringed at the idea.
But then we met our server: Christy Cardone (I made sure to ask her last name in case of confusion with such a common name). From the moment she came to our table, she provided a level of service and recommendation I have only seen in some of the higher end restaurants I have eaten at ( not diminishing the food at all of course).
While conducting my business with my client, Christy realized this and recommended a full three course meal for each of us (and i quote): "it seems like you both are here for reasons beyond socializing, may I recommend courses for you both so you can attend to your business?" AMAZING! Not only was she insightful and attentive enough to recognize our propose there, but accommodated us in every way.

The food was delicious as expected and I firmly believe her service helped my client and I finish negotiations.

I will without a doubt return to this establishment for future business meetings and only ask for this server. Tremendous effort and well worth it!

Daytona Beach, Florida
“Really Nice Place”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

They have a very nice atmospere, upon reading through the menu you might feel it's a little pricey, but after you get your food you will think differently. I was in a burger mood so it got the Blau Burger, it was great. Served with fresh seasoned fires and slaw, there was plenty to eat and take home. It's worth the trip to Ormond and try.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Lisa N

Been to Blau? Share your experiences!