“I have never seen a sunrise more spectatular!”

Maverick - Ormond Beach
Reviewed November 7, 2006

I arrived approx. 2:30 am, me and my family were tired and cranky. We were greeted by "Shannon" who was from Australia, and new how to deal with my husband who had driven most of the way. she offered a warm greeting, all the right solutions, and made the kids laugh. she had us checked in and on our way up to our room in under 3 minutes. she has obviously been taught a thing or two about how a customer should be treated. I have read the other reviews and am sorry I do not agree with them. I was told when I arrived by shannon, if I had any problems or needed anything, that there was someone at the desk 24/7 and not to hesitate to call on them, because that is what they are there for. later on in our trip, this came in handy. The smell in the rooms is not the AC or anything at all actually to do with the room or hotel, it is florida that uses recycled water in their sprinkler systems outside and the smell I have to say is very bad. but it is only in the mornings before the sun rises once the sun is up it smells nice. the rooms are clean, tiled, and offer a wonderful view. the private balcony was the key point. I promise you, the view from any normal room at the maverick is spectacular! it is quiet and more of a home atmosphere. the hallways are outside and the fire escapes are located next top the sprinkler systems so I advise taking the elevator. the cafe diner that serves breakfast and lunch is great! you can sit and watch the sunrise on their patio on the beach while eating Home cooked style food. I have stayed in fancy up scale crown resorts and I have stayed in nasty run down ones. maverick in one of the top five because, I came for R&R, to enjoy a well needed vacation with a view that would take my breath away. is it a 5 star ? no but when it comes to making you feel like you are V.I.P they know their stuff. REMEMBER IT IS AN OLDER HOME STYLE RESORT! NOT A FANCY IMPERSONAL ONE ! the maverick greets you with a smile and a "hi how are ya" instead of " hello how may I be of assistance today" like some employee programed video talking to you. try it, enjoy it and if you can't sleep! take a trip to the front desk and tell shannon I sent ya

Mary W (Beverly Hills, Ca)

Stayed: October 2006
4  Thank LostTravler28
There are newer reviews for Maverick - Ormond Beach

Reviewed August 7, 2006

The Maverick was great!!! I had read the review and was pretty scared. The room was clean, fresh and had everything you needed. The kitchen was fine will full size refrig. The pool area was cleaned every day with activities planned for all ages. Everyday they had posted things to do or places to go cheap! All shifts of the front desk very nice, friendly and helpful. The restaurant was good and willing to make it your way. I will not hesitate to go back for another stay at the Maverick. Oh yea, the beach view from your wonderful.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank sasszs1
Reviewed June 11, 2006

My husband, my teenage son and daugter, and I stayed at the Maverick for a week in a "studio" room that slept 4 people. At first I was disappointed, but by the end of the week I had warmed up to my liking of The Maverick. The resort is old and needs to be updated, but overall the resort is clean. The bathroom was extremely tiny and only housed a toilet and tub/shower (very little room to manuever). The studio had tiled flooring. The kitchen was a full kitchen. The appliances were old, but the appliances worked. The studio had one full size bed and a couch that would pull out into a bed. There were panels that you could close off for privacy for the bedroom area. You did have to check off an inventory list of the contents in your room upon arrival. If you wanted maid service, you had to request the days that you wanted service and the cost was $2 a day. We did not use the resturaunt, but it was only opened certain days and certain times. The elevators were extremely slow and I did notice that the elevator's certificate was not current.

The ocean view from our room was awesome. Every unit has an ocean room and not all hotels/motels have that feature. The pool was clean and warm. The beach was extremely clean and was very well patrolled. I felt safe. The staff were nice. You could rent for $5 a day any of the following for the entire day: beach umbrellas, beach lounge chairs, boogie boards, and bicycles. The game room was not much of a game room. The noise level was very minimum.

The resort is very close to resturaunts and activities to do such as putt putt, shopping, and water parks. The Maverick is not the quality of a Hilton or Marriott, but it is adequate for a clean room with an awesome view of the ocean, a clean and well patrolled beach, a clean pool, and for being near area attractions. I would stay at the Maverick again.

• Stayed: May 2006
10  Thank ronhahne
Reviewed April 19, 2006

I felt like I was walking into an economy hotel on the beach 20 years ago when we entered the lobby. The room did match the photos I had seen online of the hotel (definitely not a resort), but the room seemed tiny. The bed was horrible, and our room did not have a lock for the balcony door. The fridge was covered in rust. The floors were hard, but it did make sweeping up the sand a little easier. Having to inventory the contents of the kitchen was ridiculous. Although we considered leaving on the first day, we stayed and tried to focus on the positives. The pool and deck were of good size, and the hotel was just steps from the ocean. Having the ocean view was very nice, even if the room was a dump. All in all, I have stayed in worse, but the advantage to this hotel is location, location, location.

• Stayed: May 2005
4  Thank pcgmom
A TripAdvisor Member
NEW JERSEY
Reviewed February 22, 2006

We just stayed five nights at the Maverick. The "Resort" where I had planned to spend most of my vacation time turned out to be a place to shower and sleep. The bar/lounge is an owner's lounge consisting of tables, chairs, vending machines, and arcade like games. No liquor on premises unless you bring your own. The restaurant closes at 2pm, serving only breakfast and lunch. The day we went for lunch it was only serving breakfast though. The pool looked nice and felt warm, could use a vacuming, the hot tub was green and luke-warm. The rooms could use some TLC and modernization (exhaust fans in the bathrooms would be a plus). The kitchenette was nice and stocked with the right utensils, you do have to inventory everything when you get to the room. If you are missing anything upon arrival they will supply it, I thought this should be done before the guest arrive. They do make it quite clear anything missing will be charged to you, so you do have the incentive to fill out your inventory check list upon the start of your vacation. We found several things in the area to do, and you can't beat the ocean view from all the rooms, after you wash the windows.

• Stayed: February 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 31, 2005

We just returned from a week at the Maverick. What a dump! It is nothing more than a dirty hotel trying to present itself as a resort. I understood that the rooms were small when I booked the week, however, it was even smaller than presented. It is simply a hotel room with one bed. The second bed is a pull out couch. The bathroom and "full" kitchen were tiny.

Our room was awful. There was peeling paint, and holes in the bathroom had been covered with drywall mud and just painted over. The closet door handle was missing. The window between the bedroom and the living area had slipped out of place. The floors are tile and you could tell that they hadn't been cleaned lately because there was dirt stuck in the cracks. The floor in the kitchen area was so slick that I had to ask that it be mopped. The grills did not work because the burners were bad. We ended up cooking the dinner in the room. The pool heater broke and the kids couldn't swim any more. (That's what we were told by the front desk.)

We left early because we were so disappointed. If you want a dirty, out of date, run down hotel room this is the place for you. It should be called, The Maverick-Economy Hotel.I hope other RCI properties are not this nasty.

• Stayed: December 2005
11  Thank Sherry D
Reviewed September 10, 2005

We recently stayed at the Maverick. The rooms were lovely, but, there is no maid service included in the price of the room. We were told this was an additional charge of $2.00 a day. The efficiency kitchen was very nice with a refrigerator, coffee maker, toaster, microwave, all the pots and pans and dishes and cups were there too. The floors are hard ceramic tile which didn't do much for your feet. At the end of the stay we were told to strip down our beds ourselves and put the dirty towels and sheets by the door for the maids. If this was not done, an additional amount would be charged to your account. The beach is nice, however, it was hard to relax when you are constantly hounded by salespeople wanted you to come look at their hotel to buy into the time share. The same thing happened in the room. The phone rang constantly with people soliciting you for their "free lunches" and a voucher for $75 if you come listen to their two hour talk. I found this to be extremely annoying. There were not too many children there when we were there - mostly older retired couples. Don't get me wrong, the place is extremely nice but for $l39 a night I would expect maid service.

• Stayed: August 2005