“Housekeeper left door open twice, didnt change linens, and made us clean our own room! DO NOT STAY!”

Best Western Castillo Del Sol
Ranked #7 of 28 Hotels in Ormond Beach
Pikeville, Kentucky
Reviewed August 3, 2010

Upon arrival, the hotel seemed nice enough. Nice lobby decor, nice location, and seemed to keep decent company. We were made to give a 100$ deposit upon check-in, after which the receptionist, arlene, was very rude. She advised me that if anything went missing, was broken, or left in an unsatisfactory state, our deposit would be kept and charges would be filed against me. I am not exxagerating this, it was her exact statement.
The room was spacious enough, nothing huge. The bathroom was quite small, and the balcony was okay for a couple, but not very roomy.
We left the room the 2nd day of out 7 day stay and allowed the housekeeper to clean. She put new towels in, but did not take the old ones off the floor, and also left a note saying she couldnt clean the room because personal items were on the bed. upon arrival back to our room, our door was unlocked. I immediatly called the front desk, and was told the housekeeper would be made aware and it wouldnt happen again. I then let the housekeeper clean a couple days later, again she left the door open, DID NOT CLEAN THE TRASH, and didnt change linens or make bed. This was very upsetting considering the price we paid for the room.
Upon checkout, I was told I'd have to clean my own room spotless, or they would keep my deposit. I cleaned the little trash in the room in under 20 seconds while the executive housekeeper WATCHED, and pointed to things to pick up. It was very rediculous.
I contacted the manager of the hotel the following monday, when he told me he would look into the problem and contact me the next day. No phone call returned, and he will not answer his phone. He did not seem very concerned with the problem, and I would advise anyone visiting this beautiful city to stay in another hotel. You can see in other reviews that housekeeping is a major problem, and noone wants thier vacation ruined by having your goods stolen.

Oh, and not to mention, the hotel often gets full on parking, and you will be forced to park up the street. not very safe nor convienent.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Don00000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
Old Town, Florida
Reviewed August 1, 2010

Recently spent 3 nights at this hotel, the staff is very friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean and roomy the bathrooms are small but didn't bother me they were big enough had shower and tub. our kitchen had pots, pans, plates,cups, glasses, plenty of silverware,toaster,electric can opener, a full size frig, stove with 4 burners no oven, nice size microwave, coffee pot was small but we had our own. The lighting is awful they really need to add more lights, the bed was comfy but I wish I had brought my pillows.The pool was not cleaned the entire time we were there and sand from the beach was all across the bottom. They have plenty of lounge chairs so it's not hard to get one. If you have small children please be careful on the Balcony, I really feel that a small child could fall between the strips.Not sure how they passed a safety inspection. They have a large parking garage to keep your vehicle out of the weather and i really liked that, a resturant, lots of stores nearby with a IHOP just across the road.

2 Thank MrsJudy
Vienna, Georgia
Reviewed July 27, 2010

For people expecting a Hilton experience this is not the hotel for you. If you want a decent place to stay with your family, this is the place. I have 3 complaints about the hotel, small bathrooms, short on parking spaces and their wifi is nearly unusable. That being said, the bathroom was big enough to do what is necessary and the room was comfortable and clean. Loved the beach view from the balcony as well.
My family enjoyed the stay and loved the gas fire pit near the pool at night.

Flagstaff, Arizona
Reviewed July 18, 2010

The rooms were clean and the staff were helpful and nice. We were hoping to get a little closer to my parents south of Daytona Beach Shores. However, it's not that much longer of a drive. We flew then rented a car just to drive down there. I highly recomend it. The pool was a little smaller than we thought. The balcony view was great. Overall everything was great!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Elk Grove village, IL
Reviewed July 15, 2010

This is the second time at this hotel. We love the beach here and the rooms are large and roomy. The problem was that the room didn't get very cool at night and our biggest trouble was that housekeeping was terrible. The toilet wasn't cleaned. When I stay somewhere, I expect to have my toilet cleaned everyday like I do at home. I ended up cleaning it myself. I have heard that if you complain, places may use your toothbrush to clean with. We had no kleenex two days and I had to ask for that. We had no new soap or shampoo. I had to search for the maid to get new towels. When we had the 'housekeeping please' sign on the door at 9 a.m.- the room wasn't cleaned until around 3:00. Very disappointed this year with that but love the beach here so I don't know what I will do next year.

ocala, fl
Reviewed May 11, 2010

Housekeeping poor. Common areas trashy. Some garbage by ice machine remained there for the whole of our stay. For 2 days a wedding party practically took over the hotel. We were not allowed to use certain parts of the pool area for 2 days. After the wedding party left the hotel, we had to sit in the sun surrounded by their left over litter. The staff had not cleared it up. The pool was supposed to be a heated pool. It was ice cold. The toilet seat was too small for the toilet which made sitting on the toilet quite unpleasant. Balcony and balcony furniture was not clean. On the plus side, the room decor and kitchen area pleasant.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank granbranfan
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed April 28, 2010

After reading all the excellent reviews, perhaps my expectations were too high, but this is an old style Florida hotel that has been modestly updated - but not very recently - in shades of brown and orange. While we don't have any real complaints, it just wasn't as nice as we were looking for. We were glad we only stayed one night instead of two. I have been disappointed in Best Western hotels before.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple