We stayed here for a weekend birthday trip, two nights in March. We arrived a little earlier than planned and hoped to get an early check in. The room wasn't ready so we went for a late lunch, returned at 3PM and our room still wasn't ready. We had hoped to get ocean front but instead got ocean view. The room did have a view of the ocean and also the garbage cans in the driveway and the unsightly roof of the building next door. When we were finally able to access the room (more than a half hour later) we discovered that the A/C unit didn't work well, the refrigerator didn't work and the carpet was damp by the sliding glass door and A/C unit. Kenny, the amazing maintenance man, was nice enough to find us another room but it was further away from the ocean view and really was no better. It really wasn't worth it to pack up all of our belongings and move.
It is beach front and the elevators are fast and accessible...we made it to the beach (finally) and when we returned the refrigerator had been switched out (no microwave, though....) and there were towels on the carpet to dry up the water (we never did figure out if it was the A/C unit or rain that blew in from a previous storm, either way it was not acceptable).
They have a free breakfast but the lines were quite long, the flow of the food, condiments, etc just didn't work. It also seemed that the food was not replenished until the items had run out which only increased the size of the lines which sometimes went out into the hallway. The food was typical "free hotel breakfast" fare....nothing special.
After we returned from the beach our first night we discovered that the light between the two beds didn't work (difficult to read in the dark). We called the front desk and Kenny, the amazing maintenance man, was able to change out the switch for the light fixture and made it work. Kenny also arranged to have $20 per night removed from our bill due to our difficulties (they also had a birthday greeting for me on their marquee which was sweet but...).
The rooms are large but need serious updating and also they just need to be checked regularly to make sure that everything works. The bathroom was so tiny the door would hit your knees if you had to open it (I wasn't expecting the Ritz but really). The balconies on the ocean front rooms had no privacy and were essentially concrete slabs with railings....kind of weird. The pool and deck were nothing special and for the price (even with the discount), it just wasn't worth it.
Once we returned home there was an email with a survey to evaluate our stay. I completed the survey and was offered 25% off of our next stay but I don't think we will take them up on it. There are so many other places to stay in the area, I think we will try something else next time. I suggest you do the same. Other than Kenny, there were few bright spots on this trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Retreat to the newest hotel in Ormond Beach, Florida and enjoy affordable A1A beachside accommodations near Daytona International Speedway, Ocean Center Convention Facility and the 23 miles of uninterrupted beautiful Florida beaches.Welcome to the Best Western Castillo Del Sol, the best choice in lodging while visiting the Ormond Beach, Florida area where guests will receive comfortable and affordable beachfront accommodations. The hotel provides guests with convenient access to many local attractions, shopping and dining options in and around the Ormond Beach area. Guests staying at this hotel will enjoy guest rooms featuring pillowtop beds, cable satellite television with free movie channels, refrigerator and free high-speed wireless Internet access. Luxurious suites and rooms with ocean views and fully equipped kitchens are also available for those that want to indulge. The Oceanfront Efficiency rooms also include a DVD Player, kitchenette complete with full size Refrigerator, Microwave, Stovetop, Cooking and Dining Ware, and Dining Area, and a private balcony with a panoramic view of the Atlantic Ocean.Convenient and delicious breakfast can be enjoyed at the hotel's onsite restaurant. There are also 75 restaurants and shops within 2 miles of the Hotel. And to help make life on the road even more comfortable, this Florida Best Western hotel features an outdoor swimming pool and the safety of underground parking.Whether traveling to Ormond Beach FL for business or for pleasure, the Best Western Castillo Del Sol is close to where travelers want to be. Guests can spend the day enjoying the sun, surf and sand at the beach, touring Casements, the Rockefeller summer home, walking the Ormond Memorial Garden or exploring the Kennedy Space Center. NASCAR fans will enjoy being situated so close to Daytona International Speedway. The world's largest Harley Davidson dealership can be found only minutes away from the Best Western Castillo Del Sol.This Ormond Beach hotel frequently hosts guests in town attending local events like Bike Week, the Daytona 500, Cheerleader Nationals and Biketoberfest. And no trip to Ormond Beach is complete without enjoying a day of family fun at nearby Disneyworld and Universal Studios. The Hotel is just 1/2 mile from the Ormond Scenic Loop & Trail.The friendly, helpful staff at the Best Western Castillo Del Sol is ready to ensure a fun-filled memorable stay in Ormond Beach, Florida. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Best Western, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Agoda, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Best Western Castillo Del Sol reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Ormond Beach
- Ormond Beach Best Western