“Very Clean But not a 4 star!!”

Best Western Castillo Del Sol
Ranked #7 of 28 Hotels in Ormond Beach
Hudson, Florida
“Very Clean But not a 4 star!!”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I have been to this hotel some years back and everything was great about it then. However, it is still very clean, it has some issues that need to be taken care of to get to the 4 star level. It has a very good staff but some of the amenities need to be looked at. Most of the pool lounges are not comfortable due to the fact that the webbing on them has been used so much that it isn't taut and that makes them very uncomfortable. They were doing construction on the back of building by the pool - they were taking down the old railings around the lanai's and putting in new ones. The chipping of concrete was causing it to fly around the pool and they did have police tape but it still went outside of the tape. Then my brand new car was parked in the parking lot out front by where they were dumping this concrete from floors above into a container they directed to the dumpster and some of the concrete was falling outside of the container and dumpster and I found several big pieces right by my car!! I also couldn't use my lania which is another reason that I stay at a beachfront resort so I can use the lania especially at night. I guess because of the construction they didn't bother to clean up my lanai and put chairs there, I did ask for chairs and they got them for me but it wasn't good to stay out there because the concrete floor was crappy from the construction.

The next thing I found not good was the free wireless internet...I was there for 4 days and one day for about 5 minutes I was able to get internet connection with Best Western. I was not a happy camper about that! I noticed when I connected that there was Outrigger hotel service ( it was right next door to Best Western) there and I stayed the closest to Outrigger Hotel so I was able to connect to their service the rest of the time I was there. I feel that BW internet service needs to be fixed.

But as I said the rooms are very clean and the beds are a little comfortable. I would still come back there but not this year until they get these things fixed. I come to enjoy the outdoors, ocean/pool and just read and relax. With lounges that kill my back (though they had some that were not worn out). I tried to get them but was only successful 2x as others had already gotten them. And they have so much room outside with that extra platform that they should put chairs and tables instead of the picnic tables they have there.

But I still had a relaxing visit, inspite of the things that I mentioned, except for the lounges....my back was killing me when I tried to get up!

Room Tip: I was on the 1st floor and would have preferred to be on the 2nd floor or higher.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Winter Springs, Florida, United States
Reviewed September 30, 2012

The wife and I needed to get away for a kidless night in the worst way, but having 3 young ones puts you on a tight budget. To say we were pleasantly surprised is an understatement. Mattresses seemed to be new, very clean, EXTREMELY friendly staff. The only knock I can give this property is that the bathrooms are about the size of an MRI tube. They're doing some renovations to the balconies, changing out some dated concrete for some more modern looking railings, but it didn't affect us in any way.

Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and everything was wonderful.
We had a large oceanfront room with a small kitchen and balcony.
The room was very clean and the staff was excellent. Patty at the front desk went out of her way to get our reservation straight as there was a mistake from central reservations.
She also picked the room for us knowing we wanted a good view and quiet.
Patty is excellent at her job and very customer orientated.
The breakfast was very good and had many items to choose from both hot and cold.
I would stay here again.

Room Tip: high floor oceanfront for best view and quiet
Danville, Virginia
Reviewed September 25, 2012

The front desk staff really tried to fufill our request! We got to be on the 7th floor which was amazing! The breakfast was good and the pool was nice and roomy. If you forgot you pool towels they have them available at the front desk.

• Stayed September 2012
Reviewed September 19, 2012

we stayed there for 8 nights and it was wonderful! The staff was very courteous and the room was very clean and the view was wonderul. We were very please with this hotel and we will definately be back. great continental breakfast, also walking distance to several resturaunts and only 5minutes from daytona! A+ in my book!!!!

Room Tip: definately get an ocean view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Ocklawaha, Florida, United States
Reviewed September 18, 2012

The staff here is fantastic, the room was immaculate and well maintained. The grounds and pool were clean. It is a few steps down to the lovely beach from the pool area. Get an ocean-FRONT room. Have coffee on your balcony and watch the sunrise. The breakfast is standard Best Western, but well-stocked, and everything neat & clean. Convenient to everything, IHOP across the road, as well as a cool little German restaurant, which has terrific food. For a large hotel it was very quiet. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will return again!

Room Tip: Make sure to get an ocean-FRONT as opposed to an ocean-VIEW. Central reservations will tell you tha...
Terrebonne, Canada
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed at the Castillio del Sol for three nights (Aug. 24-26). We were returning after a very pleasant stay in February. Again, we were given a large Oceanfront Room on the 4th floor. The room was an Oceanfront Efficiency with full kitchen and full size fridge and range. Again, it was spotless. Excellent Hotel, 5 minutes from Daytona Beach and they still have decent rates (compared to the same quality in Daytona). It’s worth mentioning that they are remodeling the balconies. They are demolishing the old cement railing and replacing it with new materials. Also they are now offering Complimentary Breakfast in the Room where the Restaurant was before. A big thank you to the friendly staff for their help and attention. We will definitely return to the Castillo when we go back to this Area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple