“Just what we were looking for”

BEST WESTERN Castillo Del Sol
Ranked #7 of 28 Hotels in Ormond Beach
Elliston Montana
“Just what we were looking for”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2011

My husband and I were looking for a good value for an ocean front, balcony room and came very close with this property. We don't require fancy, but like to have the basics available at an affordable price The upsides - the price - $70 + taxes - per night, a small clean kitchenette space, microwave, fridge, sink and cable TV. Excellent staff and housekeeping service. We were in unit 607. The location was safe/great...we were close to groceries, places to eat out, shopping, etc. We enjoyed watching the surfers and the full moon from our balcony. The restaurant was fairly priced, the breakfast oatmeal was excellent, servers were friendly and visited with us. The pool and surrounding area were clean and well maintained. We were there September 9th -13th, which was apparently off - season, because there were no crowds.
Downside was the pigeon pooh on the balcony, but we asked very nicely
( including a tip) if housekeeping would please de-pooh the balcony for us and they did it with a smile. The hotel also hires a hawk and handler to come in every so often ...the hawk is trained to patrol the balconies and chase the pigeons off. Also it took a while for hot water to reach our room. No biggy, because we weren't in any hurry. It's an older property, and the carpet in the hotel was dingy, ( definitely more so in the elevator). Tile floors in this hotel would make a huge difference but can only imagine the cost would be prohibitive.

One serious warning, the undertow picks up in the afternoons, often after the lifeguards go home. We loved playing in the waves, and my husband did get pulled out by a very sudden strong current. He knew to swim parallel to the shore until he got out of it, but was pretty tired and somewhat scared by the time he got back to shore. If you have kids, make sure you keep a close watch on them. I wouldn't recommend swimming after the lifeguards leave. All in all, we felt we got a very good value for the price. Other than the episode with the undertow, we had a wonderful, quiet, relaxing time.

Room Tip: Oceanfront was worth the extra price ( versus ocean view)
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elliston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Orlando, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2011

Very friendly staff, very clean, we had a really nice stay. No complaints at all. Ihop right across the street, but there is a restaurant in the lobby open from 7a-11a for breakfast. We will definitely keep this place in mind for our next beach trip. Oh, and they have some kind of deal with TGIFridays and if you show them your room key you get 20% off your bill every time, and its right up the street so not too far to travel. Its pretty cool that they have a fire pit they light up at night and everyone hangs out. Very friendly atmosphere.

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank krimicri
Elk Grove village, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

We love this area and the hotel facilities. The rooms are nice and large. The problem is the same that we have experienced many times in the past, the maid service leaves much to be desired. It took 2 or 3 days for my kleenex to be restocked. My mom said, "They make the beds, give new towels and that is about it." For the price I pay, I expect my bathroom to be cleaned everyday. My daughter would like to stay somewhere where there is a hot tub. We will see- next year what we decide to do.

Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2011

Let me start on saying this is our 3 time at this hotel. We love the area, the hotel and there staffs, they are really nice. I’m reading that some people think differently. Number one you have to remember their human, they deal with all kinds of people good and bad. If the customer is happy they pay and leave if there not happy they come to the desk and complain. Day in, day out it’s a pretty busy hotel. Okay know let’s talk about the hotel in a few review there were complains about the elevator I think there remarks are true it is not clean talking about the floor. First of all it’s carpeted why I’m not sure all the guess are coming from the beach or the ocean being wet or sand on their feet they do rinse at the pool however the sand is sticky. There is an odor for sure and there is no air-conditions in there. When we were there the elevator broke down at least once a day. I felt for the few people that were stuck in there. The staff did their best to help them by telling them help was on its way. Let’s talk about the room house keepers they were great very pleasant and if you needed anything they are there for you “thank you girls”. Smoking they should scan that closer because we had 3 guys beside us that were smokers. We were able to smell it true the walls interesting because there’s a sign in your room that there is a $200 dollar fine if you smoke in the room. We informed the front desk and we noticed a difference. I feel for the house keeper, when she opened that door to clean that particular room it wreaked. The balcony they do have a problem with the pigeons. The hotel is aware of it they hired a bird man with a hawk that flies around once a week to show that the hawk is there and the pigeons do go away well I think that the pigeons are smart they come back when the hawk is gone. Whoops! Needles’ to say we had a great view of the beach and the sunrise. The pool well the review talked about sand in the pool that is correct. I noticed they cleaned the pool everyday and power washed the deck every morning. I’m surprised to how some people are neglected to the hotel property. On weekends is when you would see it most because of groups they do take over the pool and leave there garbage. Unbelievable I was astounded from it. What we did is when to pool was full we went to the beach for the day you just go with the flow. This hotel is a great vacation place you can’t ask for better. Area #1 Hotel#1 Staff #1 clean room#1, parking #1 Elevator needs help.
Thank you for reading my review and I would also like the management to send me his or hers comment.

Edmond, Oklahoma
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

This hotel was terrible. It was dirty and not kept up well. The balcony was so disgusting we stayed away from it. There was dirty hand print all over the room walls. The elavator smelt so terrible you had to hold your breath while in it. Floor was filthy in it. The door to the room didn't always shut there for you could have had an unlocked unattended room. On the up side, great view of the ocean and has a nice beach.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Weeki Wachee, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

This hotel was very nice. The rooms were clean and decorated very nicely. The kitchenette was adequate, though the refrigerator did not keep the food very cold. We were very displeased with the service at this hotel though. We had put the do not disturb sign out at night. The next morning they came by to clean the room and since we had the sign up left a note saying if we wanted the room serviced to please call the front desk before noon and let them know. At 10:30 a.m. I called the front desk and told them we would still like the room serviced. They became annoyed and asked if we had signed a waiver not to have it done. I told them we had not. Then with a horrible attitude the woman told me “Well, I will let them know” and then hung up. This really did put a negative feeling on our stay. If this had not happened we would have been very pleased with the hotel and our vacation. Because of this we will probably not go back there for a repeat trip

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
acajo, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Castillo Del Sol, responded to this review, August 19, 2011
Dear Thatsmenow;

Thank you for taking the time and interest in writing a review on TripAdvisor. I appreciate your comments. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.
Orlando, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2011

I was quite pleased with this hotel. I was a little worried after reading some of the negative reviews but I thought the room was quite nice. It was clean and nicely decorated and I liked that the vanity area is separate from the bathroom. We had an ocean view and it was very nice. Our room did overlook the hotel next door and the roof but you can't expect to have an unobstructed view of the ocean if your room is not oceanfront. If you want an unobstructed view then pay for oceanfront. You can see and hear the ocean from the ocean view room and I was happy with it. The balcony was small but usable. My only complaints would be the door to the room did not shut properly and you had to slam it to make it shut and the balcony door was very hard to open and shut. For the price I would definately stay here again.

Dear Cjqueen;

Thank you for the nice comments about our hotel. Our maintenance staff has been made aware of the issue with the door.