“Yowzer....Excellent!” 5 of 5 bubbles

European Cafe & Schnitzel House
Ranked #23 of 209 Restaurants in Ormond Beach
Cuisines: German, European, Central European
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Barrie
“Yowzer....Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2010

I read TA reviews of the various restaurants and decided on this restuarant due to those reviews. Duh it was right across the street from where were staying (the Outrigger) .
It is in an older 2 story home. You walk right into the dining room (as it was in years past probably the living room).
Oh lordy the food. I had the perogies and the cabbage rolls as appetizers. You can also get them as a dinner which means you get the soup and choice of sides. My husband had the schnizel. Fill your plate huge, tender, lightly breaded, melt in your mouth wonderful.( I know because I kept asking him for more). My perogies a little doughie but I guess that's all they are my caggage rolls YUM would get them again.
My husbands barley soup ( yup had to taste more of his food) full bodied and I wished I'd ordered it. I had him get the german potato as a side and he was so so about them- but I LOVED them...just enough vinegar, a little hint of mint!! simply heaven. My wine was a reisling from germany excellent and a fair price(4.50 you can also get a half carafe of other wines for $10 so quite reasonable. Wish we were staying here longer so we could go again.

2 Thank laing1

Ormond Beach
“Excellent authentic food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2009

We decided we wanted to eat authentic german and eurpean food thatwe find hard to obtain here in Florida. So we drove over to the beachside and took a trip back into an authentic gernan eatery. Our server who efficient and knowledgeable and she handled the entire dining room (although small) we more professionaism and ease than most servers encountered at restaurants. She had a wokring knowwledge of the menu, knew how the foods were prepared and offered only the facts about the foods. We have eaten all over the owrld and lived in various ocuntries and this food was outstanding. While the building is older and small, you cannot help but enjoy the atmosphere with the music playing and the decor. Our food was hot and fresh with excellent taste. The portions were large, the soup from scratch and the proce was average. We cannot wait to return. This is truly a great place to eat.

1 Thank foodchiky
MD
“Made from scratch German Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2009

Do not pass this wonderful unique -German- restaurant up on A1A. This is the place for consistently good, reasonably priced German food. They also have a great selection of German beers and desserts. If you do not like German food (how could you not), you will not enjoy the wonderful and large selection of food and fair.

2 Thank CEMartin100
ormond beach, fl
“Best Schnitzel This Side of the Atlantic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2009

Don't pass up a chance to sample the food at this wonderful restaurant. We are new in the Ormond Beach area and so are trying out different dinner menus.

The chef knows how to put together the best potato pancakes, pierogi, stuffed cabbage--and those are just some of the appetizers. Try to save your appetite for the schnitzel, the spiced chicken, and the wurst platters. Try the chicken soup, too. The desserts were good to look at and good to eat. Delicious, everything was delicious.

The restaurant is small and cozy--what the Germans/Austrians would call 'gemütlich'--it was a house at some past time. Anyway, this adds to its charm. The service was good and very accommodating.

Try it; you won't be disappointed.

1 Thank glamOBFL
Ontario, Canada
“Delighted at our find in Ormond Beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2009

We are from Canada and can't believe it is so hard to get good German food in Florida. So happy to find one within walking distance to our hotel. The couple that own and operate this restaurant are also the chefs so take great pride in what they serve. The European Cafe is small, only 34 - 40 spaces and during their Early Bird you may have to wait. Luckily we arrived after the rush and were served immediately. Their menu states that they take pride in their food and everything is homemade so you may have to wait for your order to arrive. They set expectations immediately, however we did not wait long. I ordered the mix of Perogies & Cabbage Rolls which came with soup (a choice of two), rye bread with their special spread mixture. My husband ordered the Wiener Schnitzel, same sides. We both were delighted with our food. Serving sizes were large and the food was definitely the best we have had of German food. The schnitzel was tender and cooked to perfection. My perogies and cabbage rolls were a delight, served with saurkraut and potatoes. The prices reflect the labour and quality of the food. Schnitzel dinner is $16.95, Perogies & Cabbage dinner $14.95 which could be why they are so busy for lunch and Early Bird. However, we liked the intimacy after the rush.
Must warn the faint of heart. Decorated as a German Lodge so you will see a few animal heads and antlers mounted on the walls. I think anyone who likes German food can get by this. We plan on returning for another dinner before we leave Ormond Beach. Can't wait for another taste.

3 Thank ptmb