“Flavorful food, ugly decor and poor service.”

European Cafe & Schnitzel House
Ranked #22 of 208 Restaurants in Ormond Beach
Cuisines: German, Central European
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Food had a great taste. One server for the entire dining room. The place needs a major renovation. I probably won't go back.

There are newer reviews for European Cafe & Schnitzel House

Reviewed June 21, 2013

The food is the reason to visit!! With tastes that reminded me of great southern German cooking. The Spaetzle was just like my buddys' Mom made in KleinIngersheim. Mmmmmm!

OK, So the wife and I walked into a "cozy" interior. It's not crowded, but neither is it spacious. The walls had kitschy mementos from Germany. It was not garish or trashy, merely homelike.

The smell from the kitchen was an indication that we'd chosen a good place.

The server was polite and attentive. She was Czech, but her English was fantastic. Her Deutsch, not so good. LOL! We were never hovered over, but were not ignored either.

We had the homemade bread and cheese spread. My wife had the Chicken noodle soup. I had the veal barley. The soup was perfect!! Just enough pepper to taste good, bu not overpower. The small chunks of veal were tender.

My wife had water and I had a Tucher Dunkel-Weiss. The beer was a good cellar temperature. We shared an appetizer of stuffed cabbage rolls. Excellent!!! The meat was spiced like a bravarian meat roll. The cabbage was tender enough to cut with your fork, but not "mushy".

I ordered the Jaeger Schnitzel and she had a salad, then the meatloaf entree. We both had Spaetzle with gravy. The Schnitzel was perfect. Tenderized to a few millimeters in thickness, breaded and fried to golden perfection. I had the pork cutlet. But they have chicken and veal available. The Jaeger sauce on the schnitzel was very good. A mushroom gravy that complimented the meat, not smother it.

I had an apperitif as a digestiv, not one to stand on ceremony, am I. LOL! (Can't remember the name of the liquer.) Also a Spatlese Riesling with the entree. he wine was nice.

For desert, my darling had the Apple Strudel and I had the Bravarian Chocolate cake. Both were superb! The only thing that was not well above par was the Turkish Coffee. I could not taste any cardomen spice. It tatsted like an espresso roast done Turkish style.

We WILL return! The service and the food were well worth the visit!! Plus, the meal and drinks came to around $50 before the tip. And I had enough schnitzel left over for lunch the next day. :)

Reviewed June 15, 2013

4 of us went to the Schnitzel House after attending a play. We only had to wait until a table was cleared...we had no reservation at about 5 PM on a Sunday.
All meals were enjoyed. 3 had varying forms of schnitzel; one had sauerbraten. The waiter brought out a bread basket accompanied by some cheese spread. Tasty. The meals included some choices, but we all chose soup as a beginning item. The selections were 1 chicken soup and 3 mushroom soups. The mushroom soup was good...very loaded with mushrooms. I forget the names of all the specific schnitzels, but mine was called Jaeger Schnitzel (mushroom and bacon sauce). Another had, I believe, cheese and fried onions. The 3rd one was served with fried eggs and anchovies on top. Diner 4 said the sauerbraten was "fork-tender". Two of us split a half-carafe of burgundy. Number 3 had non-alcoholic St. Pauli Girl beer and said it was good. Number 4 had regular "light" beer. 3 of the 4 people requested spaetzel with their meals. I had the potato salad which was unique. No room for dessert. Dinner for each couple was about $45 plus gratuity.

1  Thank fltraveler07
Reviewed May 3, 2013

"Schnitzel House" says it! You can have PORK schnitzel fixed in MANY different ways. They DO have traditional "veal" fixed in ?two manners. That said, I enjoyed the ?German plate (Wurst) and enjoyed it!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

We love German food, and only recently noticed this place right on A1A; we must have passed it 100 times or more. Decor was nice; German music in the background. Although they were pretty busy with two large groups of people, we only saw one server, a German-speaking man from the Czech Republic. Considering how busy he was, he did pretty well serving so many people, and we didn't mind the slow service. The menu offered a good selection at reasonable prices, so we ordered an appetizer to share, and sauerbraten and the wurst platter as entrees. Everything was good, but something was lacking - perhaps a little more seasoning or different recipes were needed. The Bauern-Stube restaurant in Orlando and the Willow Tree Cafe in Sanford both serve tastier food. The bottled dark German beer was excellent.