“Had a Good Time”

Disney's Hollywood Studios
Ranked #14 of 421 things to do in Orlando
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the 4 theme parks at Walt Disney World Resort, Disney's Hollywood Studios offers a behind-the-scenes look at Hollywood-style action with live shows, thrilling attractions, backstage tours and star-studded special events.Feel like the star in your own movie as you romp through the streets and sections of the park that blend together like a large, bustling movie set. Immerse yourself in the glitz and glamour of the Hollywood heydays from the 1930s and 1940s, captured by the neon, chrome, art deco and modern architecture.Step into the action with exhilarating attractions and experiences inspired by television and silver screen favorites. Go center stage and into the spotlight with the American Idol Experience, stunt shows and more. Collect autographs and pose for photos at special events or at Character greeting locations. Embark on fantastic thrill rides you only see in the movies.Whether you seek rockin' adventures, playful stage performances, intergalactic fantasy or fascinating film history, you'll find it all—and more—at Disney's Hollywood Studios, where movie magic comes to life!
Timbuktu, Mali
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 225 helpful votes
“Had a Good Time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2007

We visited MGM on Saturday, May 12. We stayed on the Disney property and I cannot stress enough how convenient their transportation to & from the parks is. We arrived a little early, as Disney property guests get "Extra Magic Hours" in particular parks every day, and MGM just happened to open for us at 8 a.m. vs. the normal 9 a.m. We breezed right by the non-Disney property guests, which was a bonus, because by 10 a.m. the park was FILLING UP. So, if you can force yourself to get up early, it's for the best.

We grabbed some breakfast at a small diner inside MGM with the word "Roll" in it's name - forget the actual title. At any rate, the store was disorganized & crowded but the coffee and bagel hit the spot. We moved onto getting a FastPass for the Tower of Terror. When our time came for that, we found that there are times when the FastPass does not work right - we were basically neck & neck with the 'stand-by' line the entire wait. The ride itself is truly the Tower of Terror. I had to take my glasses off so I couldn't see much but I have been on the ride before. For those that haven't been on it, the wait in line brings you thru the hotel (old & creepy) and then into the boiler room. The ride brings you thru some of the Twilight Zone scenes and then will REPEATEDLY DROP YOU AND THEN RAISE YOU AND DROP YOU AGAIN prior to the big fall. So go on this on a day when you are not feeling queasy! I would say it dropped about four times total. The picture of my face that they snapped was just outrageous - I was truly terrified.

STAY AWAY from the "Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe" "ride". All you do is stand in a room filled with fake trees and watch a debriefing of the dang movie. They don't even give you any seats to sit in! AWFUL!

We skipped most other rides - I had read on my dearly beloved Trip Advisor site that the Great Movie Ride was in dire need of a renovation so we passed on that. The stunt show is not really my cup of tea so we didn't do that either. Basically MGM is a great shopping place & a place to catch some 'old Hollywood' charm. The Brown Derby is probably a great place to catch a meal but make sure you make a reservation.

The park was getting crowded around 11 a.m. so we blazed that popsicle stand and hit EPCOT.

8 Thank Hosalito

• Turkish first
London
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 259 helpful votes
“More fun than we thought...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2007

Many people leave this to last but it really shouldn't be an afterthought. We found this park more relaxed than the others, but the same rule applies.....get there 30 mins before opening, go straight and fastpass Tower of Terror, ride the coaster and then ride TOT. You now have the rest of the day to view the rest of the park. Some tips:

1. If you're kids are under 10 then think hard about riding the coaster or the Tower of Terror. My 9 year old felt ill all day after riding TOT. I loved it though
2. Fastpass Indiana and still get there 30 mins before the start
3. Get to Lights, Motors, Action 40 mins before start. It's worth seeing
4. Remember to pack a jumper if going to see Fantasmic as the evening's get cooler. A great show

My top 10 tips for the family holiday to Orlando:

1. Get 6 25c pieces at the airport if you're hiring a car as you go through two unmanned toll booths between the airport and Orlando. I didn't know this and had to accelerate through the toll which freaked my kids out more than the Tower of Terror
2. It's easy to do the parks (even at the busiest time of year) without queuing for a ride for 2 hours, and that's by getting to the park 30 mins before opening. The parks are quietish until 10.30
3. Whatever you do go to Cirque...I thought that I would hate it but it made our holiday
4. Don't ever pay full price at any restaurant/shopping mall. Google discount vouchers before going. Start at www.orlandoinfo.com
5. Do your homework, and plan what rides you want to go on. A good start is touringplans.com
6. A park a day is exhausting. Remember that when booking your holiday. If you want to have a quieter time then plan to go every other day
7. Discovery Cove is a haven away from the parks and you get to hug dolphins. Be warned it is pricey
8. Unlike my last trip there seems to be more sherrifs trying to catch you speeding inside WDW.
9. Don't get to the park with the kids at 8 in the morning and expect to still be there for the fireworks at 10. If you do you'll all be tired and grumpy and not appreciate the experience.
10. Use Fastpass wisely. You will not be able to ride until your start time but there are no problems with riding after your end time

I will get round to reviewing all the parks on the appropriate sites when I'm free

Enjoy

20 Thank Jesuisunfamilyman
Cheshire, UK.
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Interesting day out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2007

MGM Studios was the last of the parks that we visited. My husband went on the Tower of terror ride, he said that although it was good, it was very short and if you had queued for a long time you would think 'was that it?'. This is probably a good park for smaller children as there weren't many of the bigger rides and the pace is much slower on everything. We saw plenty of characters around such as the cars from the film 'Cars', Stormtroopers, Darth Vader, Buzz and Woody etc. We were disappointed with the Narnia feature as it was just standing in a room with fake snow watching clips from the film. You can get a boat across to Epcot from here.

5 Thank JaneyCheshire
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 161 helpful votes
“FUN!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2007

This is a great park. Tower of Terror and RockNRoller Coaster are so much fun. Ride the movies. So much to see!

2 Thank lovetravel2
west des moines,IA
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Love MGM!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2007

Just returned form Spring Break in Orlando. Our family loves MGM- the stunt show is spectacular and the kids loved the Rock n Roll rollercoaster! I had to go on the Tower of Terror alone, though1 One show to avoid is the Drew Carey one- seven minutes spent in TOTAL darkness- BORING! Make sure to get fast passes right away to the rollercoaster and tower of terror!

5 Thank hilarityjane