“Too many people, too few attractions”

Disney's Hollywood Studios
Book In Advance
More Info
$900.00*
and up
Tour of Walt Disney World, Universal Orlando...
Ranked #13 of 442 things to do in Orlando
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the 4 theme parks at Walt Disney World Resort, Disney's Hollywood Studios offers a behind-the-scenes look at Hollywood-style action with live shows, thrilling attractions, backstage tours and star-studded special events.Feel like the star in your own movie as you romp through the streets and sections of the park that blend together like a large, bustling movie set. Immerse yourself in the glitz and glamour of the Hollywood heydays from the 1930s and 1940s, captured by the neon, chrome, art deco and modern architecture.Step into the action with exhilarating attractions and experiences inspired by television and silver screen favorites. Go center stage and into the spotlight with the American Idol Experience, stunt shows and more. Collect autographs and pose for photos at special events or at Character greeting locations. Embark on fantastic thrill rides you only see in the movies.Whether you seek rockin' adventures, playful stage performances, intergalactic fantasy or fascinating film history, you'll find it all—and more—at Disney's Hollywood Studios, where movie magic comes to life!
Reviewed February 21, 2013

The attractions at Hollywood Studios are top-notch -- there just are far too few for the number of people in the park. The two main ride attractions have huge waits from shortly after opening until closing, and FastPass tickets will certainly be "sold out" for the day before dinner time. During our visit, both the Rockin' Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror malfunctioned, so even with a FP, we were unable to get a second ride on either. I understand rides like this malfunction, but the staff offer NO communication as to what is happening, and you only find out from people who are leaving the front of the line. The stunt show, Fastasmic!, Beauty and the Beast, are all great, there just isn't enough "stuff" to do in this park to make it bearable on days when the park attendance is high.

2  Thank Scott D
Write a ReviewReviews (24,688)
All reviews
in 160 reviews
"darth vader"
in 193 reviews

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I traveled to Walt Disney World with my sister and her 3 children in November 2012. We have been to Walt Disney World Resort several times; however this was only our 2nd time to Hollywood Studios. Unfortunately, we only got to spend about 4 hours here at night time. Therefore I did not get to see all that much of the park and cannot review as thoroughly as I normally would.

I should begin saying that I had not been to this park since it was called MGM Studios about 10 years ago. This was my first time back after being rebranded to Hollywood Studios and since my memory is not super amazing from 10 years ago, it was kind of like my first time there. With that said, I would love to see the park during the day and check out all the different sections and things the park as to offer. As it was nighttime when we arrived, SUPER crowded, and we only had about 4 hours – I did not get to see everything I would have liked. But I did make sure we did the top rides: Hollywood Tower of Terror, Aerosmith Rock and Roller Coaster, Toy Story Midway Mania, Star Wars, and Muppet Vision 3D.

Tower of Terror and Aerosmith Rock and Roller Coaster are both WAY cool. We were able to ride these multiple times and they both are super fun. I personally love the Tower of Terror the most. I love the old school horror / Twilight Zone theme, the free fall, and the fact that every ride is different. This by far is my favorite ride in the park! Toy Story Midway Mania is probably the top rated ride in the park – which means the line was super long because everyone had to check it out. We waited an hour for this ride right before the park closed and it was OK in my opinion, but not worth that wait and/or hype. It is very similar to the Buzz Lightyear ride in Magic Kingdom. My honest opinion would be that if you have rode the Buzz Light-year ride, no need to ride this one if there is an excessive wait – your time would be better spent doing other things at the park. If you arrive early enough , you should get a Fast Pass for this as soon as you get in the park – however I hear they run out fast!!! Star Wars I am not a fan of, so I will just say I did not like it – but if you are a fan I am sure you will. And Muppet Vision 3D.. I LOVE THE MUPPETS, but this show / ride was just horrible and I almost felt embarrassed for Disney – and felt even more remorse for dragging my family too it. I grew up with the Muppets so I love them and think they are so much fun, but the show needs a major re-work. I would say skip this if you really like the Muppets because it will make you sad. If you don’t know who the Muppets are or don’t like them – then give the show a chance if you have time to spare while at the Studios.

The only piece of advice I would have is related to when we arrived at the park; we went during Extra Magic Hours (it was the only time we could fit it in). This is the first time we have done that so I don’t know if it is a fluke or if it is always this way – but I think Extra Magic Hours = Extra Crowded Hours. It seemed like most people were arriving when we did – which means all these people left the other parks and came here just like we did. I guess it makes sense – if no other parks are open where else are people going to go? Next trip to Disney I think I will avoid these times if possible.

So the rambling above seems to sum up our few hours we were able to enjoy at the park. I do think this would be my 2nd favorite Disney Park (as an adult), if I only were able to check out in more detail – the whole Hollywood theming seems cool. Regardless, it is lots of fun and of course I would recommend it to anyone considering going. To be honest there is not one Disney Park I would not recommend – they all offer something cool and uniquely Disney!

1  Thank JTF_1977
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Extra magic hour morning!!!!! Plan was to grab a Tower of Terror Fast Pass and Ride Rock In Roller Coaster Twice during this hour. Then grab a Toy Story Mania pass for later in the day. So we hustled to the Rock IN Roller Coaster and were told it was closed due to mechanical troubles. They told us we could get a fast pass, but my husband had just swiped our cards for four Terror passes (he had no plans to ride coaster). So we were trapped. Couldn’t ride the coaster and couldn’t get the fastpass for later. We pleaded our case to the cast member at the Rockin Roller Fast Pass station, hoping to trade our terror fast passes for rockin roller coaster. WE have been on the Tower of Terror before (two years ago) but this was the first time my 7 year old was tall enough for the rock in roller coaster. We were pleased that they handed us roller coaster fast passes. So off to ride Star Tours while we waited for our coaster pass time. Star tours in Florida is quite different than California. It is in 3D and they changed the movie. We enjoyed it. Got our Toy Story Mania Fast Pass at 940a for 455pm. We knew this attraction was popular and just wanted to make sure we got on it. Waited in line to meet Buzz and Woody… Then back to ride Rockin Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror. Both attractions are fabulous and worth the effort. The Tower of Terror is much more smooth. It drops you, but you are not jerked around. My daughter loved the Rock in Roller Coaster. The corkscrew upside down was a little to much for me. To violent/bumpy. We went twice- my son and husband are not thrill seekers. Lunch time now and reservations at Mama Melrose, which is reviewed separately. After lunch we saw the Indiana Jones Stunt Show (very good), rode the Back Lot Tour, rode the Movie History ride, and got seats for the 430 stunt car show. By the time we got out of that it was a quick service dinner then Fantasmic at 7pm. WOW, what a great show. In California you have to fight for a spot to view it alongside the river in Disneyland Park. They smartly built an outdoor amphitheater in Florida. We left the park at 745pm after Fantasmic.

1  Thank jocomitchells
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Spent the day at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Rode the Tower of Terror and Aerosmiths roller coaster numerous times and the wait times were reasonable.15 - 45 minutes) Park not too crowded. Another good meal at Momma Melrose's. Went in the new atraction of "The Adventures of Captain Jack Sparrow". Waited 30 - 45 minutes in line, which wasn't bad, and then stood (no seats) maybe 5 - 8 minutes for the "show". I love CJS but felt this wasn't worth the wait. And a big negative observation which Disney can't do anything about are very rude foreigners.

See more reviews
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We only had a few hours to explore this park, which I believe is the smallest of all four parks. What I didn't like about it was that it seems to be crammed around the entrance, before the hat and there are more stores than attractions.

While there are only a few rides for young kids, there are many other shows and meet and greets to keep them entertained and happy. For many that complain about Toy Story Midway Mania, it is what it is...it's one of the top three rides in the park. If you want to ride it with a short way, be there first thing in the morning or get a FP as soon as you get into the park...they WILL be gone by 10 - 11 am! We waited 1 hour, but that was expected, and we went during the low crowd week of the 6th of Feb.

We were only able to do TS, Star Tours which both girls, ages 5 & 3 enjoyed a lot, Ariels show, meet and greets with Jake, Handy Manny, Sorcerer Mickey, Mr. Incredible and Frozone, and Wreck it Ralph and Vanellope and Phineas and Ferb. We had a 5 pm reservation for dinner and after that, we walked over to Fantasmic, which was incredibly entertaining. Not a show worth repeating, but good enough to take in on your first visit.

There is so much here to keep your kids busy, but it depends on their interests and priorities.