“High quality Asian dishes inside Animal Kingdom Parj”
Review of Yak and Yeti

Yak and Yeti
Ranked #73 of 3,919 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Loved my seafood curry. Other fine dishes include wok fried beef and broccoli, sweet and sour pork(out table raves about these) great selection of appetizers and kids menu inventive as well (still has burger and nuggets but has Lo Mein as well as egg rolls)

A must see if at Disney's Animal Kingdom

Write a ReviewReviews (2,609)

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Since we had a day left on a three day pass, we decided we had better squeeze in one more trip to Animal Kingdom. We ate lunch at a counter service place and were feeling like sitting down for dinner. The problem with Animal Kingdom is that it is somewhat isolated in terms of Disney dining, and there aren't many choices in the park either. We were definitely NOT going to Rain Forrest Café, so that left us with what was in the park. We had no reservations and it was around 7:00 p.m., but we were able to walk right in with no wait. An ominous sign?

We were seated in a smaller side room at a table for two, and since it was not crowded at all, it was pleasant and quiet for a Disney eating establishment. Luckily I had brought a light jacket; it seems that Disney restaurants are always freezing! O.K., time to order.....I do have a strange but serious allergy to ginger. Yes, the stomach soothing root makes me extremely and violently ill! I let our chatty waitress know right away, and to her credit she went and fetched the chef, who was happy to come to our table and discuss the menu with me.

Yes, I know we were in an "Asian" restaurant. I frequently eat Chinese, Thai and Indian food at home. The problem with Yak and Yeti was that everything had ginger in it! Everything! Shrimp and scallop curry? Ginger. Sweet and sour chicken? Ginger. Egg rolls, for God's sake? Ginger!! Now, I have never had an egg or spring roll in my hometown restaurant that is stuffed with fresh ginger. It just seemed strange that so many things on the menu had ginger in them. The chef offered to grill some salmon (expensive!) or the steak and shrimp (more expensive!), but I was not in the mood to pay $25 for grilled salmon that I could make at home. The chef kept explaining that the food was "pre-made" with ginger, but then kept saying that there was "fresh" ginger in everything. So I finally settled on the beef with broccoli with jasmine rice. (Still very much more expensive than necessary, of course!). My husband loves ginger, so he ordered the curry.

What about the actual food? Didn't get appetizers (ginger in all of them!) so the food came out pretty quickly. Both of the servings were large, which made us feel slightly better about the price. My beef and broccoli was....slices of beef, large pieces of broccoli, brown sauce. Pretty standard, with not much spice or heat or flavor, really. It reminded me of what I have gotten at the mall food court on occasion. I asked my hubby about his curry. At first he said it was "good" and then he paused and said, "not really." He did eat every bit of it, and it looked interesting, with large slices of red pepper and a pretty good amount of broth. It suffered from a general lack of flavor and spice as well. After we were finished I noticed a large squeeze bottle of sriracha sauce on another table! I would have loved some of that for my beef, and I guess that is what they rely on for customers who want some spice/flavor on their food. I didn't think to ask for it!

I have to say that a family sitting next to us got a seared tuna salad that was huge and looked really good. Not sure if there was ginger all over it! I guess I was just surprised that there was hardly anything that I was able to order from this menu. I have never had such difficulty staying away from ginger in any sort of Asian restaurant. We both decided that we most likely won't be guests of Yak and Yeti again.

1  Thank foodyfoodgirl
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We were seated almost immediately and it was a very pleasantly cool even though it was very warm outside. There was no wait for the bathroom and the food was excellent. You will pay a little bit more $15-$30 for adult meals, but it's worth it when you are able to get away from the crowds for a little while and eat some excellent food.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

This is a must stop at The Animal Kingdom. The atmosphere when you enter is both interesting and calming as well as cool. Be sure to walk up the staircase and ask your server about it's unique journey to get to The Animal Kingdom. The food is exceptional and I highly recommend the ribs, but bring a big appetite because the lunch portion is VERY large. The sauce is a wonderful mixture of spicy and sweet with a unique taste. Don't change to the traditional french fries and try the chicken fried rice, which comes with the meal because it is fantastic. My party had every intention of trying the wonton dessert but didn't have room. If you are a light eater, consider splitting an order of ribs because the portions are very generous.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

I know Disney has some of the best food as amusement parks go. My wife and i were leaving for the day, but decided to pay a little extra and eat in the park before we left. Unfortunately, I went to 7-Eleven after my meal and 7-Eleven was much better.
We wanted a nice sit down dinner, so we passed all the other places and thought we would try the Asian variety. I ordered honey chicken and fried rice ($2 extra). It was nasty. I couldn't eat the rice. It was super soggy and bad tasting. The chicken was ok but it was not quite as good as McDonalds chicken nuggets, which i generally stay away from. Then the vegetables were ok. I was completely disappointed. Although I did not complain, I really felt I should. It cost us $20 for each meal plus $3 for the drinks. So we left there after $60 with tip and ate a hotdog from 7-Eleven later that night. It tasted like badly frozen meals that were not cooked right with chicken that was compressed and not fresh. I plan to eat at Epcot today, I know they have great food, but stay away from Animal Kingdom's Yan and Yeti unless you want sun par fast expensive food.