“Discrimination at it's best!”

Mandara Spa at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel
Ranked #14 of 73 Spas & Wellness in Orlando
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover Mandara Spa at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal Orlando®, a 13,000 square foot sanctuary located by the Piazza Ponte between the Beach and Villa pool. Rooted in the Balinese tradition for the healing arts and combining this rich knowledge and spirit of generosity with European techniques, Mandara’s spa therapies offer each guest luxuriously-healing experiences: signature massages, award-winning facials, indulgent body treatments, the latest in hair, nail care, and waxing. Retreat in a haven that harbors 14 treatment rooms, co-ed lounge, co-ed hydropool, separate men's and women's sauna and steam rooms, a full-service salon, and Fitness Center. Let us send you to a place where calm and serenity exist every moment.
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Filled out the form about my medical condition and discussed with my intake person in full. Sat in the waiting room in my robe with my daughter after using the sauna for ten minutes, and then in relaxation room for about thirty minutes. After they took my daughter back, a woman came out to get me for what I thought would be my 50 min swedish massage, which I have had many in the past 10-15 years (my oncologist actually encourages massage). To my surprise, she was telling me that due to the fact that I had cancer, mind you that is not undergoing any treatment, nor would it be affected by the massage, they would not be able to service me, but would be happy to give me a manicure or pedicure instead. Seems that after I talked to the manager, they have a "POLICY' that is new. Funny though, their staff didn't seem to know about this policy, nor would he show me the policy. I got all the mangers information and went to the hotel management. They were shocked as well. Seems Mandara Spa does not want to share their "No Cancer Treatment" policy with anyone.. I would have been fine if they would have disclosed the fact upfront, or even asked me to sign a waiver.. I was livid... I have been to spas around the world...but seriously.. that is why they have insurance..

9  Thank emhaberman

Reviewed July 18, 2012

Great Deep tissue message, nice facilities, very relaxing!!!!

Reviewed June 8, 2012

I had a spa manicure for my Granddaughter and they were rude to her as well as hurt her several times--and she is adorable and polite. She asked questions about the service because she was nervous and the technician was too rough. The technician told her she asked too many questions. I would not have tipped but it was included. I think they might think they are a great spa but they are not.

1  Thank seetheworld2525
Reviewed April 30, 2012

outstanding spa visit on 4/24/12 my boys were over at the parks for early admission so i decided to do the spa thing since my boys say i walk slow and i dont get on the rides anyway. So the Hard Rock made appt at the spa for me and off on the rickshaw over to spa...i was greeted by Amanda who was very pleasant and showed me around the spa..after i got undressed and into robe and slipper i waited for my masseuse. While i was waiting i used the mint eucalyptus towel on my hands and feel very relaxing. I got the special the spa was running 20 min back, 20 foot and 20 facial massage. Paula was my masseuse she did my back and feet she was excellent i talked the whole time and she listened to me jabber on and on. Next up my facial and i had Melinda she was excellent too. After my massage i got to enjoy the rest of the spa a bit the sauna and the best steam room it was a bit steamy the first time i was in but i loved it..overall i was there 2 hours excellent spa, excellent service.... A must visit when staying onsite.

1  Thank jennylo1966
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I need to preface this review by saying that my masseuse, Valerie, was excellent and gave a great massage.

I was visiting the area with some girlfriends and we scheduled a visit to Mandara Spa at Portofino Bay Hotel expecting an amazing spa experience. This was by far the worst full service/amenity spa I have ever visited.

We arrived an hour or so early planning to use the spa's steam room, hot tub, sauna and quiet room to relax before our massages. When we arrived we were given a tour around the facility. Things looked nice enough... but after we put our things away in the locker room, it all went downhill.

First we went to the hot tub. Now, I like a hot temperature in my hot tub but this was scaldingly HOT. After putting a foot in for a few seconds you have this panic feeling that your skin is BURNING. We tried to get into the hot tub but could not get in past our thighs and when we got out, there was a red line burned into our skin from how deep we stood in the water all the way down our legs. I immediately walked out to the front desk to make them aware of the problem so it could be fixed. They put a hand in and agreed the water was incredibly hot and then they did NOTHING. All I asked was if they would please turn down the temperature. There was not even a thermometer in the hot tub for them to regulate the temperature. It was ridiculous. We could not endure the hot tub at all and gave up on it after a few minutes.

Next we tried the steam room which was fine until the steam turned on for 10 minutes straight at boiling hot temperatures. Again, I like a hot steam room but when you are sitting across the room from the vent and the steam in the room starts to BURN your skin to the point it is uncomfortable to leave your feet on the ground, that is TOO HOT! This annoyed me so much because I specifically chose this spa for its amenities.

The quiet room had only two comfortable chairs which were loungers. The rest of the chairs were upholstered in cheap vinyl covered cushions atop some sort of wicker frame. You could not recline in them and if you tried, the vinyl would make annoying squeaky noises. There also was none of the expected quiet relaxing music playing.

But the real kicker was the surprisingly unprofessional and poorly behaved staff. While sitting in the quiet room I kept hearing talking! I realized this was coming from two staff members who were cleaning the shower area! After my massage finished I went back to the quiet room to find my friend already back from her massage and very amped up. I asked her how it went and she told me her masseur talked from beginning to end about a variety of inappropriate and crass things. For example, he told her she should have come on a Thursday when a very attractive male masseur works (and I'm phrasing it cleaner than he did). He also told her that all of the Disney staff use drugs and earn less than minimum wage and he told her a "joke" about giving a "happy ending" to Mike Myers. Basically, she got to hear him vent, complain, and talk about himself throughout what was supposed to be a relaxing experience for her. She did not have the heart to tell him to shut up because she was afraid SHE might offend HIM. How about him offending her with his incredible rude and unprofessional behavior.

We left here with a feeling of "Are you kidding me right now with this??" Is this how a professional spa is run? Are these really the people they hire? We paid a lot of money to have a relaxing quiet afternoon at the spa and that is not what we got.

8  Thank Krist66