“Great sushi in Orlando”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Hunters Creek
“Great sushi in Orlando”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

Let me start off by saying that the restaurant is very small and easy to miss, especially if you don't know where you're going. That said, the decor and layout is very welcoming and the staff is friendly. I've been trying different sushi restaurants in the Orlando area for a few years now, and this is definitely one of the best. The sushi chef is Japanese, and he really knows his craft. I was surprised that they served Aji (Spanish Mackerel). They are the first restaurant in this area that I've seen serve this fish. Coming from Los Angeles, I'm very familiar with Aji, and I love it topped with scallions (same way as prepared here) and dipped in a bit of ponzu sauce.

I sampled various nigiri sushi and all were fresh and none had any fishiness smell whatsoever. With my meal, I enjoyed some hot green tea, and it was very good and refreshing. I ended my meal with a Salmon Skin handroll, and it did not disappoint. The skin was perfectly crispy, the salmon meat was well-seasoned, and the natural oiliness of the skin was offset with just the right amount of cucumbers.

I will definitely be returning to Sushi EN when I get the chance. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who enjoys excellent sushi.

• Visited February 2013

Orlando, Florida
“Sushi EN A real hole in the wall”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

We have all heard the expression “hole in the wall”, as it refers to great restaurants. Often times this is where the best food are found. In true Japanese style, Sushi En is one of those places.

I refer to my time living in Japan. These were my tender years of eating adventurously. As a young enlisted Navy sailor, there wasn’t a real desire to eat in big fancy restaurants nor did the situation presented itself. It was walking across the street from Yokosuka and Sasebo Navy Base and eating in the small side street restaurants. Most of these places were doorways. I remembered color of doors more than names, since the names were in Kanji characters (Japanese writings). The term “hole in the wall” brings real meaning to me as these were the places that really delivered the heart and soul of Japanese cuisine. My adopted Japanese grandma, Mama San, took me through the maze of alleys and doorways ducking behind cloth screens squeezing behind tiny counter tops for the very best Japanese cuisine. Sushi En could have easily been one of these doorways.

This tiny doorway is tucked next to a Texaco Gas Station and a Mobile Express Oil Change place, along South John Young Parkway at the Town Center Blvd intersection. The interior is a squeeze. There are a few chairs at the sushi bar, a couple of low tables along a banquet and some high tables towards the back hallway towards the bathroom. The walls are adorned in an appetizing red color with huge wall art. The floor is a dark rough texture that adds to calm the calm Zen like feel.

The menu is traditional Japanese cuisine with cooked food from the kitchen and sushi selections from the sushi bar. Sake and a complimenting small selection of wines together with saketinis selections round out the drink menu. There are display boards behind the sushi bar that carries new menu items of rolls, specials, and drinks. We were there for lunch hence a lunch menu. I am thrilled to see that a small limited lunch menu was presented. There were a few choices of rolls, a few sushi combinations, a couple of kitchen choices with several side choices. The menu itself was narrowed for a quick in and out lunch. Of course, there is the proverbial sushi list, with unlimited choices and an all day menu available.

Miso Soup was a good balance of saltiness. The tender broth with pieces of silky tofu and seaweed was a nice palate opener. Green Tea was served and brewed in this pot. Good strong tea with clean green tea flavor.

Aji or Horse Mackerel Sashimi – juicy, oily, fatty, fresh sliver of raw fish. One of the few places that carry this fish.

Sashimi Lunch – White rice included, Choice of Miso Soup or Lunch Side Salad. 12 pieces Sashimi: 3 pieces Tuna, 3 Salmon, 2 Tialpia, 1 Escolar, 1 Conch. Tender, fresh slivers of raw fish, all at the same temperature with various tiny textural differences. Not a hint of fishiness. True freshness.

En Lunch Combination – With Miso Soup, White Rice, 2 Shrimp Shu mai, Salmon with Teriyaki Sauce, Lunch Side Salad, Calamari Salad, and Japanese Egg Omelet. This is a variance of the classic Japanese Bento box. It is nice to see the choices available, far too often we are boxed in to only a very limited choice. Calamari Salad is a treat. Salmon was tender and flaky with thick sweet teriyaki sauce. Egg omelet was dense and flavorful. Ginger dressing on salad was thick and balanced.

Sushi EN Special Roll – Tuna, yellow tail, salmon, cucumber, avocado, with smelt roe & green onion on top. I am delighted that with three different types of fish in there that the amount of fish given is not compromised. Some restaurants will reduce the size of cuts to make a smaller roll. I prefer this giant size. Some may say that there is too much rice there, I prefer to let the chef make that call. They know intricately more than I , what amount of rice is needed to make which rolls.

A quick glance at Sushi En’s website will reveal that you can custom tailor your rice amount and type. Brown rice is an option. The restaurant had taken the time to make blog post about nutrition and new releases. It is nice to see that there is more to this little place than just food. The feel is very cordial and respectful. The food is great. The ambiance is neighborly yet sophisticated. A real hole in the wall.

• Visited December 2012
Cesano Maderno, Italy
“The best Food I ever had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

I love this place and from the first time I ve been there and I keep coming back... Very fresh food and very authentic maybe because the owner and the chef are "real" Japanese.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank amintounsi
“Best sushi in Orlando!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

The place is very small and somewhat hidden, but the sushi is AMAZING!! Everything is prepared so perfectly. From the texture to the freshness, this place is better than anywhere else in Orlando that I have tried. Definitely recommend the Hunter's Creek Mexican roll.

1 Thank CME817
Austin, Texas
“Small place, great food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

Tucked in the corner of a strip mall, this place is a bit hidden. The price was fair, as sashimi and rolls were large: three sashimi, two rolls, drinks, edamame was $65. Service was good. The place did get s bit busy as we were leaving. Sit at the sushi bar, much better experience.