“Booked 4 months ahead but given poor choice of room”

Hampton Inn Orlando International Drive/Convention Center
Ranked #81 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed January 15, 2010

I booked this room in September 2009 through the Orlando Housing Bureau. The only request made was preference for a non-smoking room. Upon arrival I was told rooms were not ready and to return later for a key. I was asked if I would prefer a king-sized bed. I replied it would be fine as long as I still received the convention rate.
Upon my later return to get my key I discovered I had been put in a handicapped room, which was not acceptable to me. When asked while checking in earlier if I would like a king sized bed no mention was made of it being a handicapped room. Had that been indicated I would most certainly have refused and requested a standard non-smoking room. I requested a room change and was told the hotel was fully booked. Upon insisting for a room change I was given the option of a smoking room. With such lack of options, I reluctantly chose to take the smoking room and immediately went to purchase a can of Oust spray, turned the air unit as high as possible and have been periodically spraying to make the room tolerable.
Given the length of time I had made the reservation and the price charged per night, I should never have been put in a situation of choosing between a handicapped room and a smoking room- neither of which I find acceptable, but I was left with little choice.
Hampton Inn and other hotels in the Hilton family of hotels will certainly not be on my list of future hotel options.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank MMouseFan

Reviewed November 15, 2009

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks in August. The staff were very friendly and eager to meet our needs. As we didn't have a car for our stay we used the taxi and shuttle service to Disney, which the hotel provide for a charge of around $30 for a return trip. This was reliable and good value for money. The only downside was that we weren't able to choose our times to return from the parks and this was set at 10pm everyday. This was a shame as we were the only people ever to use the service during the 2 weeks and a bit of flexibility would have been welcomed!

The breakfast was good and there was plenty of choice. The rooms were clean and tidy. I liked having the USA Today newspaper delivered to my door as part of the service. As a result this hotel would be our first choice for our next holiday in Orlando.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2009

Have stayed at this Hampton Inn several times. Convention Center is a short 15 minute walk on a bike path. Great location, staff always make an effort and it shows. Very clean. The full-time breakfast hostess does a terrific job. Has all the amenities you could want, lots of parking. How could you not love the warm chocolate chip cookies? Pool pump a bit noisey. Up I-drive is the sling-shot, don't miss this rush of a ride.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 1, 2009

My husband, 11 year old son and I stayed at the Hampton Inn - Orlando Convention Centre from 12th-19th October 2009. This was our 3rd visit to Orlando but the first time we had stayed in a hotel. It was fantastic - rooms spacious, clean, maid service every day, lovely comfy beds. Pool was great for my son after spending a day at the theme parks and was open until 11 p.m. Free breakfast every morning with pastries, toast etc and 2 different hot choices each day. Staff were fantastic and very friendly. Will definately stay at the Hampton Inn again on our next visit to Orlando.

1  Thank julie1Scotland
Reviewed October 27, 2009

Just got back home from this hotel, stayed there for 2 weeks, breakfast was included in the price and was very good with lots of choices. Staff were very helpful. We got the use of a safe free for the full 2 weeks. Hairdryer, Iron, Ironing board and coffee maker were all in the room. It was only a short walk through the carparks to International Drive with many restaurants nearby. Would recommend this hotal to all....

Reviewed October 24, 2009

A really good place to stay for this area. Hotel is top notch. Clean, comfortable and very friendly staff.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 10, 2009

We are Orlando regulars, but this was our first time staying at this hotel. We will definitely be staying there again in the future! The rooms are quiet--ours was directly across from the elevator, but we never even heard it--and OUR WHOLE FAMILY SLEPT UNTIL 10:00! (With our kids, that is amazing--) The outdoor pool is clean, large, and well-maintained with adequate towels, etc. Chili's delivers to this hotel, and the food was hot and good. There is an in-room gaming system (at cost) for the kids, and a free computer in the lobby. Breakfast was hot, well-stocked, and good. The maid left my daughter's stuffed aminals where she'd put them--looking out a window--which I thought was sweet--I would agree that the front desk staff is NOT welcoming or friendly, but they were 5 minutes of our 50+ hour stay.

Side note--if you have young kids and want a roomier room, I would go to the Fairfield Inn off of International Drive--they had larger rooms. But for $79, this is my #1 pick in Orlando--

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Travelers also viewed these Orlando hotels
Florida Center
Homewood Suites Orlando-International Drive/Convention Center
Florida Center
Hampton Inn & Suites Orlando International Drive North

Been to Hampton Inn Orlando International Drive/Convention Center? Share your experiences!