New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hampton Inn Orlando International Drive/Convention Center

Hampton Inn Orlando International Drive/Convention Center
Ranked #73 of 333 Hotels in Orlando
Hamilton, Canada
“Great hotel and good location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed at the Hampton Inn over Christmas and again early in the New Year and found the hotel facilities and accommodations excellent. Front Desk staff was friendly and helpful. The parking lot is spacious and the space allotted to the breakfast area was roomier than most hotels. The breakfast buffet was plentiful and the attendant staff very pleasant. We preferred the accommodation with the queen-size beds on the 2nd floor to the king-size bed on the 5th floor and for some reason the second room was spartan in appearance, but clean and comfortable. We would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank A W
Stuart B, Manager at Hampton Inn Orlando International Drive/Convention Center, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you for your comments we really appreciate the feedback. You can be assured that these will be posted on the employee bulletin board for all to see. Again thank you for staying at the Hampton Inn Convention Center Orlando and we value you as a Hampton Inn Convention Center Guest.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Rotherham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Universal Blvd from 22nd December 2012 for 14 nights.

Hotel was easy to find, parking was easy, there were always loads of parking spaces free.

Check-in was fast and efficient, was all sorted in minutes.

Room was large with two double beds. Room had A/C, large flatscreen TV, coffee maker, easy chair. Loads of drawer space and ample wardrobe space for 2. Everything was very clean and in a good state of repair.

I was surprised just how quite the rooms were with no road noise. It was almost silent at night.

Breakfast was good (It was free, so wasn't expecting the earth). Every day had a choice of Cereals, Juice, Coffee (Lovely Coffee), Yoghurts, cooked items (The choice of these changed daily), Breads, Bagels, muffins, donuts, Danish Pastries and a waffle maker if you wanted to make your own waffles.
Some days breakfast was busy, but it was the Christmas holidays, we always managed to find a table easily.

Hotel staff were friendly. Manager came over at breakfast every day and asked about our pland for the day.

There are a number of restaurants in walking distance from the hotel (Bahama Breeze, TGI Fridays, Sizzler, Pizza Hut, Friendlies, Dennys etc. Also Pointe Orlando is only a couple of minutes walk which has a cinema, bars, restaurants and a few shops.

Room was serviced well everyday. So no Issues / problems at all.

If you are looking for a budget Orlando stay, within walking distance to International Drive, i would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Try and get a room away from the Ice / Vending machine as i think these could be noisey. We had room...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank marksmith34
Stuart B, Manager at Hampton Inn Orlando International Drive/Convention Center, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Florida PanHandle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

I crack myself up sometimes! I am a HHonors Gold member but horde my points like a crazy person. I was unwilling to part with any knowing we would be shutting down Disney world before checking in and would only be in the room long enough to sleep. So, I went to a discount travel site, selected an unknown three star property and hoped for the best... I was a million times relieved when it turned out to be a Hampton.

I was mildly curious to see how the guest service would be traveling on a steep discount with out the benefit of being identified as a frequent stayer. I was not disappointed

Even though it was midnight when we checked in the process was as smooth, professional and courteous as if it had been a reasonable hour.

The next morning I inquired about staying an extra hour, and a late checkout was graciously extended.

We made it to breakfast with only about 10 minutes to spare, and was pleasantly surprised to see that none of the items were running low, plenty of bacon, eggs, fruit etc.... There was an attendant visible helping some kids with the waffle maker. Thankfully the dining area was larger than a typical Hampton as it was busy but it was well organized and running smoothly.

The room was exactly what I expected it to be, spotless, superior bed and bedding, nice armchair with ottoman and comfy desk chair. Water pressure perfect. Yes, this is a big deal to me.

I have one negative thing to say, and maybe this is not the forum but here goes anyway since it appears the GM does read these reviews.

The young lady at the front desk the morning of check out had been exceptionally helpful so I made it a point of actually stopping by the desk before our departure so I could tell her thank you. She was on the phone with an apparent issues, over and over again she would say "Yes, I understand I will have her call you" Try as she might she could not disengage from this caller to attend to the line forming in front of her. I really felt bad for her as the caller went on and on but was impressed with her ability to paste a "happy desk clerk" smile on her face and mouth "just one moment" to us. I replied it was not a problem, as I could see how busy she was, obviously unlike her caller. Then the lobby became significantly quieter and I could actually here the voice of the caller. HA! When she was finally able to get back to her guests, I caught her off guard by asking, "Your GM is having a bad morning huh?" She sheepishly said um-hm, I felt badly for having put her on the spot, she was not sure how to respond. .

My point though, properly & professionally handling a line of check ins and check outs, alone, is tough. And the only thing keeping it from being the perfect was your phone call. I know it's tough behind the scenes, but all eyes are on your font line folks. If your can't remove their obstacles, at least try not to be one.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Work&PlayTravler
Stuart B, Manager at Hampton Inn Orlando International Drive/Convention Center, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed here over the week of Christmas. The hotel was typical of most Hamptons, it was very nice. We did try to check in a little early and were told we couldn't. I'm a diamond member and I'm usually able to check in an hour or so early. Not a big deal. Because it was during the holiday season, they left notes in the rooms letting us know when the majority of the people ate breakfast and suggested that we go early. That was nice so we could plan around it. I would not recommend driving on International Road, it took us 1.5 hours to go approx. a mile. There is a back way to get to the studios, I would recommend asking the desk the most direct route.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Chippenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Stayed here for 2 weeks for a family holiday, we all had a great time. The reception area has been refurbished and now looks very modern and contemporary. I cannot fault any of the staff they were all excellent and could not do enough to help or look after you, especially Rachel on reception and Terrence who greeted us every morning at breakfast with a great smile. The free coffee and cookies in reception was lovely after a long day in the heat at the parks. Located slightly off International Drive but only a 2 minute walk through the car park and you are there. Lots of places to eat and drink and all reasonably priced, the Pointe Orlando shopping centre is only about a 5 minute walk from the hotel providing some nice restaurants. Our favourite restaurant was the Copper Canyon Grill serving one of the best steaks I have ever had.
If you are planning to go to Disney there is no shuttle but we hired a car and found ourselves in Disney within 30 minutes. The hotel has a small pool with tables, chairs and lounges and was never too busy, was good if you just wanted some quiet time to read or sunbathe. The hotel has a small shop and a laundrette if required as well as internet near to reception which you can use free of charge as well as free wi-fi in every room.
We stayed in a king room and our family had rooms with 2 double beds, the rooms were not the most modern I have stayed in but were very clean and comfortable ours had a sofa and a fridge and microwave (although the other rooms did not have a fridge/microwave). The TV in the room had a good selection of channels not that we had much time to watch them. The room was serviced every day to a very high standard with lots of face cloths, towels and toiletries all replenished daily. There was a coffee maker in the room with plenty coffee again always replenished. The breakfast was simple but was enough to start the day included juice cereal, toast, pancakes and some hot items as well as a waffle station and a takeout option Monday to Friday if required. We all had a great holiday and when we visit gain will definitely be staying here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Stuart B, Manager at Hampton Inn Orlando International Drive/Convention Center, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

We spent 2 nights at this Hampton recently. I'm a Hilton Gold member because of all the business travel I've done so I've encountered a few hotels in the past year. This time I was traveling with my family and not on business.

The check in went smoothly, although was quite impersonal on the part of the desk attendant. The businessman checking in ahead of me got "yes sir, thank you sir", and I got nothing but "here's your room, the elevator is down the hall". I had to ask about getting a few bottles of water. There was no attempt to "sell" the local area and no help was offered on a local restaurant (even though we were checking in just before dinner).

The room itself was pretty good. The A/C unit worked well, there was plenty of hot water and everything was very clean. We didn't hear any road traffic noise at all from the 5th floor. Our only complaint was the poor quality pillows as it kept us from having a good sleep. And since there was no extra pillow for the pullout bed I had to do with one less.

The breakfast area was quite busy in the morning but the staff were very friendly as they worked to keep everything clean. We would have preferred that not all of the main items in the breakfast buffet contained pork due to diet restrictions, but it was free.

Room Tip: Higher floors mean less chance of any traffic noise.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ridiculous888
Stuart B, Manager at Hampton Inn Orlando International Drive/Convention Center, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

Spent 14 nights at the Hampton over Christmas and had a fantastic stay. Staff are all exceptional and my 7 year old has a new best buddy, Terrence. Thank you so much for not making this just another hotel. The rooms are large and clean, the beds are very comfortable and while there wasn't a fridge in our room the first night it appeared the next morning. Great for your family holiday in Orlando.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends