“Fantastic Stay - Newly Renovated. Excellent Decor, Clean and Excellent Staff”

SpringHill Suites Orlando Convention Center/International Drive Area
Ranked #182 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We have been staying at Springhill Suites Orlando Convention Center for many years now (Must be about 8 years) and have always been extremely happy with both the accommodation and service received.

This occasion was certainly no different.

All the guest rooms have recently undergone extensive renovation, with a completely new design and new furniture. The rooms are very fresh, feel more spacious, and overall very up to date. There are two large flat screen TV's in the room, as well as wireless and wired internet access.

On the day of our arrival the breakfast area had just re-opened, and this was a lot more spacious too. There appears to be a lot more tables, which avoided us having to ever wait for a table. In the past during the busy periods we had to wait, but this was not the case during this stay - despite it being fully booked on some nights.

The business center area had also moved and was much better. There are now more computers available, along with seating, in a much more spacious and comfortable environment. There are now 4 or 5 computers (instead of just 2) and a printer for printing out boarding passes, etc for your journey back home.

During our stay they were renovating just outside the elevator area, which included putting new tiles down on the floor. All staff and contractors were ensuring that any disruption was kept to an absolute minimum. Carpet was used to cover areas, and the main area that was being worked on was blocked off. They knew exactly what they were doing, and this had no negative impact at all on our stay.

All staff were extremely friendly and professional throughout our stay (as we have come to expect from this establishment). I must mention Kim who made a special effort to speak to people each morning in the breakfast area. She would ask what our plans were for the day, and would always remember the next day what we had done the previous day, and asked us how it was. She was extremely friendly and a real asset to Springhill Suites. She was extremely friendly and made us feel extremely welcome and comfortable during our stay here.

We noticed that when waiting for the elevators, housekeeping and maintenance staff would intentionally hold back and let us go in first, and they would then wait for the next available elevator (if necessary). This reduced wait times for the elevators to guests, which arrived reasonably quickly for us, considering we were on the top floor.

We have stayed at other hotels in Orlando, and this is certainly our favorite hotel by far. The place is spotless, well maintained, even better now it has been renovated, and the staff fantastic. The location is excellent, with a Walgreens, Subway, Dominos Pizza, as well as restaurants such as TGI Fridays, Dennys, Friendly's, CiCi Pizza, and many more within about a few minutes walk out of the back of the hotel.

Thank you to Bob, Kim and all the other wonderful staff at Springhill Suites Orlando Convention Center for making our stay such an enjoyable one.

Thanks
Daniel

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Bob M, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Orlando Convention Center/International Drive Area, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Thank you so much for the excellent review and great comments about the hotel. Now that the hotel is completely renovated and new, our goal is to WOW every guest everytime. Thank you again for the wonderful commments.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

Im currently staying right now and something about this hotel just seems rickity. Like its on the verge of collapsing. Reason i gave it an average rating is because it is clean, and i do like that when i left a do not disturb sign they left a little bag of all the essentials i would of gotten if i had my room cleaned. The shower has a double head which is cool but the actual shower head is extremely loose from the wall and it is very flimsy. The bathtub it self feels like your goin to fall thru because the plasic is just so cheap and soft. I feel like i'm walking on egg shells. The "closet" if you call it that is tiny with like 1 hanger and you cant even walk up to the left side of the bed because the closet is so up against it. Theres about 2 drawers in the whole room, that was my biggest dissapointment. I'm here 5 days and no dresser? I packed alot and now i have to ruffle thru my stuff instead of laying it out. I specifically got this hotel because of the free hot breakfast which i still have yet to see because it ENDS at 9:30? What the... 9:30?!?! i'm on vacation. I've stayed at NUMEROUS free breakfast hotels and they all end 10:30-11:30 i couldnt believe it was just over like that at 9:30. I think the marriot residence inn chain is far superior to springhill suites. The construction has been driving me nuts but i guess it needs to be done sometime. I head people walking the room above me and whenever someone uses the elevator or turns on the water above me its the loudest noise , thank god i dont have a baby to put to sleep! For the price you could stay somewhere else. Oh ya nd the BIGGEST DISSAPOINTMENT is where the pool is. it is COMPLETELY cold and shaded after about 11 , just where they decided to put the pool was a horrible choice. The pools at the hotels on either side do not have this problem...just this hotel....awesome

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sublime305407

Thank you for your comments about your stay, I can assure you the hotel is of sound construction and in good physical condition. I am sorry you found isues with our breakfast hours however we do have to close it sometime and there are many restaurants we can suggest after our breakfast closes for the day. Thank you again for your comments, we appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

My fiance and I visted this hotel for one night. After booking the room I immediately got an email stating that the hotel was under renovation. I thought that was courteous of them to do so we were prepared for that. Upon arriving at the hotel there were signs directing us to the rear of the hotel to check in. The registration desk was located in a small room. We were checked in by a woman named Oksana. I believe she was the Front Office Manager. She was not welcoming at all. My fiance and I felt uncomfortable the entire check in process. She had a stern look the entire time. We didn't feel welcomed, like we were intruding on her territory... It wasn't until we got into our room to unpack that a notice was slipped under the door stating that the water in our room will be turned off temporarily for a few hours. I don't know why this wasn't explained at check-in. :-(.... The fitness gym was not available so the hotel took 4 treadmills and placed them inside and guest room. The breakfast area was crammed in the corner near the elevator. I honestly don't think the hotel prepared themselves for the renovation... Overall, I was disappointed with the hotel, but I will not let one bad experience stop me from returning.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mel G
Bob M, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Orlando Convention Center/International Drive Area, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback about your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that you were dissappointed about your visit. There never is a perfect time to renovate a hotel, especially the lobby and breakfast area and we take great strides to minimize the negative impact to the guest. I would like to invite you back next year to experience the completed lobby or when your travels bring you to the Orlando area again.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

on our arrival to the spring hill suites, after a long flight, with 2 babies and a 7 year old, we were greeted at reception by the receptionist, Amanda, she was the most negative young woman, i have ever dealt with, checking into a hotel, she didnt even welcome us to the hotel, she started telling us that there was no hot breakfast available, during our stay, she also told us that there was renovations starting the next day, in the hotel, and when i asked about the dust, she didnt have a clue, as i didnt want to stay in a hotel that was going to be a bulding site while on holidays,with my asthmatic baby son, we also had booked a cot for our son and she hadnt a clue what a cot was, when i complained she offered us a room in there sister hotel, across the way , we walked over to the hotel, with our children and our luggage, to find there was no room there for us, so back to the spring hill suites we had to go, we got our room key, and went to our room, still no cot for the baby, unreal experience, then we got a visit from the evening manager, to appoligise for her behaviour, his excuse was , that she was a trainee, (lol), he also tried to find us a cot/crib for our son, he came back with a broken one first, the next one was very shabby, had holes in the saftey netting, he told us that our travel agent was informed of the renovations , by e mail, before we were due to arrive, so i asked to see a copy of these e mails, he said no problem , when i asked again , he said he was looking for them, surely they would be on file, as we were staying in the hotel, for two weeks. on a plus side the breakfast staff were lovely women, and so helpful and kind to all of us, room wasnt cleaned on numerous occassions, had to ask for clean towels, and bins to be emptied, ended up cleaning the room myself, and making the beds(supposed to be on holidays), very noisy at night time, didnt ask to move room, as we didnt want any more crappy excuses ,overall would not recommend this hotel, for a family holiday :( :( .very disappointed customer.

Room Tip: dont stay on the ground floor
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank yvonnenat
Bob M, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Orlando Convention Center/International Drive Area, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Please accept my sincerest apology for the less than favorable experience you had with us on your recent visit. I have forwarded your feedback to the Front Desk Manager and Executive Housekeeper so they may share this information with the appropriate staff.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

My girlfriend booked the hotel for the weekend of nov 2 and 3. I had heard that they were under renovation but was expecting the worst but found it not to be a problem. All the employees were so helpful and kind. We arrived at midnight and the man that checked us in was very quick and gave us all the information we asked for. The breakfast girls the next morning were warm and welcoming Thanks for the wonderful stay

• Stayed: November 2012

Thank you for the excellent review about your recent stay with us. Our staff is trying very hard to make the renovation process as quiet and undisturbing as possible, the outcome will be tremendous when it is complete. Please come back and experience the finished lobby on your next trip.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

As you can see from my rating I liked Springhill Suites and here's why,

Good - clean spacious rooms, comfortable beds, a few minutes walk to the best part of International Drive, quick check in and out, friendly staff, cheap rates, a surprisingly good free breakfast with lots of choice, amazing showers, 2 large TV's

Bad - room was noisy from air con, lifts, plumbing etc rattling and banging and decor is dated, If you want to use the mini kitchen you must have to hire equipment as there is very little provided but there are glasses and mugs and the microwave and fridge are available

Ugly - pool is in shade best part of the day

Usually we stay in Homewood suites which is very close to Springhills but we got a great price here and would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate hearing the good, bad and ugly. Our guest rooms are newly renovated but the room you had must have een near the elevators. We love hearing that our staff is pleasant and efficient as they are one of our biggest assets. Please allow us to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Stayed here for 18 nights.Nice hotel quiet rooms I believe quite recently renovated in a very convenient position walkable to many restuarants. The breakfast had waffle machine with pattys, scrambled eggs which
is a hit with the kids, we have stayed next door at the Hyatt place which is lovely also but only has continental breakfast you had to pay for hot items so this was better from that respect. Unfortunately during our stay the lobby began its renovations so hot breakfast was no longer available but on complaining to the manager they told us to go next door to their sister hotel the residence inn and have breakfast there, this has recently been renovated and the breakfast had even more variety and i'm sure the springhill suites will offer this once the renovations are complete so we had the best of both worlds. We had a room on the 7th floor so had no noise disturbance at all from the renovations. There is a free shuttle to take you to epcot and transfer to any disney park if you want to save money which is a bonus. There pool was freezing though and not useable it was so cold which was odd, my sister stayed in April and said is was really warm. No real problem as we had no time to go in it overall.
To sum up a very pleasant stay, comfortable clean rooms with lovely staff in particular the breakfast ladies.
Would recommend and stay again if returning to Orlando.

Room Tip: would take high floor away from elevators
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Bob M, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Orlando Convention Center/International Drive Area, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Thank you for the excellent review about your recent stay at the Springhill Suite Convention Center. We are always excited to hear that our guests had an enjoyable stay and and especially for 18 nights. We hope to see you again when you return to Orlando.