“Nice hotel, but beware of bugs”

Extended Stay America - Orlando - Convention Ctr - 6443 Westwood
Ranked #206 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Windsor, Canada
“Nice hotel, but beware of bugs”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

The hotel was nice with a kitchenette and was recently renovated. While we were there, they were doing construction outside and in the lobby. The pool was clean but extremely cold. I didn't see the pool hit the sun at all. It was a great price, approximately $250 for 6 nights. However, we had tiny bugs - similar to some sort of mite, around the sink and bathtub drains. We complained to the worker in the lobby, and he said that it happens a lot. Apparently most of the rooms have them. We were very grossed out and did not want to cook in the kitchen again after buying groceries. The man at the desk said that he would write a maintenance note to have the workers spray for the bugs in the morning. However, we did not see anyone spray and the bugs remained. The room was very nice and the bed was comfortable, but the bugs were a huge issue. We did not have any bites or notice the bugs in bed.

2 Thank Amanda A
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Orlando - Convention Ctr - 6443 Westwood, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I appreciate you letting us know that about the sugar ants. I am so sorry for this issue and the way it was addressed when you brought it to our attention. The staff and I are working closely with our pest control expert to address this issue. We would hate for this situation to affect another guest staying in our newly renovated rooms.

Thank you again for sharing your comments with us. I hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve you again in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We booked this hotel, essentially not knowing we would be staying here as the reservation was made thru Hotwire for a 2.5 star at a fantastic price. As it turns out this property was a nice surprise - we knew the general area we would be in as we selected the Seaworld I-Drive South area - the room/accommodations were very clean and aesthetically pleasing. The room here provided a queen size bed, spacious bathroom/vanity area, 1 closet with hangers provided, a sofa in the living room with coffee table, flat screen TV, a full kitchen with fridge, stove, microwave, sink, and all dishware, silverware, & glasses. Staff was exceptionally polite and available if ever needed, though they were not on this stay. The hotel is presently undergoing a refurbishment will likely improve the property even more. There is also a small workout room that offers a treadmill, an elliptical, and a stationary bike along with a flat screen TV. Complimentary breakfast is served daily. Overall, very nice experience and we would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We booked a 2.5 star in the Seaworld I-Drive South area w/ 85% approval by past guests, and we were...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Orlando - Convention Ctr - 6443 Westwood, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am glad that we were able to provide you with a clean, spacious room at a great rate. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed our location, your fully equipped kitchen, and our polite staff. As well, I am glad that our grab-and-go breakfast and fitness room met your travel needs. We hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future.
Royal Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Hotel was very nice to stay at. We went to Discovery Cove and Seaworld and it was very close. Room was very clean. Breakfast had yogurt, fresh fruit,oatmeal and bagels. Coffee was good and they had flavored coffee creamers. We would definitely go there again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Orlando - Convention Ctr - 6443 Westwood, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Cindy - Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. It's great to hear that our location was very convenient for you. Our goal is to provide clean rooms at a reasonable price and create a ”home away from home" for all of our guests to enjoy. I am pleased your were able to do this for you.

Spencer, New York
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I checked in on Thursday, 2/6/14. The staff was friendly and professional. The room was clean, but the drip pans from the range were missing, I didn't plan on using it, so I didn't report it. The first time I flushed the toilet, the toilet water kept running. I took the tank lid off and closed the flapper thing so it would stop. I had to do this every time I flushed, so I reported it the next morning (Friday). Returning to my room that evening, the toilet had been fixed (still no drip pans though).
Saturday was a scheduled light cleaning day. When I returned to the room that night, I noticed the bed was made, towels were replaced, trash was emptied, and drip pans were still missing. On Monday, the toilet water kept running, so I called the front desk and reported it again. Nobody came to repair it, so I continued to take the lid off every time I flushed for the last three days of my stay. Monday was a light cleaning day, but the cleaning was never done.
On Tuesday morning I went to take a shower and noticed a large beetle type bug in the tub. Hot water took care of it.
Wednesday was a full service cleaning day. When I returned to my room Wednesday evening, it it appeared to have been done, but still no drip pans for the range. I left the room at about 10:30 pm to get ice, only to find that my key card was deactivated. This was the second time this happened in five days. I had to walk all the way around the building, and wait while three people in front of me were helped, to get a new card. The woman was polite, even though I wasn't.
I checked out at 3:30 am Thursday. After I left I noticed I had been given somebody else's receipt. I drove back and got my receipt.
One night I did spill my "soda pop" in the kitchen. I used a white cloth to clean up my mess, and when I was finished, the cloth was gray. One of the kitchen table chairs had what appeared to be dried, spilled milk on it.
The staff was always polite, the bed comfortable, there were no bugs (except the one I mentioned), the shower was hot, the other guests quiet, an I would stay there again if I could get the same rate.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Auburn Hills, Michigan
Reviewed January 23, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 9 nights during the holidays. Location of the hotel very convenient. The street has a lot of hotels and hence a lot of good restaurants around the area. Sea-world is very very close. They have shuttles to take you to Disney's Epcot (which is very well connected to other Disney parks), Universal resorts and Sea-World. The timings may not be very convenient, but all these parks are within close driving distance.

The room was fairly large with ample room to begin with. Nice and clean as well. The check-in was quick and easy. We were given the accessible room since that was the only one available for our family size. Kitchen was perfect. A little short on utensils. There were not enough plates and after asking the front-desk, they informed that they were the only ones available. Even the silverware was for two people only. So we had to content with using the plastic spoons from the breakfast area. The walk-in shower was not very convenient and flooded the bath very often. We had to block the water with towels or be very careful when showering to avoid the water flooding. Other than that the room was great. It would have been great if they could have shifted us to another non-accessible room with a proper bath-tub, but with the holiday season they were very much full.

Breakfast was decent - bagels, muffins, grain-bars, juices. But it was always the same everyday and after a couple of days, it becomes very monotonous. So we started cooking our own breakfast. Another inconvenience was availability of drinking water. The water fountain was only working during breakfast hours, so if you needed water in your room, you either had to fill it during that time and store it OR get purchase cans from outside.

Overall, the hotel is a very decent place to stay and very much family friendly.

Room Tip: Do not ask for the accessible room unless you want one.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ShashiPatil99
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Orlando - Convention Ctr - 6443 Westwood, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I truly appreciate your comments regarding the convenience of our location. I am glad to hear that our shuttle service to the parks helped you enjoy your stay. I’m also glad to hear that you had a quick, easy check in and that the size and cleanliness of your room met your satisfaction. Still, I am sorry to hear about the problems you encountered with the shower and utensils in your room. We will take your comments into consideration as we work toward improving our guest experience.

Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon.
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 18, 2014

The staff apart from two were always miserable and not at all helpful.Renovation work went on all night.The lift was outside our room right on the bed-head wall which was opening and closing all night.The grab and go breakfast was exactly as stated if you got there in time you grabbed the lot and go.The pool area was not opened even though we had a few good days of pool weather.Would i stay there again?>no thanks.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Orlando - Convention Ctr - 6443 Westwood, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. The staff attitude you described is unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. It is clear that the information regarding our hotel and services was not properly communicated. I have conducted a front desk meeting to review this feedback and identify training opportunities for the staff.

We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience. Thank you, again.
Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

The room was not bad and a good size. First the plus side. Good location yet quiet and private. You are near International drive and walking distance from Sea World if you're so inclined. The Village Inn is also within walking distance and although it's style is out of date the food was good and much cheaper than eating in the parks. The Hotel has a grad and go breakfast service with minimal items hence the grab and go. The staff were very nice and the outside of the Hotel was very clean with ample parking. They also have a nice laundry room and pool area.

Now for the bad. We had tiny ants coming from one of the sockets in the kitchen. The hallways neither looked very clean and smelled. We hardly ever received any room service but if you asked for towels and such they would give them to you. One day the headboard to our bed just fell off the wall. Luckily we weren't sleeping and they sent someone straight away. They have closets in the hallways where you can throw away your own rubbish which would be good but some people would just sit their trash inside of the door so not very clean. After being there for a week they started doing construction on the floor above us (loudly) and my husband complained. They did move us away from the noise to the bottom floor which wasn't very convent having to pack up. They did have a sign at the front desk saying this was going to happen but it was a very small sign and we were never advised when booking the trip.

For the DISABLED the walk in showers get VERY SLICK so please be aware! they also don't hold the water very well and on my first attempt flooded the bathroom. I then barricaded the shower with towels and had to wash holding the shower head. ALSO the seat gets very slick and you can fall easily. I ended up having to sit on a towel for some friction.

This is my opinion only so make your own reading the rest of the reviews. As I said for the money it's probably what you can expect. I will say the staff were very quick at responding to our needs.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. It's great to hear that our convenient location and our friendly staff made you feel at home while with us. However, I was disappointed to learn you had some unpleasantness. Please accept our apologies.

I will be using this as a training opportunity for our team. We value the feedback from our guests as we constantly strive to improve. The staff and I would like to thank you again for posting your review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!