“Close to convention, but found a BED BUG in one room”

Extended Stay America - Orlando - Convention Ctr - 6443 Westwood
Ranked #209 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great location if you are going to the expo center as you can walk (5 minutes). I booked three rooms, and in one room we found a BED BUG. The hotel night staffer was nice and accommodating, but the manager put someone back in that room three nights later after doing an "inspection". Take it upon yourself to do "inspections" as it took us all of three minutes to find the bed bug hiding in between the pillow top mattress at the head of the bed, which wasn't far from the dozen or more deposits of blood on the corner of the mattress. The next room they moved us to we found a condom wrapper and a white pill under the bed, GROSS.
Aside from that inhospitable incident, the other two rooms were clean and bug free. I think the hotel probably does a good job of keeping the hotel bug free, but obviously they need to pay more attention to the bed area. Beware travelers, its partly your responsibility to check the room you sleep in. The kitchen has basic utensils and a stove for cooking. I don't know if they have measuring cups, but it was nice to have a full size fridge/freezer.
Beware, the continental breakfast shouldn't even be called a breakfast in my opinion as they only have packaged muffins, packaged bagels, yogurt and a juice machine. No fruit or hard boiled eggs.
Lastly, the pool is NOT heated and while the pool area sees some sun, the pool itself gets zero sun from Nov-Feb. The hotel location is in a very safe area, and despite being next to the highway I didn't even notice it! Lastly, there is nice dive bar 4 minute walk down the street. Its actually not a bad spot to chill as there is plenty of room, but they allow smoking inside.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
mcoewr, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Orlando - Convention Ctr - 6443 Westwood, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Dear ToGoodLife:

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I want to apologize for the cleanliness of your room and the fact that you believe you found a bed bug in the room. Our housekeeping team is trained to look for the warning signs of bed bugs and we utilize a Nationally recognized Pest Control Company. I can assure you that as the new General Manager of the property that if we or our guest suspect this type of incident, the room will be thoroughly inspected by our pest control company prior to the release of the room for a future guest usage. Our Grab and Go breakfast provides individually wrapped bagels, muffins, oatmeal, fruit, coffee and juice. Your comments are extremely important to me and our team and we will utilize them to improve our customer service levels for future guest.

There are newer reviews for Extended Stay America - Orlando - Convention Ctr - 6443 Westwood

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We were celebrating our sons 3rd birthday and chose this location because of the distance to Disney. I am familiar with Extended Stay Hotels and for the location and it also being an Extended Stay Deluxe I felt that it should have been WAYYY better. We checked in Friday night, the staff that checked us in was friendly. We made reservations for a King NS with a couch. When we arrived to the room the carpet was extremely dirty. The color carpet was a forest green. You could see all the spills (whether it's food or dink), foot prints etc. all on the carpet. We asked to check the other king deluxes and they weren't much different. So we decided to stay in the the room. The shower head also had mold and it leaked all over the place when it was on. Around 2am Sunday morning the fire alarm went off and stayed on for about 30 minutes. Completely ridiculous. We didn't stay much in the hotel, but I extremely doubt that we would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Meshalla

Dear Meshalla,

Thank you for your recent review about your stay with us. I would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations, especially since this was such a special occasion for you and your family in the celebration of your son's 3rd Birthday! I am sharing your experience with our team members so we can focus on our guest room carpets and bathrooms. The fire alarm was an unfortunate incident, and we apologize that it was an inconvenience. Please allow us the opportunity to provide you with an outstanding experience on your next trip to the Orlando area.

John Lisa
Extended Stay Deluxe Orlando Convention Center

Reviewed March 13, 2013

We booked this room through a third party service, and ended up with a bug in the process. However, despite the problem, with otherwise would have had us changing hotels at 10 o'clock at night, the service desk person, HIS NAME IS ROMANO (I want everyone to know who this most helpful person is), went way beyond and above, and here I am right this minute typing this review from the VERY nice room, at the original booked (dirt cheap, compared the the other places nearby for tonight's rates) price. NICE room! Big, clean, and has absolutely everything except wet bar and bartender (that's a joke folks).Glad I'm here, and sure as heck coming back here from now on, period, any time I'm back in Orlando. And I hope Romano is here when I come back. Nice, cool headed, professional, and just made this a great night in the end. THANK YOU!

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to smoke, be sure to let them know in advance, no room on the fourth floor.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
mcoewr, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Orlando - Convention Ctr - 6443 Westwood, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear Chase J,

Thank you for your recent review of our property and in particular the kind words for our Team Member Romano! I will be sure to share this review with him. I am glad to hear that your room and experience at our property were outstanding and we look forward to hosting you on your future stay in the Orlando area.

Kind Regards,

John Lisa

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We have been coming to Extended Stay Deluxe every winter since the late 1990's (first for just
two to three weeks--and now for two months). We had previously stayed at Motel 6, but then saw the ad in US Today for Extended Stay America and concluded that for about the same price we could stay at a much nicer facility. We didn't mind making our own beds daily and having weekly maid service instead of daily in order to keep the price down. The staff has always been extremely helpful. We would agree with all the good comments of "shojosco" and others. We love the facilities and location. Although the prices have crept up over the last 10 or so years, we have not decided to move to a less expensive place because this seems like our "home away from home"!! We hope the new owners will remember the reason many of us chose Extended Stay in the first place.
LONG TIME CUSTOMER

Room Tip: Since my wife is handicapped, we have preferred a first floor room near the back door and fairly nea...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank HelenW481
OrlandoESH, Manager at Extended Stay America - Orlando - Convention Ctr - 6443 Westwood, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Thank you for the kind words in your review. We really look forward to your return year over year. Your loyalty and your kindness are very much appreciated. Thank you for choosing us all those years ago and for bringing your good friends with you!

Sincerely, Pebble Persico

Reviewed January 30, 2013

We got an amazingly cheap deal for our Honeymoon to Orlando so naturaly I was very nervous aboit the hotel that we would be staying in. When the Shuttel took us to the Hotel I was very pleasantly suprised.

The room had everything that we needed,kitchen,sofa,big tv and a comfy bed. A tiny problem would be the lack of cooking pots and skillets,however reception are lovely & they will do their best to get these for you as soon as you ask. We had fresh towels every day as we were staying for 3weeks. Shampoo and soap daily. Breakfast is a continental breakfast,which included bagels,muffins,coffee and fruit juices. It was enough for us as we frequented The Village Inn just along the road (a must try place if you love good hearty food,amazing pie). I would say that a nice addition might be some fresh fruit or some cereal.
Staff are lovely,anything we asked for,they couldnt be nicer to try and help us with. I read a few negative comments in regards to cleanliness but we really didnt have any issues with this. Its true that there is no in room safe and the saftey deposit boy is a small one at reception but we just kept our cases in our room locked,no issues. They are a pet friendly hotel,however we are dog lovers so this didnt bother us and they are strict about keeping dogs on leashes when leaving the room. Dont use washing detergent in machine,just go to wallgreens/publix and buy some if your staying a while.

It was on International drive but far enough out of the way so there is no heavy traffic or loud night life. It is a bit of a walk on foot to get to the heart of International drive but there is an Iride stop just outside the hotel and lynx 50 (takes you to disney) and 111 service (takes you to The Florida Mall). You can purchase Iride multi day passes at hotel reception.

Will definetly stay again.

Room Tip: Smoking is level 4 i belive,although this is restricted to rooms only,you can smell it throughout th...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank shojosco
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised at my experience at this hotel. The rooms (and hotel) was very nice. I was here for business, and loved how close it was to the convention center, yet out of the traffic/congestion that many hotels in that area have. I had a large room that had a work area, sofa, recliner, and king size bed. (and, of course, the full kitchen). Room very quiet.

The only thing was the breakfast. It had prepackaged muffins, bagels, and fruit. There was no oppportunity for any fresh food, or protein (unless you counted the cream cheese packages for the bagels). No cereal or milk. They had apple and orange juice and VERY GOOD COFFEE. The breakfast room itself was pleasant and clean. My hope was for even a little food that was not loaded with sugar and carbohydrates. Hard boiled eggs, maybe? Fresh fruit?

Overall, this was the best hotel, hands down for me, and I definitely will stay here again when I return to Orlando.

Room Tip: I was on the first floor, and felt very comfortable, and safe. I overlooked the pool. I liked that.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank WilmingtonMel
Reviewed January 17, 2013

A lovely hotel just sitting in a beautiful quiet spot a few hundred yards from international drive resorts
The hotel is clean and the rooms are so much more liveable than the normal 2 bed rooms in Orlando
Particularly liked the full kitchen and the sofa bed and chair
Free internet and free basic breakfast are also pleasurable
The staff are so nice so helpful they did make us feel like we were at home
If I could request anything it would be more tv channels and a heated pool
But they are slight things
The huge advantage in staying here is sea world is just across the road so to us Aquatica walking distance 5 minutes at most
If you have no car then the lynx bus stops outside the front door and for around a dollar you can get right into Disney
I recommend after 17 years of visiting florida twice a year to try this Venue out I don't think you'll be disappointed
Thank you extended stay for making our 4 week stay a joy

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Mal492
OrlandoESH, Manager at Extended Stay America - Orlando - Convention Ctr - 6443 Westwood, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Thank you very much for your kind words about our hotel. It is always wonderful to hear that our staff, our cleanliness, our accommodations and our location suited all of your needs. Taking time to share your comments is much appreciated, as this also helps others coming to Orlando to make their hotel selection. We look forward to your return this year!

Sincerely, Pebble Persico