“All the comforts of home”

Extended Stay America - Orlando - Convention Ctr - 6443 Westwood
Ranked #206 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
Des Moines, Iowa
“All the comforts of home”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights during a recent convention. I checked in after midnight and was greeted at the door by a friendly representative. When I got to my room, I was surprised to find that I had a small kitchen and a desk in addition to all of the other things you'd expect to find (couch, TV, dvd player, etc). My entire stay was comfortable. The hotel was quiet and the employees were friendly. They even helped me arrange for a rental car pick up at the end of the day! The property isn't luxurious, but the accommodations far exceeded my expectations for the price I paid.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Brett50312
Ed S, Manager at Extended Stay America - Orlando - Convention Ctr - 6443 Westwood, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
What a wonderful review of your stay with us while here in Orlando. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to complete this review and I am absolutely pleased that we exceeded your expectations. Thank you for complimenting our staff for being helpful and friendly. We certainly hope to see you on your next trip. Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I was concerned before going here as I thought the price was too good to be true. Upon arrival, we were greeted by a friendly staff member and made our way up to the room.

The room had everything we needed for a 3 week stay. By having a fridge freezer we were able to stock up on food and drinks for the duration and with the cooker and microwave, we were able to save money from time to time by eating in. This is very hard to keep to when you have so many great take-aways only 5 mins drive from here.

The location was great. It is right next to the quieter part of International drive but minutes drive away from the main part of I-Drive. Driving to Disney and Universal only took about 10-15 minutes and everything was easy to find at a touch of a sat nav. If you have no car, the couple we went with used the iRide a few times and found this was easy and cheap to use.

The room itself was laid out well with enough storage to put everything. The TV had about 20 channels and was easily swivelled around depending if you are in the "lounge" or "bedroom" area.

Outside you had a decent sized car park and also was an outdoor swimming pool. The pool was reasonably sized and was always kept clean with sunbeds dotted around. Before arriving, many of the pictures seemed to show that the pool is very shaded but my girlfriend was very happy to top up on her tan in the sun on most days out here.

The staff at the front desk and housekeeping were friendly and always happy to help. We received clean towels and the bedding was done for us each day.

There is a laundry area on the ground floor which is only accessible by use of your door pass. I believe that these were fairly priced (I didnt do the wasking but my gf did) but depending how long you are there, may be worth getting some detergent from Walmart. The was also a gym with 3 different exercise machines including a treadmill and exercise bike.

All in all, I was extremely pleased with the hotel and will definitely recommend this to people. I will also be back the next time my girlfriend allows us to come back to the USA!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Josef F
Ed S, Manager at Extended Stay America - Orlando - Convention Ctr - 6443 Westwood, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you ! I appreciate your review of our hotel and its services and I am very pleased that we met all of your needs during your vacation. We pride ourselves in trying to provide GREAT service and FRESH hotel rooms. Thank you again and we look forward to your return in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed here for 16 days and have just returned.

Having paid £444 for our entire stay I must say the hotel represents excellent value for money. We spent very little time in the hotel so just wanted somewhere as a base. If you want a luxurious hotel then this is not the place for you. Having said that, this hotel is perfectly adequate and is far from horrible.

After our first nights sleep at the hotel I had to request to be moved, our room was on the ground floor and the noise from the room above was unbearable and certainly not something I was willing to put up with for the next 15 days. The hotel were only to happy to move us to the 4th (top) floor. Only problem with this is one half of the the 4th floor is smoking, so when you come out of the lift it hits you in the face every time. Having said that our room was right around a corner on the non smoking side and so we could not smell anything from our room.

I did notice some slight attention to detail with the cleaning that had been missed in each room. Both bathrooms had some red splatters up the wall next to the toilet which came off with wipes (I always carry them) and the door frames could do with a wipe down. But overall the room was clean. Fridge was very clean.

The bed was really comfortable. The sofa bed is fine for a child, but I imagine if you were an adult it would be extremely uncomfortable. Our 3 year old found it fine.

Faults with the room: the sink in the bathroom did not drain well. There were these really tiny bugs which attacked any form of food drink you left out on the side even for a minute. Not sure if they were ants as they were so tiny. They didn't get into the cupboards or anything but they did get into my travel bag which I had left some sweets in from the plane, which wasn't very pleasant. Think these bugs should be looked into as they were in different places in the room. And the maid was pretty bad, at one point she just didn't come into our room for 2 whole days. It was only when I notified the reception did she come in. On one occasion she took our dirty towels but didn't replace them, so we had 1 towel between the 3 of us at shower time. And she took my sons bed sheets and his blanket ad never replaced them, so my husband had to go and request from reception. Also she was not very through when she was meant to do a full clean after the first week.

The room was big and I liked the dressing/vanity area as you walked through to the bathroom. Would like one of these at home :D Big plus for me was the amazing shower we had in our room, it was so powerful, more so than the one we had in the first room so it must vary from room to room.

Breakfast: perfectly adequate for what you needed, per packed bagels and muffins, occasionally they also had cereal bars. Then there was jams and peanut butter. A fridge was apple sauces and sometimes fruit. Juices and coffee. Great for a free breakfast! Served 7am-10am.

The reception staff were friendly and always happy to help, and sort any issues. So this is a big plus.

I think the pool gets a bad rep on these reviews. I found the pool good and there are lots of us beds. The pool area gets good sun. Although be warned there is no shallow are for small children. Also no one is never round the pool as they are out at the parks, so you basically have it all to yourself.

There is also a laundry and a gym.

Location: the hotel for us was in a perfect location. Lynx 111 bus stop outside and I ride stop 30. The hotel shuttle is fine in the morning, pick ups 8.20 & 10.55 and drops off at Epcot. You then have to make you way to the parks using monorail (to magic kingdom) and Disney buses to AnimL Kingdom and The DIsney Studios, as someone has previously said you have to get 2 buses to typhoon lagoon/blizzard beach. One to a Disney hotel and then the bus to the waterparks from any hotel. The bus was full on the last 2 days and we had to stand, which was a pain as its a 30 minute journey. We only used it once to come home, reason being it was a much smaller bus which does the pick ups.

The lynx 111 has a stop at downtown Disney and also in the magic kingdom transportation and ticket centre, so it's perfect. It's $2 per ride for adults and my son was free. We used the lynx bus the majority of the time. Even to the airport home, was so easy and dropped us right outside the airport doors. Lynx was well air conned and never packed, the drivers are very helpful too.

The I ride was a nightmare, always full. Bought a pass for $17 each. I have written a more in depth review on the i ride on it's own trip advisor review page.

There is a garage on the corner (5 min walk) which sells groceries, bread, milk, etc. but if you walk past the garage and chuck a left at the end of the road and walk for another 5 minutes, you have a Walgreens, much cheaper for water, we paid $12 for 24 waters in the garage but only $4.99 in Walgreens for the same. There is also a Denny's (amazing) and an iHop (not such. Fan, overpriced for what you get). There is also a restaurant called the village inn 2 hotels down and it was amazing. Great service, great food and amazing pie!!!!! Also give you a small discount if you mention the hotel.

To sum up the hotel represents good value for money and the staff are helpful. The hotel is in a fab location for transporting to and from Disney, which was where we spent 14 days. You have to get to know the buses though. We got up and down I drive to make use of all the restaurants.

I would stay here again if I we using it purely as a base, but for a bit more luxury I would look elsewhere, but would then expect to pay more.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions please let me know. :D

Room Tip: We had room 419 over the pool 4th floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Laura R
Berkshire
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at The Extended Stay for 2 nights. Although the room was large, there was a rather small double bed, which wasn't at all comfortable and the sheets didn't fit it properly. A double sofa and a relaxer chair. There was a small corner kitchen with an oven and a massive fridge freezer, but apart from a small desk there was nowhere to sit and eat! There were plates, cups and beakers (but they were all plastic!) in the cupboard and very limited cutlery and cookware. The air conditioning unit was tucked in next to the bed, so didn't actually cool the room and really smelt of mould when it was on.
I reported that our window wouldn't shut as soon as we arrived but was told there was no maintenance until Monday (the day we left) We were on the 2nd floor so it didn't bother us that much.
What really concerned me was that there was not meant to be any maid service as the units are self catering, but on our return after a morning out, someone had been in! They had pulled the bed sheets up, but not made the bed! They had taken away dirty towels, but not replaced them with clean ones and also taken the rubbish from 1 bin but not the other. If we had known that someone would be entering our room, we would have put away, or out of sight, our phones, sat nav and other important bits as there is no safe in the room.
The location was good - stop 30 for the I Trolley was right outside and there was also ample parking. Breakfast was OK, but I wouldn't really expect it in a self catering apartment anyway.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank 68sf
Ed S, Manager at Extended Stay America - Orlando - Convention Ctr - 6443 Westwood, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
I appreciate your time in providing us with your feedback on your stay with us. I apologize that we were not able to meet your expectations. We certainly want all of our guests to have memorable experiences to share.
With regard to the house keeping services, we do provide a daily Refresh service to our guests for short term stays. However, the service you were provided does not sound at all complete. For this I truly apologize.
Our rooms are indeed larger than most hotel rooms and provide a comfortable environment for relaxing and stretching out, with the added bonus of the kitchen for cooking.
Your feedback is both important and beneficial in order for us to improve in any way we can.
Thank you again for your review.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Our first encounter with the hotel was being greeted by crumbs on the reception desk. As we walked through the hotel looking for our room there was a terrible mouldy damp smell and the hotel looked dim. The room was smaller than expected and the whole hotel’s decor is very dated and in need of a face lift. There was no cooking equipment I had to go to reception to request these as well as bedding for the pull out sofa which was broken. When I went down to reception to get these, the crumbs were still on the reception front desk. The sink did not drain away very well. After a couple of nights we changed rooms because we could no longer sleep on the broken pull out sofa bed which they were unable to repair. The sofa bed in the other room was no better we ended up putting the mattress on the floor because each of us woke up with a bad neck from sleeping on the sofa bed. The main bed however was comfy for so we took in turns to sleep on the bed and mattress on the floor. The carpet had food stains in it and we also had ants. There is 1 pool which is small in comparison to the number of guest the hotel can accommodate. My daughter was bitten twice in the pool by some sort of insect.
The staff were very friendly helpful and did try to rectify any maintenance/repair issues.
Breakfast is coffee muffins and bagels, jam peanut butter and fruit juice.
I did not enjoy my stay at this hotel and would not stay here again. The fact that we had to set up a rota system for who slept on the bed to get a good night sleep is not my idea of a pleasant stay. Location wise it is not very central I would stay directly on the international drive, this hotel is just off ID. This location, (but not necessary this hotel) might be for you if you have small children and want somewhere quiet. The only good thing about the hotel is the staff and the cooking facilities once able to obtain cooking equipment.
There is nothing Deluxe about this hotel.
You can get a 14 day I ride bus pass for $17 or 7 day for $10 children under 12 travel for free. Don’t buy pass from hotel they add tax but the supermarkets and other outlets don’t. I give this hotel a 3 rating because staff were so helpful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Shazza255
Pebble P, Manager at Extended Stay America - Orlando - Convention Ctr - 6443 Westwood, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you for your review of your stay with us in Orlando.
I appreciate your feedback and remember speaking with you at the hotel during your visit. Again , I am confused about your comments with regard to the hotel being dark, dated and smelling of must or mildew. On the contrary - this hotel and its hallways are rather bright, just having new hallway lights installed within the last few months. The decor is rather contemporary and the only smells we ever receive comments on are when guests are cooking in their rooms.
Kitchens are one of the main reasons people who are staying any length of time choose our hotels, because of the convenience.
I am sorry your daughter was bitten at the pool - as mentioned at the property, our pool is serviced and cleaned three times weekly. It is an outdoor, non-covered pool and Florida does have insects.
Our hotel has many, many repeat guests both short and long term. I apologize that your visit was not fully pleasurable. I do hope you will give our hotel company another opportunity in the future.
Shelburne Falls, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Considering it was half the price of the Doubletree just up the road I'd say this was a pretty good deal. There's nothing particularly special, but the rooms are large and you're only a short drive away from the major attractions / restaurants. The breakfast is pretty sparse, and despite the claim that the rooms are made up daily no one showed up after my first night. If there were more people in the room besides just myself this would be kind of annoying and messy.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank solarchem
Pebble P, Manager at Extended Stay America - Orlando - Convention Ctr - 6443 Westwood, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am glad you found it to be a value and the accommodations suitable.
With regard to housekeeping, I apologize if you were mis-informed. We do not provide daily services, in an effort to conserve energy and water. Our services are based on length of stay and typically, unless requested otherwise and for a nominal fee - the service provided is a refresh or towels or a full service for guests staying over one week.
I do hope you will choose us again when you travel to Orlando and I thank you for your kind words.
Pebble Persico - Area Manager
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Stayed at this hotel with my wife and 2 boys in August 2012 - found it to be very good value for money and incredibly convenient for the majority of the main attractions in the area.

The room was easily big enough for a family of four, with a comfortable double bed and a sofa bed for the kids. The kitchen area was perfect for our needs and the fridge was big enough to stock up with the all important wine, beer and soft drinks as well as numerous food items required for the family. The self service breakfast was basic but perfectly adequate for our needs - tea and coffee on tap, plenty of bagels, muffins, fruit puree, with lots of peanut butter, jam and cream cheese. My only advice would be to buy your own milk and keep it in your room -as UHT milk containers supplied did not make a great tasting cuppa.

The hotel staff were all excellent - all very freindly and knowledgeable.

The location of the hotel is excellent if you are prepared to use public transport options - which helps keep the cost of the holiday down considerably. The hotel runs a free shuttle to Disney (dropping off at Epcot) and Universal, wiith varying pick up times in the evening. In addition the hotel is directly in front of the i-Ride trolley stop which we used every day either to go to International Drive for meals, or to get to Seaworld or Aquatica. The trolleys run about every 20 mins from 08:00-22:30 and is very cheap ($17 for an adult 14 day pass - free for kids). The Lynx 111 stop is also very close to the hotel and is a good way of getting to Disney cheaply ($5 for 2 adults and 2 kids). We also used the Lynx 111 to get to and from Orlando International Airport (again $5 for the family as opposed to the $45-65 charged by cabs or shuttles). We found the Lynx and i-ride trolleys a good way of getting information about the local amenities and parks as everyone seemed keen to give us advice on what to do and how to do it!

There are also some good restaurants and shops near to the hotel, Village Inn was good, Flippers Pizza was good and the grocery store and liquour store near the Texaco petrol station were excellent for basic consumables (all about 5 mins walk from the hotel).

Would recommend this hotel for it value for money, friendly welcome and convenient locations for all the parks as well as access to International Drive.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family