“OK hotel”

Residence Inn Orlando Convention Center
Ranked #181 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We are still currently here til tomorrow but I wanted to write review while we are still here. Check in was good and front desk crew were friendly. I asked where nearest grocery store was and was told down the street on right. I had to pry exactly where she meant by that but did find a publix about a mile down road. We received a room on top floor but on pool side. Didn't think anything about it until I realized the windows are not insulated and I could hear the kids screaming til 11pm in the pool for springhill suites next to our hotel. There is also a basketball court which people tend to use late sometimes until 11pm. If you get a room here request one away from pool and basketball court unless you go to bed late.

Second days housekeeping they didn't leave us a floor bath mat but 3rd day they did. Must have been 2 different staff. Shower has great water pressure. Kitchen is nice with full fridge and stove. I toasted a bagel 2nd morning which set off smoke detector when there was no smoke and bagel did not burn. It must be set very sensitive. When we opened the room for first time it smelled like a smoking room. We requested non smoking and there was no ashtrays anywhere so I can't explain the smoky smell. The AC is VERY noisy!!!! It's located inside the closet in the bedroom for some odd reason and whenever it turns on its like having your outside AC inside. I hated that cause I'm a light sleeper.

Second morning we were pulled aside by another guest asking my husband if he could help a bird hurt outside. Husband tried but bird must have been injured hitting window so we alerted front desk about it and asked them to call a bird rescue for us. They were very nice and said they would. I hope they did. When we came back after visiting the parks we didn't see bird anymore so hopefully he's ok.

I probably wouldn't stay here again because its not quiet enough for me. But if you don't mind AC noise in bedroom or pool noise then it's a good choice. For me I didn't like it much.

Room Tip: Room away from pool.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Gina F, General Manager at Residence Inn Orlando Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Dear "hkolln66",
Thank you very much for taking your time to write such a detailed review on our property. We are glad to hear you found our staff very friendly and helpful. And I'm truly sorry you encountered some problems during your stay. On behalf of our staff I would like to apologize for the inconvenience we caused you with all the issues you mentioned and would like to tell you that we'll certainly look into each one of those to make sure they are immediately corrected so that we do not repeat the same experience you had again. I would also like to ask you to contact us directly so we can further discuss your experience at our property to make sure we rectify your situation to your satisfaction. Please call us at 407-226-0288 or email to ri.mcocv.agm@marriott.com. I'll be pleased to personally speak with you! Thank you!

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Stayed at this location for two nights...5 people total - in a 2 bedrooom suite...Does not look like much on the outside but once you enter- you are in a modern well maintained hotel...Decent pool and play area...The room itself is very spacious and clean...Nice to have a full kitchen- and 2 separate full bathrooms...Breakfast area is beautiful with private tables- and private mini televisions...Lots of places to charge phones and other electronic devices...Only issue at breakfast was a few people entered eating area without shoes- not good...Food was good- waffles, eggs, yogurts,,,,After this hotel we stayed in 2 studio suites at Disney Animal Kingdom...The kids missed the space of the residence inn room and wanted to go back..Disney property was 4 times the price for 1/4 the space...Go figure.....Stay here on vacation- you won't regret it....Front desk personal very personable and helpful...

Room Tip: Hotel is not very big so any room location is ok...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Gina F, General Manager at Residence Inn Orlando Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dear "criticgirl",
Thank you so much for sharing with other travelers about your wonderful experience at our hotel. Yes, our 2-bedroom suites are very spacious and just like any other room in our hotel, come with a full kitchen, which comes very handy during extended stays! I'm glad to hear you found our hotel to be modern and well maintained and appreciate you kind words about our Front Desk personnel. I'll make sure to pass your comments along to everyone on our Team! Again, we thank you for staying with us and look forward to your next visit. Thank you!

Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

We requested 2 queen size beds in a suite with a sleeper sofa. When we got there, the room was nice and clean with a nice little kitchen and living area separate from the bedroom like we wanted, but we then realized they gave us a king size bed instead! We called front desk immediately and told them the situation and they said they don't even have suites with 2 queen beds. After they had told us they could do that over the phone. They said they could switch us to a studio, which would not have a kitchen nor a separate living area, but two queens and a sleeper sofa. But we decided to stay in the suite and requested a cot. There really wasn't anywhere to put the cot because the room was so small. We had to put it in the kitchen area which was annoying because in the morning we wanted to put things in the fridge and had to move the cot, which was not rollable!
When we looked out our window, we saw nothing but a very big air condition unit. No sunshine, no pool, not even a parking lot! Just the roof.
The 2nd night of our stay, the water turned ice cold in the shower and never did go back to normal from the point. None of us got to shower.
The 2nd morning of our stay, we were woken by our smoke alarm in the room. We all jumped out of bed and smelled smoke. The fire alarm only lasted a few seconds, but we smelled the smoke for at least 30 minutes. We went to the front desk, and asked if they were aware of a fire or anything, and they said no they hadn't and that they would call an engineer to our room. A few minutes later, a man came up and asked what the problem was, and said it was because we had turned the AC temp up and it turned the heat on and burned the dust off the vent and caused smoke. Luckily, we were checking out that morning, because we were just so sick of the place!
Breakfast was ok, had to stand in line to use the waffle maker. There were a great selection of apple juice, passion fruit juice, orange juice, and coffee. If you get room 223, please just ask for a different room!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank JessicaLuvsFlorida

Dear "JessicaLuvsFlorida",
Thank you very much for submitting your review. We take all kinds of feedback very seriously as this truly helps us to improve our property to make sure all of our guests have a memorable and enjoyable stay. I am truly sorry to hear your experience with us was not satisfactory. This is definitely not what we strive here for and I truly hope you will give us another chance in the future so that we can really impress you and your family with all the service and amenities we have to offer. Our records show that you reserved a room at our hotel through a third party company. It appears to me that in your case you were misinformed by them about our room types. The 1-bedroom suite you reserved only comes with a King bed and a pull out sofa. We do have 2-bedroom suites available that come with a King or 2 Queen size beds. We also have studious available with a King or 2 Queen beds and all of the rooms in our hotel come with full kitchens. I apologize that you were not properly informed about that either. And I certainly apologize for the smoke alarm going off in your room. To the best of my knowledge our maintenance personnel was able to quickly resolve that. I want to assure you that we pay extra attention to our guests safety and have a sophisticated system in place which would allow us to immediately notify you in case of a fire emergency.
Our mission here is to "Impress the Guest" and in your case we failed to do that. Please contact me directly any time at your convenience so we can further discuss this and rectify your situation to your satisfaction. Please call me at 407-226-0288 or e-mail to ri.mcocv.agm@marriott.com. Look forward to speaking to you soon. Thank you!

Reviewed May 15, 2013

We have been holidaying in the USA for nine years and have always found the Marriott brand to be fairly priced, clean and well located. We first stayed at this hotel in 2011 and found the staff very welcoming and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We have returned twice more and have not been disappointed. Great newly renovated lobby, hot drinks on tap, nice breakfast and evening social four days a week which is a great way to save a little money or just to chill out. Clean pool area, new beds and chairs, hot tub a bit noisy but stil great. Thanks to Melissa and Henry and the beer guy and to all the staff who work to keep this hotel nice. Our only gripe if we had to make one are the elevators which must be the slowest in the world but this doesn't really matter if you are on holiday. Thanks guys, we loved our stay again, we'll return as soon as we can.

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JoeyEnglandUK
Gina F, General Manager at Residence Inn Orlando Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Thanks "JoeyEnglandUK" for such a great review of our property and your kind words about our staff. We are all excited you will be visiting us again next time you come to Orlando. We all look forward to serving you here again! Thank you!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed in studio king suite 527 May 4-7,2013. This property is modern and very well maintained. Property staff is very professional and friendly. I have stayed at most marriott properties in the area (6 I believe). This was my first stay at this hotel but not my last. Could not ask for anything more than this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Paul D
Gina F, General Manager at Residence Inn Orlando Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear Paul D.,
We appreciate you very much for taking your time to write this review of our property on TripAdvisor. We are all delightful to hear that your stay with us was comfortable and pleasant. We are excited we would be the hotel of your choice in Orlando from now on. Look forward to seeing you here again soon! Thank You!

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Hotel is nice, but a bit dated. Room was clean, bed and pillows were comfortable, staff was nice.. Good for someone who is in the area for business, not vacation. Mini-kitchen is a nice, convenient feature. Complimentary breakfast is a plus. Did not use shuttle service, so can't comment on that.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Gina F, General Manager at Residence Inn Orlando Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear Sue M.,
Thank you for you review of our property. We are glad to hear you had an overall pleasant stay. Thanks for pointing out to the cleanliness of our rooms, complimentary breakfast and kitchens in every room. Hope to see you here again!

Reviewed April 24, 2013

My family stayed in this hotel during school vacation week (April 2013). We arrived at the hotel on a Tuesday around 7pm. My family was hungry and we had no idea there would be a free managers social hour for the whole family. We were able to eat dinner as soon as we arrived. Thank you Residence inn!! We had two bedrooms, one for my husband and and one for the kids. The room also had a full kitchen that is complete with pots and pans. We did not use the stove as we were at the Disney Parks every day. The rooms were clean, staff was friendly and gave great recommendations on where to go if we wanted some down time away from Disney. I would stay again with my family. Also, the pool is great and the Free Breakfast is a bonus!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Gina F, General Manager at Residence Inn Orlando Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear "Tamcorre",
Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel and for reviewing our property on TripAdvisor. We are delightful to hear you were really impressed with all the service and amenities we have to offer. Yes, our 2-bedroom suites are simply perfect for a family vacation and all our suites come with full kitchens which definitely come in handy during extended stays. And thanks for pointing out to our daily complimentary hot breakfast and evening reception from Monday to Thursday. Again, thank you and we look forward to your next visit.