“excellent location, very good value for a budget hotel”

Clarion Inn Lake Buena Vista
Ranked #178 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Bethesda, Maryland
“excellent location, very good value for a budget hotel”
Reviewed December 3, 2011

I was a bit worried after I found the mixed reviews about this hotel. But I still booked this place because
1. based on experience, when a hotel have a lot of mixed reviews I found myself have good faith toward positive reviews when they are significantly outnumbered.
2. The hotel is dog friendly and we might have to travel with our dog.

That said, I still carefully read all the negative comments. After staying here, I have to say a lot of the negative comments are correct. But we already prepared with alternatives and our vacation was not impacted. So, I really appreciate the candid negative comments here that prepared us to lower expectations and adjusted.

Two things got a lot of negative comments and here is my opinion
1. free shuttle to Disney. We agree with the comments here. The shuttle services here are not frequent and not desirable. Our solution was to just drive our own car and paid $14 a day at a Disney parking lot. If this is not an alternative and more frequent shuttles are needed, I would calculate the transportation cost into my budget consideration and maybe book a more expensive hotel which provides a more frequent shuttle service and has more services to different parks.

2. breakfast. Yes, if someone has to pay that breakfast for $8.99 per person, it would be quite an unimpressive, way below value meal. However, since our reservation came with buy one adult bkfst, get one free. Plus, the restaurant has a policy that a child can eat free with a paid adult. Actually, with the three of us, the total was only $10.65. That was the best deal we had in the whole trip. Even MacDonald was more expensive, and not necessarily better. We were very happy with the unlimited amount of coffee and milk. My husband and child were perfectly happy with the made-by-yourself mickey mouse waffles. We were not impacted by other cheap food presented, happy with what we paid for.

Not particular related to this hotel but I found interesting is that a few days later, we brought our kid to a Disney character breakfast at Ohana restaurant in Polynesian Resort. Each adult cost $24, kid $16 not including tax and tip. I didn't feel the breakfast food quality was much more superior. Actually, the bacon provided here were extremely cheap. Food variety was extremely limited. Plus, though it was an all-you-can-eat meal, the server brought the food to your table which you would share with the whole table. I never had so little food at an buffet, plus they were cheap food. I really couldn't understand what Disney was skimp on. Yet, this expensive breakfast got great reviews and the restaurant is the highest rated Disney restaurant. To experience these two breakfasts and read extensively of their reviews, I found them interesting.

Positives things I liked about this hotel
1. Excellent location - very close to Disney. easy access to so many familiar chain restaurants by driving.
2. Excellent value for its price - for $50 a night, we truly feel this is great value. I didn't expect a 3 star quality so I was happy.

Negative comment I have
I didn't enjoy the soft bed. During normal circumstance I would be fine with a soft bed such as the one in Clarion Inn. But because I am 6 month pregnant and I need good back support. Slept on that soft bed was very uncomfortable. It took me extra effort to turn. I had backache everyday.

Other negative comments from reviews were observed. Like mentioned before, not very critical for us.

Overall, we feel the hotel's good price can out weight its negative points well. We had a good time here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face the highway.
1 Thank CLHouston
RosenHotels, Manager at Clarion Inn Lake Buena Vista, responded to this review, December 5, 2011
Thank you for your fair and honest review of our hotel. We appreciate your insight and analysis. We would love to welcome you and your family back to our hotel some day soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (734)
  • Czech first
enterprise, al
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I just got back from a week at this location. It was great. Only 1.5 miles to Downtown Disney and about 15 minutes to most Disney parks. It was a friend, who is military, and her son me and my son. The rooms were very clean and all redone. Nice wide screen tv too. The pool is nice, not real big and very clorinated so bring goggles. There is a water park for the kids in the pool area. Our kids loved it. Oh and the pool is heated.

There is only one restaurant on the property that is buffet style. It serves breakfast and dinner only. I cannot speak for the breakfast but the dinner buffet was very good. I was very surprised. It was 8.99 between 5:30-6:30 kids 9 and under free. After 6:30 it goes up to to 10.99. The broccoli soup was incredibly good. All the staff was very helpful and friendly especially when we extended our stay by 1 day.

The hotel also is very close to good restaurants to eat at like Chevys Mexican Grill (Awesome margaritas), Macaroni Grill, Joe's Crab Shack and Olive Garden, Bahama Breezes, and more.

It also very military friendly. My friend got a 50% discount on everything in the gift shop there including their food section and 40% off the buffet dinners.

I will definitely go back to the hotel in a heart beat if only for the location and broccoli soup (LOL). But in all we paid 48.88 a night pre pay, the rooms are very nice, a little small, but fully redone and clean. Beds are comfortable and nice pillows. My socks didn't turn black on the bottom from walking on the floor. I am sure you all know about that. But do yourself a favor: try the place out. I travel a LOT and usually don't leave a review unless something really sticks out. This place warranted me to write a review. You won't be disappointed. Its just a standard hotel, nothing special but the location, cleanliness, and price speak loudly.

Room Tip: Ask for a parking lot side room. The hotel is right off the I-4 and it is very loud
4 Thank kd04
RosenHotels, Manager at Clarion Inn Lake Buena Vista, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
We are delighted to read your review. We are proud you found our hotel to be of good value and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
melville
Reviewed November 26, 2011

This was our first time to Orlando to go to Disney/Universal Studios and Seaworld. Me and my wife travelled with our daughter/her fiance and our 2 grandchildren ( 5 and 8). We had somewhat of an idea what to expect but quickly learnt a few tricks , which I will share with you.
We chose Clarion Inn because of positive reviews (On Tripadvisor) and price. We got a room with 2 double beds/microwave/safe and minifridge for $50/night. We declined the buffet inclusion as we had no idea when we would be back from the Resorts. That was a good decision.
Let me start first with getting to the hotel. As I didn't want to get ripped off by an unsavory cabbies , I booked our transfers to and from the Clarion (from the airport) with Mears. Because we had a group of 6 , we needed a van. Cost was $91 to the hotel , $76 back. Mears driver was waiting for us at the baggage claim area with our name on a card. For pickup back to the airport , our driver was 15 minutes ahead of time at the Clarion waiting for us. Price is cheaper for smaller groups. Just phone them for arrangements. Price on internet was more than when I phoned. The transfers were smooth. Drivers courteous and professional and provided info on the area. Said it was safe to wander the hotel area as there were undercover police and it was fairly safe.
We checked into our rooms later in the evening. Quick fast checkin. We tried to get a king size bed room but to no avail. We got offered a time share presentation to which we declined. Never bothered us again.Here is a breakdown of the Hotel.

Rooms - 2 double comfortable beds , soft pillows , cleaned every day. New towels but horrible water pressure with lukewarm water. Only time I had hottish water was about 10:30 at night. Not a deal breaker for me as I was warned. Enough pressure to feel clean again before going out for dinner. TV was flat screen with enough channels to view as we dozed off for the night. Wakeup calls were provided and used. Cleaning staff did a great job as every day our room was done when we came back. We stayed for 7 nights.

Pool - Our grandchildren enjoyed the heated pool , open until 10PM. Splashpark was until 9PM and they also had a playground. They also have a bigger adult pool. You needed your roomkey to get into all these areas and security was always noticeable. Unreal how kids still have energy after being in Disney for 8-10 hrs... Towels and pool toys are provided.

Minimarket/Deli - The store at the Hotel was reasonably stocked but overpriced compared to the local supermarkets and giftstores. Not a surprise as you pay for convenience. Beer( yes beer) was twice the price. My suggestion is to Google map the area and visit the local stripmalls and shops. I toured the area as my family slept on Day 1 and familarized myself with what was there. there were 2 supermarkets (local small ones) within 3 blocks of the Hotel. All had good prices with good selection. We purchased supplies from there and put them in our fridge. There were 3 giftstores in a 6 block area. Spent a couple mornings just looking then on Day 6 bought our souvenirs. They had Disney /Florida stuff for half the price of Disneyworld but not the selection tho.

Retaurants - When we got to the Clarion , it was late and we were hungry so we ate at the buffet. Kids ate free with a paying adult. I believe it was $10.99/person , drinks included( not alcohol). Average food , not many choices but OK. Good service. We never did eat breakfast thete tho. Sometimes gratuity is included with your bill so heads up.
The next morning I went out very early and toured the area around the hotel. About 5 blocks away I found a Sizzlers restaurant. Little was I to know I hit the jackpot. We ended up eating there most of the time we could. Buffet style, all you can eat . Very wide delicous variety. Friendly staff , great food. Drinks are extra tho.
Breakfast - $4.99/person and you can get a 10% off or $3.99/ coupon. ( In package at hotel in your room).
Lunch - 10 % off or kids eat free with paying adult. $7.99/person.
Dinner - $9.99/person. Once again 10% off or kids eat free. They then offer an entree for an extra dollar and you also get the buffet. So for a buck I had a 6 oz. steak and my daughter paid a dollar for a clubhouse. If you want steak or ribs also available . $13-$18
I highly recommend this place as there was something for everyone. Just ask for the discount coupons (at Sizzlers) and they give you one.
We also had takeout pizza from Giordanos , deep dish , fantastic and they delivered ($5).
We ate at Cici's twice , ( 2 blocks away in the strip mall). Buffet , all you can handle pasta , pizza and deserts( no drinks) for $5.99/person. Kids eat free with coupon in brochure.Pizza Hut also had the same deal. Cici's had a dozen varieties of pizza , always fresh and you can even get them to bring one to your table. My Grandson loves pepperoni pizza but it was also a favourite to everyone else there. We just asked and a whole pizza was brought to our table. The soup was delish but the pasta was nothing major but for $6... no biggy.
One evening us guys went to the Black Angus Steakhouse. (15% coupon in brochure).
Very nice upscale restaurant. Plenty of choices , great service , highly recommend this for and adult evening out or a nice dress up dinner for the family.
We chose a 16oz. rib steak ,all the fixings for only $21. Angus is about 5 blocks away.
While touring the area we seen all the major restaurant chains. There was ( to mention just a few) McDonalds , Subway,Hooters , Dennys , Amicis,PizzaHut,Dominoes,Chinese ,Mexican and many many more.
One evening we ate at the Lounge at the Clarion. Average prices , average food but poor service. She seemed bothered we were there.
My recommendation , tour the area , find the coupons and enjoy.
We ate at the Resorts also. Disney/Universal and Seaword all had a good selection at reasonable prices - $8-15 /entree. They also had water fountains all over the place and plenty of washrooms.
Transfers to and from Resort areas - Clarion provided free transportation (Platinum) to all areas. A schedule is available at the front desk. A few tips - be at the pickup 10 minutes ahead of time or the bus will leave. Any dropoff in the Disney resorts will get you to another Disney resort via Disney transfers.
Say you want to go to Animal Kingdom but the pickup time or return time back to hotel does not work for you. You can take the free bus to Magic Kingdom or Epcot or Hollywood Studios , get dropped off there , then take a free Disney transfer to the Park you want to go. Of course , this does not include Universal or Seaworld. Free Disney transfers are outside of the Admission areas. Just ask a Disney employee and they are more than happy to help you out.
The Platinum drivers were the best. Especially Frederick.. TY Clarion Inn for this service. I know nothing about Public Transportation as we did not use it. I just seen a bus pickup right outside the hotel. The Bus had Disney world on it.

Security - At the Hotel it was great. Area around the Hotel- I felt safe.

Wrapup - Would I stay there again , sure why not as the price was good. Every day we were at the Resorts or shopping so basically this was a room just to sleep in and get cleaned up.
If I was forced to be there for a few days.. probably.. Rooms - ok. Showers - bad - food -so so..
pools - fantastic , security - top notch.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions about the Hotel ,or the Resorts..

Room Tip: Want a king size bed , book one.
5 Thank Calvin B
RosenHotels, Manager at Clarion Inn Lake Buena Vista, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate your insight and we hope that you do return to Orlando and stay with us again.
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed November 25, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights. During our stay, we literally had NO hot water. We brought this to the attention of the front desk, to no avail. In addition, there was zero water pressure. The toilet would barley flush and we had to call the front desk once for assistance. I guess you get what you pay for, but I will not be staying here again, nor would I recommend this to anyone who likes a good shower.I will say that the room was comfortable except for the water situation.

Room Tip: ask for a room with hot water!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Swansea
Reviewed November 23, 2011

Room was clean but small and basic. There is a fridge, microwave, coffee maker and iron in the room which is handy. The maid service wasn't very good, the room wasn't vacuumed at all during our 2 week stay and the sheets changed only once. Clean towels every few days and there are towels by the pool to use so you don't have to use the towels from your room. The kids really enjoyed the pool which is open until 10pm and the water was warm.
Location of the hotel is excellent, about a 5mins drive to seaworld and about 10 mins to disney and universal parks.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
RosenHotels, Manager at Clarion Inn Lake Buena Vista, responded to this review, November 25, 2011
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback, and hope to see you again some day.
Florida
Reviewed November 22, 2011

We stayed one night at this hotel with some friends two weekends ago. They let us crash in their room for free, so I'm not sure what they ended up paying, but online it had $60 listed, which is an awesome deal for the location! We had all spent the day at Epcot, and this hotel was only a few minutes away. The rooms were clean and the furniture was nice and comfortable. We would definitely consider staying here again on future trips to Disney!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
RosenHotels, Manager at Clarion Inn Lake Buena Vista, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
Thanks for staying with us and posting your comments. We appreciate your business.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed November 19, 2011

great price for the room .l would come again, just wish they had a gym. Nice staff.

Room Tip: check for online for this hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
RosenHotels, Manager at Clarion Inn Lake Buena Vista, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your comments. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us.