“Irritations outweighed everything else”

Holiday Inn - Orlando International Airport
Ranked #215 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Good shuttle to the hotel from the airport and also back to the airport, which was very punctual in regularly leaving the hotel. A very courteous driver on this return trip.

On arrival, check in was a little abrupt. I said that the rate we had chosen included breakfast, but I was given coupons which on inspection turned out to be only for buffet breakfast and without orange juice, A Reception man came up to the room and gave me different ones ( for full breakfast) after I rang down. He explained that the breakfast coupon I had been given was complimentary for Priority Club members who would normally book room only and were not the right ones for full breakfast. He could not reopen or revise the rate I was booked on (whereby he might have been able to switch us to the lower, room only rate, to match the breakfast coupon), should we wish to settle for this type of breakfast.
I was kindly given two $5 tokens for drinks in the bar to compensate us. This man from Reception was extremely courteous and keen to help us.
The plunger in the sink was broken and this was put right quickly at his instigation.
The room gave the impression it was infrequently used, with a bit of a musty atmosphere, and our corridor was very quiet.
Overnight the air conditioning was much too noisy.

When we arrived in the restaurant for breakfast the next morning , I was told our coupons still did not include orange juice and so I saw Reception who gave me a third different set of coupons which did . I was given apologies for new staff on duty there the previous evening!!
At this stage, I discovered there was an Executive Floor which is normally for Platinum members of Priority Club ( my level) but I was just told that it had not been possible to place us there, without any real explanation.

Room Tip: If you are a Priority Club member, ask if there's a room on the Executive Floor.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Jay1160, Manager at Holiday Inn - Orlando International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

thanks for your feedback.
We do have 7F, executive floor for special rate or PC members.
As you might have noticed, we do have many pc members frequent our properties and we could not possibly accommodate all the members. It is our local special offers to free upgrade to the 7F with first come first serve basis. On normal day of operation, only few we can upgrade. I have talked to F&B director in regards to the Orange Juice and we will consider the item for the next meeting as well. We are very pleased with your kind comments on the staff and their service skills.
We are looking forward to accommodate your next trip.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We booked this location at the last minute prior to a 545am outbound at MCO. As a HI Pri-Club member, I used points so I cannot comment on the rate versus value received scale; however, the points required for staying at this location were fair. The building is an older location obviously altered several times before current day ownership in an attempt to stay "current". Upon arrival, we were greeted by David who was top-notch on check-in. He was very helpful and accommodating to my group and understanding that we were there for a five-hour nap before our flight. The lobby was spacious - but dated in a tan/maroon/gold flamboyance theme of the bygone Reagan Years. Upon settling in, the room was tight, but expected on a reward points ticket. A little too much furniture for the room made it difficult to navigate with larger bags. Beds were comfortable, tv new and the mini-fridge cold. Bathroom could use some updating to 2013 - or even 1999 for that matter. One honorable mention is the hotel does offer a 4am complimentary shuttle to the airport and this was VERY prompt and courteous. The shuttle driver was great and very helpful so early in the morning. Again, good enough for a quick overnight, but doubtful I will return.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Jay1160, Manager at Holiday Inn - Orlando International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

thanks for being our PC member and brand loyal customer.
Yes we do offer 24 hour shuttle service from and to the Orlando Airport.
As you mentioned, ownership and management teams are working hard on updating the physical part of the service as we speak.
What comes with old building is also experienced and customer oriented staff as you mentioned as well.
Hope you could revisit to see the new hotel with updates soon.
thanks for sharing your feedback and pointed out our outstanding service staff.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Very nice location and hotel, UNFORTUNATELY, service and rules are ridiculous. The hotel has a very nice setting. Open lobby with bar and restaurant. Great location. Until you find out , they have locked A/C to only go down to a certain degree and its not enough. Upon calling desk, I was told by manager that engineer told them anything below 70 would freeze unit. We all know that's not true. I've stayed in 100 different Holiday Inns, all with the same units and no one else has that rule. Upon pushing, I was told it was because people leave units on. YES WE DO, WE PAY FOR THAT. Mattresses are something out of a mid evil torture chamber., Then, upon returning from meeting, every parking spot in entire complex is full. I called to ask, come to find out, they sell parking spots to Disney travelers who aren't staying here, and they oversold, so paying customers are left to pay for parking at the Marriott or park in the Chilis or Tony Romas , hope not to be towed, and walk over. Also, went down to gift shop to buy a drink and chips. 13 dollars, I asked the lady why it was so expensive. She proceeded to tell me that the cost to the hotel of what I buying was 3 dollars and they " had to make a profit". I think over 300% percent mark up is quite enough, don't you. I hate writing this and Some may think that's picky, but I believe I should be able to be comfortable in my room, park in the hotel lot I pay for, and not get literally stolen from buying a diet coke. I travel to this area every week, and I will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear guest.
First of all thanks for taking time to share your feedback.
We do have a A/C unit that are pre-programmed to maintain comfortable stays for all the guests.
And we could over-ride the program upon requests.
I do believe that there are some gabs in communication.
It is not to save money but to make the guests more comfortable during the stay so we did installed digital thermostat with sensors.
Your feedback was a wake up call on our lacks in training on Engineering parts.
I clearly see the lack of knowledge that gave you a wrong information on your stay.
Hotel offers Park and Flight rate that includes up to 10 days of parking and we do not sell tickets to Orlando Visitors to inconvenience our brand loyal guests.
Once again, we will have a training section on this part as well.
Overall, hotel failed to meet and exceed your expectation during your stay.
If possible, we would like to have a second chance of having you back to show our true hospitality spirit.

Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

It was a very nice hotel. On the inside main lobby area it is very clean and appealing. Friendly staff and free shuttle service to airport. Rooms were okay, nice bathrooms and flat screen tv. Beds were comfortable as well

• Stayed: March 2013

thanks for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.
We do appreciate your feedback.
Your positive feedback really encourages us to do better at what we do here at Holiday Inn Orlando Airport.
We are trying our best to not only meet but to exceed your expectation in every aspect of the service.
We will be waiting for your next visit to Orlando.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The room was clean and quiet and the dinner in the resturaunt was great! The front desk staff was very professional and all of the service staff were eager to please! I would not hesitate ton stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank JohnnaHansen
Jay1160, Manager at Holiday Inn - Orlando International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear Valued Guests
Nothing more encourages us than hearing great experiences from our brand loyal guests.
We are pleased to hear your feedback and your feedback really made a day for all the service staff at the Holiday Inn Orlando Airport.
Thanks for taking time out of your busy day and giving us such an encouragement.
We are here to make you feel like home so please consider us for your next visit to Orlando.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed there for a week in February 2013
The only positives are -
1) They are located very close to the airport
2) They have a pick up & drop facility from airport -but that is common and offered by most of the hotels here

The points that I did not like are -
1) The front desk is lousy -they won't pick up your phone, if you are calling from the room
2) The hotel rooms are not designed properly........they do not have a space for the coffee maker. So they have put it on the toilet, right above the commode !!!
3) The rooms are small and do not offer good space.......
4) The airconditioners are noisy
5) There are other hotels in the neighbourhood which offer much better services at half of their cost

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Jay1160, Manager at Holiday Inn - Orlando International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear guest

First of all, thanks for taking time out of your schedule to give us your feedback on TripAdvisor.
Your feedback is always welcome and appreciated. Also thanks for pointing out the positive parts of your stay as well. We are located close to the Orlando International Airport and do offer complimentary shuttle service 24 hours a day for all the visitors. Orlando has many power surges and we did have a serious one in February and took out some part of the telephone system. Regardless of all the preventative works and efforts to replace the part, it took longer than we ever anticipated. Size of the room is common in the area unlike some resort settings you see on travel destination properties. Staying at our facilities for a week and we wish had a chance to correct or explain better to meet and exceed your needs. Please do not hesitate to contact us on your next trip and we will ensure of the service we do provide every day to Brand Loyal customer such as yourself. Wish to hear back and have you back to our property on your next trip to show our true hospitality spirits.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

The staff that we encountered were all very friendly. The shuttle got us to the airport on time. The hotel is dated. The reason I say slightly below average is the room was not all that clean. It was in the main areas but when when you looked around there was crumbs and things left from other guests. If you are staying here for one night maybe I would say stay but anything else look elsewhere.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Jay1160, Manager at Holiday Inn - Orlando International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

Thanks for the positive feedback on our staff. Your positive feedback encouraged us and reminded us why we are in the hospitality industry. Our shuttle and all the front of the house staff were pleased to hear your feedback. On contrary, it was a true wake up call for the back of the house team members of your input as well. We do and will emphasis the attention to details when it comes to your room and cleanliness. Hotel has been servicing travelers for over 25 years and it does need to be modernized. Ownership and management team are working closely to address those issues as we speak. For your next trip to Orlando, please consider us to stay with. This time we will regain your brand loyalty and continue to show our hospitality spirit as we do.