“Luxury for less” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago
“Luxury for less”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2007

I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived in the beautiful lobby.
I was further pleased when I entered my wonderful suite.
The rooms were clean, spacious, comfortable and even reminded me of a stay I once had at the Ritz in Chicago.
The staff was very friendly and I loved the convenience of
the free shuttle. I didn't get a chance to try the room service
but I'm glad that it was available in case I needed it.
I would definately stay there again.

• Liked — The shuttle
  • Disliked — hallway smell
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Baltimore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2007

You really can't get any closer to the airport than this hotel. We stayed one night prior to an 8 a.m. flight. The shuttle to the airport runs every 20 minutes. The food at the Mahogany Grille looked good although we returned to the hotel too late to partake; the Bennigans around the corner is open untill 2:00 a.m. every night. For you caffeine addicts there is a Starbucks inside the lobby as well. The pool looked a little smaller than the pictures, but we had a nice view from our first floor room; complete with patio furniture. The best part of our stay was the bed. I have never slept so 'pain-free'! The bed was very comfortable without being too saggy or too firm. Beautiful decor as well inside the rooms, although the hallways were dated. The rooms were very nice, although a bit small. Now for the negatives: If you are any taller than me (5'4"), you might need to duck in the shower, as it is not made for basketball players! Also there was no fan in the bathroom; and the vanity was right next to the bed. During our one night stay, the entire time, no one from room service picked up trays; there were several dirty trays sitting outside many rooms; including ours--I was afraid there were still people in the room! And if you are pressed for time, you might want to arrive early, as only one staff member works the front desk. It took us about 25 minutes of waiting in line before we could check in, and there were only three people in front of us. They seemed a little short-staffed. But they were friendly. There are about 6 other hotels nearby, so competition may play a part in the price. We could have paid less, but I'm sure we would have been sleeping with the Roaches! No complimentary breakfast here, but the Grille's menu looked decent and they did have muffins and danishes to buy in the Starbucks. Also complimentary water bottles in the room were a nice touch. Would stay here again just because of the proximity to the airport, it was very convenient; not to mention the comfortable bed!

• Liked — The bed!
  • Disliked — Room Service trays lying in the hall for our entire stay!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Medic35
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2007

We stayed at this property on our last day of our motorcycle trip through Florida (May 14th) because of its close proximity to the airport. Overall, it was a nice Sheraton. Although somewhat "dated and worn," she's still a nice property. The free shuttle to the airport and nearby restaurants was a nice touch. The room was very clean and comfortable. The room had a “lounge area,” which was separated from the bedroom and had a small refrigerator and microwave. My only complaint with the room was the overall layout of the bedroom and bathroom area. The shower and toilet were located in a separate room with a door for privacy, which was perfect. However, the sink area was located in the same room adjacent to where the bed was located with no privacy whatsoever. If you're traveling by yourself, this isn't a problem. However, if you're traveling with someone else and they get up to use the sink, there's no privacy whatsoever. My wife is an early riser. So, when she got up and turned on the lights for the sink area, it basically illuminated the entire bedroom area. Whoever designed the room layout clearly tailored it for single travelers.

The washer and dryer on the third floor were very useful. However, for a hotel with so many rooms, one washer and dryer were clearly insufficient. The staff was extremely friendly and professional, which made the stay pleasant. If I had to stay at a hotel near Orlando's International Airport, I would probably stay at this property again. However, the property really needs to be updated.

• Liked — Close to the airport and free shuttle.
  • Disliked — The property needs to be updated.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Springerhog
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2007

I have stayed at this hotel several times and it always seems like I'm almost home. Checkin is always fast and easy, the lobby is very pleasant, rooms are like one bedroom apartments. Nice living area with sleeper couch and kichette, full bedroom suite attached. Easy access from the airport of crossing the state by car. Quiet rooms and confortable beds, two TV's and a nice pool area. I have not used the restaurant.
Rates are always competitive at around $119/nt. Great for business or family overnights, this however is not a destination for a long vacation, but an excelent airport hotel
Only bad comment is that the stairwells are not kept as clean as the rest of the hotel.

• Liked — Location and ease of use.
  • Disliked — dirty stairs
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2007

I stayed at the Sheraton Suites Orlando Airport in room 229 for one night on February 27, 2007. This was by far one of the nicest hotel rooms I have ever stayed in and I was very pleased overall.

My flight to New York was overbooked and the airline put me up in the hotel for the night along with food vouchers. It had been about 20 years since I last stayed at a Sheraton Hotel. Check in was very quick and the front desk staff were very polite. The lobby was immaculately clean and had a lot of chairs for guests to relax in. The room was very spacious almost like a one bedroom apartment. It looked like it was brand new and did not show any sign of age. The bathroom was only average sized though. The sleeping area was separated by the living room area by a wall and doors if you wanted them closed. Both the bedroom and living room area had television sets. The room also had a refrigerator, sofa, vanity area, and work desk. The beds were very comfortable and had lots of pillows. One reviewer hated their soft pillows. I loved them. I did not want to wake up the next morning for my flight. I think I was much more impressed with this room than the room I stayed in at the Four Seasons Hotel in Toronto a few months earlier.

I was also very impressed with the courtesy of the staff. Because my flight was overbooked, I did not have my luggage with me when I checked in. I really wanted to go swimming, but did not have a bathing suit. The hotel convenience shop did not sell bathing suits so the shuttle van driver took me to Walgreen’s to buy a swimming suit. Walgreen’s did not have any nor did a convenience store and we tried. They recommended walking to the Marriott next door, but no luck. The staff then offered to take me to Wal-Mart, but I didn’t need to go swimming that bad. The staff went out of their way, particularly David, to see that my simple request to go swimming was satisfied.

The hotel also had two complimentary internet stations for use and the pool and gym were open until 11:00 pm every night. Most hotels close their pools much earlier. I ate at the Mahogany Grille restaurant in the evening and the food was very good. The breakfast buffet was only average, but very affordable at about $8.00. The airport was only 5 minutes away on a free shuttle that operated frequently. Free USA Today’s were available as well.

This hotel seems to cater to those on business or those just staying for a flight at the nearby Orlando International Airport. I don’t think I saw any children at the hotel. I would definitely stay here again and I was very satisfied with my stay.

Marc T. Hardekopf

• Liked — Large Room
  • Disliked — Bathroom was a little small
  • Stayed March 2007
6 Thank marc1976
Spalding, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2006

Booked this 3 hotel stay holiday with a tele sales company called "take me on vacation" based in Orlando after a night mare flight of 29 hours from airport to hotel what a relief when we arrived?? got booked in ok, went to our room couldn`t get in the door was on intern clasp so i tried to bang it open to hear a man inside! went to reception & was given an upgrade to a childs cabin themed room a pirate ship our daughter of 5 loved it. we woke after 5 hours to hot beautiful florida, the 2 out door pools shared by 3 hotels were great & we chatted to every one, it was a very high standard the staff were magic the stay was brill wow. the hotel offered a gym pools & every thing you would exspect from a 4/5 star hotel, would recomend to everyone & all. written by jason cassar of lincolnshire england.

• Liked — comunial pools plushness florida
  • Disliked — having to leave
  • Tips/Secrets — rent a car this place is huge
  • Stayed October 2004, traveled with family
5 Thank jccassar
Chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2006

I stayed at the Sheraton Suites near the Orlando airport for one night in mid-November 2006. The location was great. I was arriving late to MCO and wanted a place close to the airport and reasonably priced. The hotel was less than a 2 minute drive from the Thrifty car rental lot (off-site unlike many of the rental cars at MCO, which are in-terminal). The hotel was located on a big circle with a bunch of hotels. There was also a Denny's on that circle that was convenient for breakfast the next morning. I got a pretty good rate on the Sheraton website ($99/night).

Now the problem. I was scheduled to arrive at appx. 11pm, but due to weather delays, my plane did not arrive until 3:30 am. Knowing I would be late, I called the hotel before my plane left (appx. 7pm) and informed them that I would be arriving late and that I wanted them to save my prepaid room. They said it would be no problem. Well, when I finally arrived at the hotel at 4am, they informed us we were a "Did Not Arrive" and that to get us a room, they had to create a new reservation in the system. Suspecting a high likelihood of being double charged (for a "no show" and the new reservation), I made it a point with the front desk clerk that I should only have to pay for one room night because I called and confirmed with the hotel that I would be arriving late. They assured me it would be no problem, as did the manager the next morning when I checked out.

Well, when I got home, I was charged twice for one night. In summary, this whole experience is an example of just how incompetent the front desk staff is at this hotel. They confirmed multiple times that I would only be charged for one night because I had called ahead, but they double charged anyway. The problem was resolved after a call to the manager. Although it was easy to get the charge reversed, there's no reason I should have had to make that call, especially after making a point of the issue both at check-in and check-out. The front desk staff needs to actually take note of things like guests calling for late check-ins because of plane delays. This is an airport hotel, so I'm sure I wasn't the first person that this has happened to. The front desk should be better prepared to deal with things like late arrivals and charge the correct amount. The hotel also made no effort to offer us any hotel points, discounts or anything else to make up for the mistake. In fact, they were fairly rude when I was trying to get their assurances that I would only be charged for one room night when I checked in and checked out.

The room itself was fine. We were stuck in a meeting suite because of the late arrival. Half of the room was a meeting room, the other half a bedroom. The bed was comfortable, but pillows were pretty bad (way too soft- no firm pillows). The bathroom was in fine shape and was clean.

• Liked — Location. Close to Airport and off-site airport rental car lot.
  • Disliked — Incompetent front desk staff. Being charged twice for one room night.
  • Tips/Secrets — CALL AHEAD FOR ANY LATE ARRIVALS AND NOTE WHO YOU SPEAK WITH.
  • Stayed October 2006