“Great Place - Very bad location”

Ranked #95 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 6, 2010

This recently remodeled hotel is very clean and inviting (once you get in the lobby door).
The hotel is located on the wrong side of the tracks. When my GPS announced I had arrived I was driving in the ghetto. Two buildings later, the hotel appears.
My initial reaction was to change hotels on day two of my stay, but after I got to my room and saw how nice it was, I stayed.

Downtown is just across the railroad tracks and under a highway - if there are no better options, this is a great hotel.

There's a security guard monitoring the front doors of the lobby.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
CrownePlazaOrlandoDT, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2010

Monday, August 9, 2010

Dear GoldTraveler7,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Downtown Orlando Hotel on August 06, 2010. I wanted to express our gratitude for the feedback you have offered about your recent stay. It is our goal that every guest experiences a quality stay and a good night’s rest when staying at our hotel and I am very pleased we accommodated you with satisfaction.
We want to address any concerns about the safety of our hotel guests. Our guests, past and future, should not be alarmed, as there are no safety problems at The Crowne Plaza Downtown Orlando. The hotel is monitored by security officers and we are secured by a surrounding fence.
If you will be coming back to this area again in the near future, I ask that you personally contact me so I can ensure all of your expectations would be met and exceeded!

Crowne Plaza Downtown Orlando
407-843-8700 ext 7115

Reviewed July 23, 2010

We booked this place through priceline and thought we got a great deal...until we got here! i would have gladly paid extra for a nicer, quieter, cleaner place with a pool. Rooms are small and not very clean. Looked like someone split soda on side of sink and it was never cleaned up. The balcony doors don't open,,,but then again there's really no balcony. It's only about 2 feet off the building, so even if the doors open there's nowhere to sit. There was some sort of game at the conference center next door, so when we came in around 10pm we had trouble finding parking...they allow non guest to park here during games.
All in all...spend the extra cash and go elsewhere!

Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NyKrazydaisy
CrownePlazaOrlandoDT, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2010

Hello NYKrazyDaisy,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Downtown Orlando hotel in May, 2010. I am writing this to follow up regarding the issues you experienced while staying with us. After looking over your hotel experience review, I wanted to personally apologize for the inconveniences that you encountered.
In May, 2010, The Orlando Magic were fortunate enough to proceed in the NBA Playoffs. The Amway Area is within walking distance from the hotel, which meant high occupancy and limited parking. We try, to the best of our abilities, to avoid any inconvenience with parking during special events. Because we value all of our guests that stay with us, it is a disappointment that you felt there was a lack of consideration on our end.
Our balcony doors do remain locked for our guest’s safety and security. Unfortunately, this in strictly enforced by our insurance representatives.

It is our goal that every guest experiences a quality stay and a good night’s rest when staying at our hotel. I thank you for your feedback as it allows us the opportunity to improve our performance. If you will be coming back to this area again in the near future, I ask that you personally contact me so I can ensure that all of your expectations would be exceeded. We are eager to announce that we will begin construction soon for our brand new pool. We hope you have the chance to enjoy this exciting addition to our beautiful property.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

407-843-8700
JMuth@cporlandodwtn.com

Reviewed June 9, 2010

We recently stayed in Orlando while in town to see a space shuttle launch. We hotel hopped and only stayed here one night, but wish we would have stayed here the whole time we were in Orlando. You walk into the lobby to a beautiful fountain, and amazing artwork and lighting. The front desk staff were friendly, and got us right into our room. As you get on and off the elevator, no matter the floor- there was art, mirrors, nice couches, great ceiling lights etc. Everything seemed very nice and clean. Our room was the best hotel room I have stayed in. All very updated furniture, vanity in bathroom, great bed, and plasma tv. We stayed in a room with an "L" shaped sofa, and a small step out balcony. Great view of city, despite being so close to the freeway.
Very close to several places to eat, and a few downtown clubs.
They also had a comedy club the night we were there. We missed the show, but the bar and lounge seemed very cool and welcoming.
By far the BEST hotel we stayed at for 7 nights (all different hotels) while in Orlando and Miami.
Would definitely stay here again - in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
CrownePlazaOrlandoDT, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2010

Hello FloridaCPL,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Downtown Orlando Hotel. I am writing this letter to follow up with your visit and thank you for the positive feedback you have given from a recent review. It is our goal that every guest experiences a quality stay and a good night’s rest when staying at our hotel and I am very happy we accommodated you with satisfaction. Your feedback will be shared with all department managers to also share with their employees as well.

Thanks again for your positive feedback,

Front Office Manager
407-843-8700 ext 7115

Reviewed June 8, 2010

I stayed at the hotel on 4 different occasions, the first being in December 2009. Each time the stay has gotten worse and worse. This time, bugs! I have bed bug bites all over my back. Do not stay at this hotel! These bites are terrible - you itch and then a few days later the welts show up. I have been cleaning and cleaning my house scared that I have bugs in my house. And it is very very loud next to the highway. The rooms were not clean, I found three bugs upon my arrival and the air conditioner never cooled down the room - even turned down to 61 degrees for the entire nite.
My first three stays were in Room 1201 and this last stay was in Room 1401. Never again!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank ladymartz

Hello Ms. Ladymartz,

The entire staff at the Crowne Plaza Downtown Orlando is disturbed that your stay was less than satisfactory. It should be known that we take this single occurrancevery seriously. Our guests, past and future, should not be alarmed, as there is are no bug or insect problems at The Crowne Plaza Downtown Orlando .

When this was brought to the attention of the hotel staff, 5 days after departure, it became our top concern. Guest satisfaction and comfort remains our number one priority.

Regarding the incident in question, the rooms indicated were immediately taken out of order and a professional pest control company was brought in. Along with management, the professional investigation was conducted and no presence of any bed bugs or pests were present in the rooms. It was not until management was 100% certain that the room was suitable for occupancy that it was returned to inventory. The guest was also personally contacted by the Front Office Manage before and after the investigation. As a frequent traveler myself, this incident is both frustrating and alarming, as we have thousands of guests each year. Although we are saddened by any inconvience and discomfort that you may have experienced, we wonder why we did not have an oppurtunity to discuss this issue with you while you were here. Please note that we take every step necessary to ensure that our rooms are spotless. Additionally, we conduct staff trainging and professional preventative programs to insure our guests’ comfort.

We hope we will able to have you as our guest again in the not to distant future.

Reviewed June 3, 2010

I booked this through Priceline, read the mixed reviews and was determined to like it. The lobby is attractive, staff was friendly. I found the room to be in need of a paint job--and not just because of the large rectangular water and rust stain on the ceiling. Turned on the water for the shower and quickly realized the drain was not working properly. The staff was responsive and took care of this promptly. We did not spend a great deal of time in the room as we were in town for a wedding and related events.

The furnishings were adequate though the TV was clearly not up to today's standards. There was a good measure of highway noise, but I did not have trouble sleeping.

On our last morning in the room, while getting dressed, I felt a burn on my foot, but shrugged it off. A few minutes later, my son pointed out the trail of fire ants on the dresser and the carpet. A first in 30+ years of travel.

Upon checkout the desk person indicated that there should be some consideration re Priority Club points and gave me the name of the Guest Services manager. I called her after the weekend. She was sympathetic and told me she would call in immediately and make sure I received extra points for my trouble. Nothing happened.

I received an e-mail from InterContinental Hotels regarding the quality of the property and I expressed my concerns. Received a return e-mail informing me that the hotel would respond within 48 hours. No response. E-mailed the contact from InterContinental asking for help resolving this issue. Again, no response. E-mailed again and, once more, no response.

There are several hotels in the area and it is easy to ignore this one. In addition, I have been turned off to the InterContinental brand. Too bad--I wanted to be a fan.

Hello Mr. Project77

The entire staff at the Crowne Plaza Downtown Orlando is shocked that your stay and lack of a timely response was less than satisfactory. It should be known that we take this single occurrence very seriously. Everything you experienced here has been discussed and appropriate action has been taken.

Our guests, past and future, should not be alarmed, as there is are no ant or insect problems at The Crowne Plaza Downtown Orlando . The room indicated was immediately taken out of order and a professional pest control company was brought in. Along with management, the professional investigation was conducted and no presence of any ants were in the room. It was not until management was 100% certain that the room was suitable for occupancy that it was returned to inventory.

We are concerned about the lack of response from management here at the hotel. I want to ensure you that Priority Club Rewards was called and action was taken immediately. There is a disclaimer that for the points to reflect into your account it can take a few days.

If there is anything further you would like to discuss with me, whether it be comments or suggestions, please call me at the number below. We appreciate any of your time and efforts.

Front Office Manager
407-843-8700

Reviewed May 31, 2010

This hotel was awesome. The staff was very nice and the rooms were awesome. We will be back for sure.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
CrownePlazaOrlandoDT, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2010

Dear FloridaCpl,

Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Downtown Orlando Hotel in May, 2010. I apologize for our delay but still wanted to follow up with your comments about you visit and thank you for the positive feedback you have given from your review. Truly, our goal is to every guest experience a quality stay and a good night’s rest. I am very happy we accommodated you with satisfaction. Your feedback will be shared with all department managers to also share with their employees as well.

Thank you again for your positive feedback,

407-843-8700 EXT 7115
JMuth@cporlandodwtn.com

Reviewed May 19, 2010

I stayed at this hotel to go to the Orlando Magic playoff games. There were several Pros and a few big Cons that basically negated the pros. Overall, I'd rate this hotel as average.

Pros:
1. The staff was very helpful. They allowed me to check-in early and check-out late so I wouldn't have to spend a few hours aimlessly wandering around Orlando.

2. The cleaning people did their job well every day. I've learned you can't take that for granted.

3. If you're going to an event downtown, like a Magic game, the location is spectacular. It's within walking distance to the arena and bars downtown.

4. The free wireless internet was a great perk.

Cons:
1. The rooms were NOISY! This is the big con that weighs larger than any other factor, in my opinion. When I stay at a hotel my main objective is to get a good night's sleep so I'm rested for what I need to do that day, whether it's to enjoy the day in the city or do the long drive home. You likely won't sleep very well here. There is a door between your room and the door next to you and EVERY NOISE from the other room leaks into your room. You will hear your neighbor's TV, their conversations, etc. as if they're in the room with you, even if they aren't being obnoxiously loud. To me, this is simply unacceptable for a hotel that's supposed to be of a high caliber. The noise from the streets mentioned by others, however, did not affect me. I was on a higher floor and if you're used to city noise you'll just faintly hear traffic. No big deal to me.

2. There is only one ice machine in the entire hotel. How is that possible? It's on the second floor so if you're on the 14th you can look forward to waiting for and taking the elevator just to fill up your ice. I've never had this experience at any hotel of any quality ever.

3. Them calling a breakfast a continental breakfast and charging $7 for it was a little cheap to me. Continental breakfast in my experience usually means complimentary.

4. They have flat screen tvs in the rooms but the picture quality is horrible. My tv was grainy and fuzzy, it was worse than a normal box tv from the 80s with an antenna. It made me wonder what the point of having a flat screen tv was. Possibly the worst television of any hotel I've ever stayed at.

5. At times the staff is overwhelmed. I had to call over 15 times after booking my reservation in order to reach someone to ask about an early question.

To sum it up, it has its pros but the cons even them out, if not outweigh them. It's a great location, but you can't call a place a great hotel when the thinness of their walls/doors means you hear everything your neighbors do in their room. Chances are you'll leave the hotel tired rather than relaxed and refreshed due to the noise level. If I had to stay in Downtown Orlando on leisure I would consider doing it again due to the convenient location, but only if a comparable hotel were not available. If I were in Downtown Orlando on business and had to be sharp and get a good night's rest I would not stay here. The noise level from the adjoining rooms due to the doors connecting the 2 rooms is just too much.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo