“Not the luxury hotel that is represented online!!!”

Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown
Ranked #89 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersGold level
Florida
“Not the luxury hotel that is represented online!!!”
Reviewed May 1, 2009

We were looking to stay at a upscale hotel while we were in Orlando for a concert on our 23rd Anniversary. When we arrived and went to our room, it smelled like smoke. This is a non-smoking hotel, so we were surprised. I went to the front desk and they acted like I had been smoking in the room! Finally they moved us to the room across the hall. It at least smelled clean. Very disappointed that the kitchen in our suite did not have dishes. We had to call down to the front desk to get wine glasses and some dishes. Room was fairly clean. The bathroom was nice and roomy, except that the hotel website claims that they have garden tubs. That was one of my main reasons for booking there---a good long relaxing soak in the tub. It was a regular bathtub and I was very disappointed. The maid service did not come to our room even though we stayed for 3 days. The only real redeeming quality was the bed. It was like sleeping on a cloud! Overall, I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone. I was not impressed with the staff or the quality of the room. I should have stayed at the Peabody for $100.00 more.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ilovetosail0211
General_Manager60, Hotel General Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this review, May 19, 2009
We do empathize with this reviewer, but would like to clarify the details of the guest's stay. We advertise ourselves as a 100% non-smoking hotel. Occasionally, guests choose to ignore our policy, and are subsequently charged a $250 deep cleaning fee. If a guest notices anything in a room that displeases them, we will happily assist in moving to a room that is acceptable. We do not list any of our rooms as having kitchenettes or dishes, but if a guest has a request for dishes, a call to the front desk and we will gladly deliver dishes. We do offer garden tubs on our top 4 floors and have reiterated with the Front Desk Staff where our garden tubs are located. The Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown provides daily housekeeping service. This guest stayed with us for two nights, not three. As this guest checked into a clean room, housekeeping would not have serviced the room until the next morning, but we are showing this guest had a Do Not Disturb sign on the guest room door, which we honored and did not enter the room. The following morning was the date of check out, so the housekeeping department would not have serviced the room until after checkout. I am pleased that this guest was satisfied with our beds, we have been told numerous times they are the most comfortable in Orlando. We take our Guest Service extremely serious and currently rank as in the top 20 performing Crowne Plazas in North America as told by IHG's Guest Surveys. We have contacted this guest to give the Crowne Plaza another opportunity to show our commitment to our level of service.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Korean first
Washington DC
Reviewed April 10, 2009

We stayed here while on vacation in the Orlando area. This hotel is very well managed and exceeded our expectations in every way. The General Manager and his staff went out of their way to provide us with outstanding service and made our three day stay a very memorable one. Priority Club members are not only recognized but are given extra special treatment. Our room was very modern, 42" LCD TVs, Granite counters, awesome shower, and very comfortable beds. The hotel also has a nice fitness center equipped with new treadmills and elliptical machines. This hotel is close enough to Universal Studios and Sea World, and about 20-25 minutes to the Disney Parks. If you're looking for a hotel that goes out of their way to provide you with awesome service this is a great choice.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed March 2, 2009

I must admit I was very impressed with this property! From the extremely friendly and professional staff working at the check in desk to the cookies at at the elevator, this hotel was top-notch!

I got an excellent rate on priceline for this property and it was worth every cent. Recently renovated, the rooms were re-done in a very modern design that I really like and want to replicate in my house. I really liked the dark wood furniture with silver accents and the large LCD tv mounted to the wall. Dark brown carpet was also nice. The bathroom was also modernized with a great sink area that I wish I could buy for my house. Even the bathroom walls were painted a warm, pleasing brown/tan color that you don't expect to find in a hotel. Shower was also tastefully redone with a great showerhead. Pity that there is no exhaust fan in the bathroom and that the overhead light in the shower was so bright that it felt like a spotlight shining on me. I turned off the lights and put the vanity mirror lights on it was so bad.

Back to the room...the leather headboards were a classy touch and the bed was probably the most comfortable bed I have slept in recently! Two weeks ago I was at a Ritz Carlton property and the beds did not compare to the beds at the Crowne Plaza! The sheets were soft and the duvet was very nice. I could have slept all day. My only criticism about the room is that they need to dust more (the dark furniture really shows it off!) and I could not for the life of me figure out how to set the time on the clock. I ended up unplugging it.

Free parking was very welcomed and a reason to stay here again. A very nice downtown area is a short drive away or you could walk if you wanted to. The area is "ok" with some homeless people about so I wouldn't walk alone or at night. The downtown area (Orange Ave.) has some great clubs and restaurants and nice sculptures/scenery. We ate at a place called Urban Flats and loved it.

Overall, this was an excellent hotel and I would recommend it to anyone needing a place downtown. Located right on I-4, you can get anywhere very quickly!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank everyshadeofblue
charlotte
Reviewed February 24, 2009

Drove into Orlando on a Saturday to check on my dad...only there overnight. (Me and my 3 children) Boy, I was pleasantly surprised! What I liked: Located right off I-4. Got to this exit just before entering all the major I-4 congestion. Luckily I had to go west of colonial, because east was conjested. (SIDE BAR: I went east by accident and saw a healthy looking, clean cut/shaved, tanned man holding up a sign stating he was homeless and needed $$...he turned over the sign and it said, now accepting visa and master card!..HOW FUNNY IS THAT ORLANDO?)... Anyway, back the review. I can only speak on the lobby area and my room. Didnt have time to check out rest of facility. Lobby had contemporary decor and a neat infinity edge water fountain. Check-in was smooth and quick (got a really good AAA rate). The room was just the right size. Nice shutters on the double doors that lead to the balcony. Had a coffee maker (w/coffee, etc), microwave and granite sink, wardrobe, nice flat screen tv, and chocolate colored furniture. Sea blue wall color with off-white crown molding and beatiful chocolate rug. Lovely, relaxing color scheme. Bathroom was just as nice with granite sink, extra soaps, shower cap, sewing kit, toiletry samples, etc. (did have to call for a few extra bath cloths/towels and got them right away). could not find a switch for a fan so the mirror kept fogging up. THE BED...now this was the best. It was the most comfortable bed I'd slept on since the Georgian Terrace in Atlanta. Super soft pillow top mattress but right amount of firmness. Down pillows and duvet and super soft sheets, etc. I definitely did not want to leave. I felt as if I was at a 5-star carribbean resort. (sorry no pics this time, forgot the camera). AND the kids thought the room was awesome.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
melskins
Reviewed February 16, 2009

I was very torn between this hotel and the Courtyard marriott hotel and finally decided on the Crown Plaza. I'm so glad that I did!! I was a beautiful hotel and we really enjoyed our stay. We were given an upgrade when checking in to the King Suite, they said because we were Priority Club members. I was sceptical at first but very pleasantly surprised. The suite was really nice with a seperate bedroom with a 40 in flat screen tv in the bedroom and the living room. It had a really nice kitchen with granite countertops and breakfast bar, microwave, dishwasher and refrigerator. It was a little strange though as their were not any dishes, so we could not have really cooked if we wanted to. The bathroom was top notch but their was no door between the bedroom and the bathroom so it was a little less than private. It worked out though because we just shut the bedroom door between the living room and bedroom if we needed privacy in the bathroom. The biggest thing that I wasn't sure about booking this hotel was the complaints of the noise through the patio doors that were nailed shut. This did prove to be true. It was pretty loud from freeway traffic and sirens at night. However, I did make use of the complimentary ear plugs on the second night and the noise did not bother me at all. The beds were the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in.
The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. I would not hesitate to book this hotel again when visiting family in Orlando.

• Liked — the suite
  • Disliked — the noise
  • Stayed February 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 16, 2009

Upon arrival I was given a notification that I somehow had booked a condominium room. This was fine, as the room had no problems. However, be aware that if you book one of these rooms you do not receive a receipt for expense purposes. After I left the hotel, I have spoke with three different managers and they all have been unwilling to help and keep sending me to random phone numbers it seems and random e-mail addresses as none of them went to the condominium owner. I am now sitting on hold for the fourth time to try and get an answer. However I was sent another bogus e-mail. The manager that was unhelpful to me was Bernadine Cotin. I would never stay at this hotel again or suggest it to any of my Orlando clients. I am in the travel industry and will only give poor reviews of the Crowne Plaza Downtown Hotel.

Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
General_Manager60, Hotel General Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this review, February 26, 2009
While we repect JenniferUFL's opinion of the condominium she rented, she did not book a room with Crowne Plaza or any of their affiliates. JenniferUFL rented a room from an individual condominium owner, furnised and serviced by the unit owner, not the Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown. The reason someone was unable to assist JenniferUFL is that we have no knowledge of the transaction between JenniferUFL and the condominium owner, what the rate paid for the unit was, or any payment information. This is all handled by the condominium owner. Please make sure you book your rooms directly through The Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown or through one of its affiliates. Our level of service at the property is our number one focus, and is reflected with our top 20 rankings of Crowne Plaza's worldwide in overall guest satisfaction.