“Bargain Suite with Good Amenities”

Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown
Ranked #95 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 31, 2014

We stayed two nights here while visiting family close by. The location is easy to get to and there are quite a few places to visit near by.

The hotel appears as if it underwent some serious remodeling not too long ago. The exterior is pretty nice and is clean. Luckily the parking is monitored however you have to pay per night for parking which is kind of unfortunate.

The only reason I booked with this hotel is because the King Suite was a bargain. Check-in was a breeze and everyone was very helpful on the premises. Our hotel room was nice and clean with some modern touches. We really enjoyed having the space in the King Suite to relax and not feel cramped whatsoever.

The bed was very comfortable and all sheets were very very clean. The AC works very well and gets very cold. The bathroom layout was a little odd with the shutter doors above the bathtub and no real door to close off the bathroom. This is likely due to design restrictions providing egress and getting all the closet/shower/bath space to work right.

The shower was very nice and roomy for two. Although the shower heads are getting old they worked well. There is a rain head, shower head, and three wall jets that work great.

The room was nice especially for the money. There were a few goofy things about the layout that made it not worthy of very good.

The breakfast was disappointing as it's the usual mass cooked bacon, sausage, hash browns, and other greasy things. Since we paid for it we went ahead and utilized our vouchers each morning. You do have to pay extra for juice/tea/soda which is stupid. I also don't want to tip anyone when I am self-serving my own food.

We did have a dessert at the bar the last night and a few beers. I was pleasantly surprised with the cheesecake and it was only five dollars. Draft beer was very good and the bartender was very friendly.

Overall, good stay, but could use some improvements. Definitely a good bargain stay if you're not looking for the hotel to fascinate you in that matter.

Note: I did read a review regarding construction noise of which I was interested to see how bad it was. I included a picture that shows the site equipment. We couldn't hear a thing on the fifth floor. Also, the traffic noise wasn't an issue in our room even though we were on the end by the highway. The occasional excessively loud vehicle would drive by, but it was hard to hear.

Room Tip: King Suite has lots of room. Higher up rooms have less noise.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
ccssvb, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2014

Hello Jake B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words, especially about our convenient location and cleanliness of our rooms! It was very nice to read of your wonderful experience and enjoyment with the décor of the rooms, public space and friendly, engaging staff. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your breakfast, we take your feedback very seriously and I will pass along your comments to our Food and Beverage team. We are looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

My room was beautiful, extremely comfortable. The check-in process was simple and the ladies at the front desk greeted me with a big smile. Room service was fast and food was reasonable price. Everyone made me feel at home! Will stay here every time I am in downtown Orlando!

Stayed: July 2014
ccssvb, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2014

Greetings Becky C,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay! We get very nice compliments on our rooms, and our restaurant. All of the rooms at the Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown are meticulously maintained and offer the highest in amenities, including tile floors, granite countertops, wool carpets, real wood furniture and much more. We offer restaurant services from our Bite Bistro from 6:30am-11:00pm as well as In-Room Dining. The hotel also offers a 24hr fitness center and complimentary shuttle service every 30-minutes from 7:30am-11:00pm, 7- days a week. We are glad that you will be back at the Crowne Plaza next time you are in downtown Orlando.

Reviewed July 11, 2014

We travel a lot for business and we booked this hotel because it was near where we were going to have our meetings.

The rooms are nice and the beds are comfortable. It had a nice L-shaped couch which was good to watch TV from. All amenities are taken care of. However there were some things that will cause us not to stay here again for business.

The bathrooms are small and there is not enough counter space to put things since they have a lot there to start with. I have never been in a bathroom that did not have towel racks. There is no place to hang a wet towel or wash cloth. There is only one electrical outlet in the entire bathroom. The shower was good.

There is a constant traffic noise that you can hear all over the hotel. It is within a few hundred feet of the interstate highway which is very annoying to try to sleep with. I tried turning up the fan on the air conditioner but I could still hear the noise. However this traffic noise cannot hold a candle to the fact there is a train that comes by the hotel precisely at 3 AM and which blows its horn every 20-30 seconds for fifteen minutes. I was awakened each night to this serenade.

Also there was heavy machinery in use outside my window so there was a constant beep beep and grind that made working and concentrating hard.

I bought food and drink to have in the room but made the mistake of not checking to be sure there was a refrigerator. There is NO refrigerator despite their being plenty of room below the bar to put one.

I made coffee with water from the bar faucet and I am glad I looked at it because it was brown and was not fit to drink. I used water from the bathroom faucet.

There is no way to get fresh air in the room because there is not a window in the room but rather double doors that are locked tightly.

I have never been charged for beverages when I had breakfast coupons. They gave me the meal free (runny eggs and grits) but charged me for coffee and juice. I have never had that before in all my years of traveling.

Their parking area is small and it was hard to find a space. We usually got the last space or close to it so I don't know where we would have parked if there was not another space.

It's a comfortable hotel with good amenities and good staff who are courteous but our group won't stay here again.

Room Tip: If you want peace and quiet, this is not the place. Noisy at night and in the day and hard to sleep...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank GoAllOver47

Hello GoAllOver47,

Thank you for your honest feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed our well appointed rooms and amenities. As I have said many times before our beds are the best in the hotel industry! I am sorry that you had issues with the parking and noise. We are currently working on ways to reduce some of the in room noise, and as always we have complementary ear plugs available at the front desk. If you would like to discuss your issues any further please feel free to email me at Martin@downtowncrowne.com

Reviewed June 30, 2014

We book the hotel, didn't knowing the majority of attractions are far away from downtown. The hotel in relation to downtown is near enough to nightlife area, it is true it is one. Major road, so expect city noises, personnel were great, room, really good, the only thing I didn't get was the buffet breakfast that didn't include coffee, I would not recommend it for that price.

The Bar at night was nice and we had lovely food, the African American lady that served us was very friendly .

Ps. Rent a car before you head orlando, you NEED a car, public services are not the best in the area, do it with your flight reservation, we paid 300 dol for 3 days, otherwise would have been 90 eu.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
ccssvb, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

Greetings Eric C

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Orlando is a very spread out city, and we are located in Downtown Orlando. Our complimentary shuttle service is certainly a popular amenity for our guests. Many of our guests enjoy being within walking distance to downtown’s venues such as the Bob Carr Performing Arts Center and the Amway Center. We will certainly share your feedback with our food and beverage team. We welcome you to contact the hotel on your next trip back to downtown Orlando and we will be happy to assist with any arrangements you need.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Crowne for the weekend on a certificate we won at the Science of Wine event. The rooms are spectacular. Comfortable bed, beautiful furnishings, great views. We grabbed a Reuben and a burger in Bite and was surprised at how delicious the food was. I think the bartenders name was Susan? But very friendly, professional and helpful. The food arrived quickly. Now on to the bad, the front desk clerk, Megan, does not need to be in the hospitality business . We travel quite a bit and have never been treated with such disrespect. We had forgotten our regular credit card and only had our debit card with us and did not want a hold placed so we gave them a cash deposit . Upon checking out she argued with us about parking, she told us in a loud, rude voice to TAKE A SEAT she has to have someone check the room to see if we will get our money back. While we were waiting another guest came to the front desk she was also informed to take a seat. We watched as Megan was rude and condescending to every guest that approached her. While I understand the need to check the room her tone , volume, and the words she used could have been different . If you would like to have a seat or please or thank you or any professionalism would have been appreciated. Overall I would definitely stay again, we loved this hotel. Great location close to everything . It's a shame one person ruined what would have been a perfect stay. Now on to Trip Advisor.

• Stayed: June 2014
ccssvb, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Greetings kmart33,

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our Bite Bistro and room service is open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner from 11am until 11pm. We also offer happy hour from 4pm-7pm nightly. Susie is one of our stars here at hotel, and I will be sure to pass along your kind words. I apologize that your check out was unsatisfactory. That is not up to our standards and we take your comments very seriously. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 27, 2014

The Crowne Plaza is a chain hotel on the edge of Downtown in Orlando. It's proximity to the freeway make this an easy place to find, unfortunately that also makes for the 'constant hum' that permeates the place throughout the day. This is not an issue as the rooms are padded enough to make it low background but it is there.

Location: Ideal for Downtown Orlando, not for the attractions.

Cost: Slightly pricey:
1. the health centre is old with two malfunctioning machines.
2. The breakfast buffet is just eggs, house potatoes, greasy sausages, potatoes, grits, fruit, yoghurt and very crispy bacon - this does not vary so you are better not booking the breakfast as part of the room.
3. Bar prices - horribly expensive and measure sizes will vary. I was given a very small glass of the best wine ($9 for about 100ml) whereas the house I got a full glass but the white was not kept well - too cold and open for too long so it felt acidic.

The rooms however are very clean and comfortable and are kept well maintained by the house staff.

Staff: friendly throughout the day and very helpful.

Area: Sits on the edge of downtown and a strip of businesses and cheaper hotels so is fine during the day but a little oppressive if you like to stroll in the evening.

Room Tip: Try to get a room as far away from the freeway as possible. Height and at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank shadowcat_mdk
ccssvb, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2014

Greetings shadowcat_mdk,

Thank you for your feedback. I am that your stay was less than excellent. I apologize that you found the noise level unaccommodating. We are currently evaluating different options to reduce the noise level in our hotel. I will be passing along your comments about our breakfast buffet to our food and beverage staff. They take comments very seriously. If you would like to discuss your stay any further please reach out to me at Martin@downtowncrowne.com.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

I really enjoyed my Memorial Day weekend in Orlando because of what this hotel offered. The room was a comfortable suite with living room, desk for home office usage, kitchenette with refrigerator and microwave, bedroom with king-size bed, great closet space for two people, bathroom with tub and walk-in shower. The WiFi worked perfectly, the pool area was very clean with shaded patio for those who did not wish to be in the sun. There was a restaurant downstairs that served breakfast, lunch and dinner. There is also a bar available for those that didn't wish to leave the hotel at night. They even offered a shuttle service around downtown Orlando only until 11pm. Parking was available for additional $15 per day but not a huge expense considering the price of the room I received that weekend. It is located in a perfect location and for those flying in 20 minutes from the airport right off the highway I-4. I would highly recommend this hotel as a business or leisure hotel. Happy Travels!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
ccssvb, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Hello Easylivingtravel,

Thank you for all the wonderful comments! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Crowne Plaza Downtown Orlando. We get many great compliments on our pool and patio. It is one of the most relaxing areas in our hotel. I hope you choose to stay with us again next time you are in Orlando.