“Uncomfortable in Many Ways”

Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown
Ranked #84 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I like Holiday Inn Express and Crown Plaza. The hotels tend to be clean comfortable and dependable. I stay at the Crown Plaza when I want a more pampered experience than the typical cookie cutter Express. The experience is usually delightful. Not so with the downtown Orlando Crown. The jewels in this Crown Plaza are clearly paste. To begin with this is clearly a converted hotel. I have stayed in Holiday Inns that were successfully converted. This is not one of them. The hotel is situated right next to the freeway and trains in an iffy part of town. If the hotel had been built to Crown Plaza specifications I am sure that the walls and doors would have been built to counter act the noise. Alas the large gaps in the dead bolted and permanently locked doors to the outside balcony (of no use to anyone as you cannot go out the or open the doors), let in all the noise. The walls are also thin allowing noise from the rooms on either side and the hallway. The hotel itself is a locked fortress at night similar to many low level motels in dangerous parts of town. I arrived at 11:30PM and was waved off twice by the three security guards standing behind the locked main entry before I was able to yell to them through the locked glass doors that I DID NOT have an entry card to let myself in as I was NOT registered yet. I had reserved a king room on the executive floor. When registering I was told there is no executive or concierge level. The exec rooms were scattered about the hotel. Hmmmm. I smell a scam for higher rates. The clerk was neutral in her attitude neither friendly or unfriendly as she kept an eye on the six Japanese businessmen on their computers in the stark lobby clearly trying to find a better hotel on line. Since I had prepaid for my three days I was stuck. The lobby is stark, brightly lit with no real place to sit or relax. This was an old Holiday Inn and it looked like a bus station entrance. The elevators groaned their way to the fifth floor. The hallway needed paint, new carpets and the walls were patched in multiple places. The room was actually very well appointed, like a calm place in the middle of a storm. Large newer king bed, rug, chair, desk, kitchenette are with microwave and small fridge. A standard small bathroom that had been spruced up as far as you can with the space available. No shelf space for my kit. No wash clothes, no hand towels, two rough bath towels. Yep, old Holiday Inn for sure. The room was warm even though the thermostat showed 68 degrees. The cooling system was the old through the wall air conditioning unit form the 60's, now hooked up to the shiny new thermostat. It would not go below 68 (cost savings to the hotel per the desk) and the air blew directly on the bed. The cold air directly on my back and face was extremely uncomfortable. If I turned off the unit the room was sweltering in minutes. This is a very poor design initiated by Holiday Inns in the 60's and has NO PLACE at a Crown Plaza. I ended up rigging a card board deflector to keep the air out of my face and sinuses. Sad. I solved the noise issue by purchasing ear plugs. I solved the hand towel and wash cloth issue by asking at the desk the next morning. I received one wash cloth and one hand towel the second night and three of both the third. Maybe there is a shortage of towels. Certainly people are not taking these as they are not Crown Plaza quality but rather rough thin cheap hotel towels. Parking in their "secure" lot (a card operated mini gate) is $15 or $18 for the valet. SInce I never saw a valet or a bellman this was a moot point.

The Crown Plaza is supposed to be IHG top of the line hotels. They speak of Sleep Advantage, aroma therapy kits, quiet, and quality. Not at this hotel. NOt in any way shape or manner. It will be a long time before I will try a Crown Plaza that I have not been to again.

Room Tip: There are no "good" rooms at this hotel. Only average ones
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank CWS55
DWinjum, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

The Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown is in the heart of our city’s metropolitan community, conveniently located at the crossroads of downtown’s two major roads. We are within walking distance to many of downtown’s venues such as the Bob Carr Performing Arts Center and the Amway Center. Also just a couple blocks away is Orlando Tech, Florida A&M University Law School, Orange County Courthouse, the Federal District Courthouse, Orange County School System headquarters and the Regional headquarters for the state of Florida Services Division. While we feel that the safety of our guests is one of our most important tasks, we never want this to be a burden and take all opinions as opportunities to improve. All of the rooms at the Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown are meticulously maintained and offer the highest in amenities, including tile floors, granite countertops, wool carpets, real wood furniture and much more. There is no one floor that is better than another and our King Executive rooms, which are located on all our floors, are upgraded with a microwave in an upper cabinet set, a counter height refrigerator is below, a wet bar and granite countertop with two barstools making the area large enough for a meal, work or play. There is a full size desk with dresser and an armoire. The bathroom is full tiled, the granite top vanity has a storage shelf below and all your upscale amenities are provided. The modern PTAC style heating and air-conditioning system allows each guest to customize their temperature needs with a easy to use thermostat. Our contemporary lobby signature is the while Brazilian tile floor and center granite reflective pool. There are two private seating areas with large overstuffed chairs and couches as you first enter the lobby and a third seating area after you pass Guest Reception, and outdoor seating is available on our private patio that views the pool and deck; pictures are available at www.downtowncrowne.com. As in most major metropolitan cities, parking is at a premium, and at the Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown we offer both self-parking and full valet parking 24-hours a day, 7-days a week in our private single floor space. If you don’t have a car or don’t feel like driving, allow us to take you anywhere within the downtown area complimentary in our comfortable shuttle vans, every 30-minutes from 7:30am – 11:00pm, 7-days a week. We greatly value the feedback we receive from all our guests as we strive to excel in our hospitality.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I love staying here. The entire hotel was renovated a while back. It is now sleek and modern. All rooms have complimentary wifi and room service. We get the best deals booking on hotwire.com. They also have suites with doors that open to adjacent rooms...great if you are traveling with a large group. Parking is a bit pricey, but it is downtown, so that is to be expected.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I was really disappointed with my stay at the Crowne Plaza recently. First, I had no idea how sketchy the area around the hotel would be when booking. I felt like I needed to run into the hotel and definitely keep the doors locked in the car. The room was nice enough until I pulled the covers back on the sheets. The sheets were stained and had SEVERAL long hairs on them - not my hair. There was also a spider in the bed - can't really blame the hotel for that but I just got an overall skeevy feeling there. It was extremely noisy in the room. I felt like I was sleeping on the street because of all the car traffic and the train, yes train. Thankfully, we were only passing through and just spending a night there. I would not return.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lindsar
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear Lindsar,

Thank you for your comments concerning your stay at our property, As we continually strive for excellence in customer service, we maintain the ideal of keeping guest satisfaction as our top priority. I would like to apologize for the problems that you had experienced regarding the cleanliness of the room, location and level of noise you encountered. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate department where great attention will be paid to the matter.

Thank you for taking your time to inform us with this information. We hope to have the chance to serve you better again in the near future.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed there the W/E of march 30th. While a very nice hotel from the inside, you need to be careful where you go once you leave the hotel. One block in the wrong direction and you are in a less than desirable neighborhood. The lobby and room is nicely decorated. The bed very comfortable. There are serious noise issues that need to be address. The constant drone of cars on the Interstate can be heard at all hours of the night. Amtrak trains horn can wake the dead!!! Light could be seen shining thought the locked doors leading to a small balcony that was off limits due to guest safety issues. The door to the room also didn’t have a “tight seal” allowing noises to come thought all night long. At the end of our hallway there seemed to be a small banquet room that was being used by a wedding party. Loud drunken voices could be heard down the hallway up till around midnight. The food at the small lobby restaurant was ok, nothing special and much better could be found a few minutes away in the downtown Eola Lake area

Room Tip: if possible, try to get a room facing away fomr I-4
1  Thank hcarlock66
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear hcarlock66,

Thank you for your feedback of our property. We appreciate the compliments on our comfortable beds. We strive to provide the best possible experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I am deeply sorry that on this day you found your stay to be less than satisfactory due to the level of noise encountered. We have taken note and wish to thank you for your valuable feedback as this is our best resource of improving our services.

Again, I am grateful that you brought this matter into our attention. We hope to have the honor of serving you again in the future and provide you with a better experience.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I will start with the good - Most of the staff were friendly and helpful, I was upgraded to a suite which was huge Lounge, Kitchen 2 large flat screen tv's, nice bathroom with shower and bath. The bar was good with a good selection of meals and a happy hour early evening.
The bad - The windows have no soundproofing at all being next to a 10 lane highway there is always traffic noise. My rate included breakfast which turned out to be a very limited buffet breakfast I have had much better breakfasts free in a holiday inn Express definitely not Crowne Plaza standard.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Gojoglobal
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Dear Gojoglobal,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased you were satisfied with our hotel suites and friendly staff. I am sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectation on this day especially with the level of noise encountered and breakfast. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience. It is our goal to provide the highest level of customer service. Comments such as yours permit us to target areas of concern and take the necessary steps to remedy the situation.

Thank you again for your comments. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

The only good expierence was the front desk person Alecia who was very helpful,and pleasant. When I arrived at the hotel didn't mind that there was a wait to check in but was very disappointed that my room which in advance was booked was given away and had to wait over an hour to finally be given a room which Alecia was helpful and did the best that she could to take care of the situation. The A/C was not working in the room,and coffee pot did not work either. I think the worst thing is I find that I was charged more than what was stated would be charged for 1 night and when trying to call to inquire was hung up on 6 times I attempted to call one last time and asked to speak with a hotel manager and was hung up on again due to that expierence will not stay there again . And for the price of the hotel could have chosen one of the more upper scale hotel in Orlando.

1  Thank Catherine J
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear Catherine J,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am particularly appreciative about your comments about your comments on Alicia. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge the staff concerned. I apologize that you had some items that are not working in the room. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our amenities continually.

Once again many thanks for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Janice A

Reviewed March 31, 2013

The room was very nice and cleaned on a daily basis. Staff were pleasant and friendly.the 14th floor was nice and quiet. The parking fee was $15 per night. A little steep considering what I paid in total. Other then that it was a great stay.

Room Tip: 14th floor was nice and quiet and a very nice downtown view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
ccssvb, Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Azul L

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words, especially about the cleanliness of the rooms and to hear that our staff was pleasant and friendly. We will certainly share your feedback with our team.

We welcome you to contact the hotel on your next visit back to downtown Orlando and we will be happy to assist with any arrangements.

Warm Regards,