“Not impressed”

GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Not impressed”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I was really disappointed with my stay at the Crowne Plaza recently. First, I had no idea how sketchy the area around the hotel would be when booking. I felt like I needed to run into the hotel and definitely keep the doors locked in the car. The room was nice enough until I pulled the covers back on the sheets. The sheets were stained and had SEVERAL long hairs on them - not my hair. There was also a spider in the bed - can't really blame the hotel for that but I just got an overall skeevy feeling there. It was extremely noisy in the room. I felt like I was sleeping on the street because of all the car traffic and the train, yes train. Thankfully, we were only passing through and just spending a night there. I would not return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lindsar
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Lindsar,

Thank you for your comments concerning your stay at our property, As we continually strive for excellence in customer service, we maintain the ideal of keeping guest satisfaction as our top priority. I would like to apologize for the problems that you had experienced regarding the cleanliness of the room, location and level of noise you encountered. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate department where great attention will be paid to the matter.

Thank you for taking your time to inform us with this information. We hope to have the chance to serve you better again in the near future.

IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Korean first
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed there the W/E of march 30th. While a very nice hotel from the inside, you need to be careful where you go once you leave the hotel. One block in the wrong direction and you are in a less than desirable neighborhood. The lobby and room is nicely decorated. The bed very comfortable. There are serious noise issues that need to be address. The constant drone of cars on the Interstate can be heard at all hours of the night. Amtrak trains horn can wake the dead!!! Light could be seen shining thought the locked doors leading to a small balcony that was off limits due to guest safety issues. The door to the room also didn’t have a “tight seal” allowing noises to come thought all night long. At the end of our hallway there seemed to be a small banquet room that was being used by a wedding party. Loud drunken voices could be heard down the hallway up till around midnight. The food at the small lobby restaurant was ok, nothing special and much better could be found a few minutes away in the downtown Eola Lake area

Room Tip: if possible, try to get a room facing away fomr I-4
1 Thank hcarlock66
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear hcarlock66,

Thank you for your feedback of our property. We appreciate the compliments on our comfortable beds. We strive to provide the best possible experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I am deeply sorry that on this day you found your stay to be less than satisfactory due to the level of noise encountered. We have taken note and wish to thank you for your valuable feedback as this is our best resource of improving our services.

Again, I am grateful that you brought this matter into our attention. We hope to have the honor of serving you again in the future and provide you with a better experience.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I will start with the good - Most of the staff were friendly and helpful, I was upgraded to a suite which was huge Lounge, Kitchen 2 large flat screen tv's, nice bathroom with shower and bath. The bar was good with a good selection of meals and a happy hour early evening.
The bad - The windows have no soundproofing at all being next to a 10 lane highway there is always traffic noise. My rate included breakfast which turned out to be a very limited buffet breakfast I have had much better breakfasts free in a holiday inn Express definitely not Crowne Plaza standard.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Gojoglobal
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Gojoglobal,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased you were satisfied with our hotel suites and friendly staff. I am sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectation on this day especially with the level of noise encountered and breakfast. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience. It is our goal to provide the highest level of customer service. Comments such as yours permit us to target areas of concern and take the necessary steps to remedy the situation.

Thank you again for your comments. We hope to see you soon.

New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Reviewed April 1, 2013

The only good expierence was the front desk person Alecia who was very helpful,and pleasant. When I arrived at the hotel didn't mind that there was a wait to check in but was very disappointed that my room which in advance was booked was given away and had to wait over an hour to finally be given a room which Alecia was helpful and did the best that she could to take care of the situation. The A/C was not working in the room,and coffee pot did not work either. I think the worst thing is I find that I was charged more than what was stated would be charged for 1 night and when trying to call to inquire was hung up on 6 times I attempted to call one last time and asked to speak with a hotel manager and was hung up on again due to that expierence will not stay there again . And for the price of the hotel could have chosen one of the more upper scale hotel in Orlando.

1 Thank Catherine J
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Catherine J,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am particularly appreciative about your comments about your comments on Alicia. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge the staff concerned. I apologize that you had some items that are not working in the room. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our amenities continually.

Once again many thanks for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Janice A
New Britain, Connecticut
Reviewed March 31, 2013

The room was very nice and cleaned on a daily basis. Staff were pleasant and friendly.the 14th floor was nice and quiet. The parking fee was $15 per night. A little steep considering what I paid in total. Other then that it was a great stay.

Room Tip: 14th floor was nice and quiet and a very nice downtown view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ccssvb, Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Azul L

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words, especially about the cleanliness of the rooms and to hear that our staff was pleasant and friendly. We will certainly share your feedback with our team.

We welcome you to contact the hotel on your next visit back to downtown Orlando and we will be happy to assist with any arrangements.

Warm Regards,
Catherine B.
Assistant Director of Guest Services
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I travel ALL the time. I am always somewhere new for work or pleasure, but my usual chain that I stick with are Choice Hotels. I could have stayed in Orlando this trip for free with all the points I have with their rewards program, but I wanted to try something different. I researched long and hard looking for a really great room at a decent price. I really wanted to LOVE my stay at this hotel, I came with high expectations even though the reviews weren't super great.

The Front Desk Staff- One of my biggest problems. Upon check in the guy at the desk was pretty cheerful and nice, we were off to a great start. Then things took a downward spiral. Anytime we had questions, they couldn't answer. We asked where the nearest target was the second day of our stay...the person at the front desk DIDN'T KNOW...ummm what? How is that even possible? People have to ask that everyday, how can you not possibly know? We were told to check with the Valet staff outside, so we did and at least one of those guys were able to point us in the right direction. On the second day of our trip (I had left the mapquest directions I had printed from the hotel to Universal at home on accident) we asked the woman at the front desk how to get to Universal. Surely working at a hotel in Orlando you would be able to give directions to one of the biggest theme parks...NOPE. The woman shrugged and said she had no idea. My husband and I looked at each other, and waited for her to offer a suggestion, or offer to look up directions since she had a computer right in front of her...again...NOPE. So I asked if she had a map at least...NOPE. So I asked if she minded looking it up for us, she said okay, but after several minutes of waiting, we said forget it, that we would find our way. It seemed like the front desk staff had no clue about their surroundings, which was pretty frustrating.

The Room- Was NOT clean when we arrived. The bed was messy and rumpled as if it had been sat on, it smelled a little stale, and the toilet had not even been flushed after the last use. Although there were Shampoo and Conditioner, there was NO soap. The room itself was very nicely decorated and the bed and pillows were very comfy. There were also plenty of pillows which was greatly appreciated. The traffic was pretty loud at night, which was a little annoying, but not enough to turn me off of ever staying again like some of the other factors.

The Bathroom- One of the most important features when I am looking for a hotel room. I chose this hotel and the King Suite, because of the bathroom. I was so excited to try out the shower...it didn't work :( we were so bummed. We were able to get all of the shower heads to come on the first shower, but then the overhead (rainfall) feature stopped working after that. The "Garden tub" is actually smaller then the regular tub in my 30yr old apartment, which I was bummed about. I felt cheated on the very reason I chose this hotel and particular room style.

The Valet Staff- Besides the comfy bed and nicely decorated room, they were the best part of our stay. They were great! Where the front desk staff failed, they picked up. The shuttle driver was AMAZING! He was extremely personable, and knowledgeable. Every time we arrived back at the hotel from an excursion they guys outside greeted us very friendly and made us feel like welcomed guests.

Room Service- We used the door hanger in our room to order room service on our first morning there. The food was great and the fresh cut flowers were an adorable addition. I only wish they left another door hanger to use to order again, or the cleaning staff would have left one.

Cleaning during stay- They did a better job cleaning while we were in the room then when we first arrived. When we came back on our second day from Universal, the room was cleaner that it had been when we arrived, and they left hand soap, we were pretty excited to not have to wash our hands with the shampoo lol! They also left lotion as well which I guess should have been in there in the first place which wasn't.

This hotel has great potential if they fix some issues. We are going back to Orlando in a month for my daughter's birthday and before we took this last trip I was hoping to be able to use the same hotel for both since we would know our way around that location the second time, but I don't think it's worth the amount of money we paid :/

Now some my ask why I didn't complain while I was there. I am extremely timid about complaining. I hardly ever tell hotels, restaurants, etc...when something is wrong. I would rather suffer through the experience, pay, and never go back then complain. I am weird I know.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Kristanna R,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am sorry that this visit was a disappointment due to the issues experienced with the reception staff and the room not being ready upon arrival. Rest assured that these issues will be addressed and I appreciate you bringing these matters into our attention as this is our best means of improving our efforts.

Again, many thanks for the review.

Pam G.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 27, 2013

The Crowne Plaza was well-located to several freeways in Downtown Orlando and convenient to shopping, restaurants, and other activities. Rooms were very nice, but the service in the restaurant for breakfast left something to be desired--not a great choice if you ar eon business and need to quickly eat.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Miguel F,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, We truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. We will address these points and we hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

I look forward to having the opportunity to host you in the near future to allow you to experience our commitment to quality and service.

Krysllin G.