“Disappointing”

Ranked #102 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersGold level
“Disappointing”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Poor welcome staff. Untidy and noisy room. Sleeping next to highway. Horrible service. Almost got my car towed. Front desk never told me to get a tag. Thanks I inquired myself after realizing that every car in the lot has a tag.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank GT_ATL
CrownePlazaOrlandoDT, Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Greetings GT_ATL,

Thank you so much for your feedback.

I'm very sorry to hear that your guest experience was below your expectations. We take pride in our guest services agents and your comments will be brought to their attention. In the future if you can give more details about the specific issues that you had we would be able to address them more thoroughly.

As far as being distrubed by highway noise, we are able to move light sleepers to rooms that might have less of the city noise. We also offer white noise machines and ear plugs for light sleepers looking for more options.

I have spoken to valet about any recent towings and they confirmed that for the last 3 months there have been no incidents or risk of towing a guest vehicle. Typically we wiill notify the guest before hand if there is an issue. I apologize if there was any confusion about parking at our facility.

Feel free to call our hotel and ask for me specifically if you are willing to elaborate so I can put your comments towards the hotel's growth and improvement.

Assistant Director of Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Korean first
Florida
Reviewed January 5, 2013

This is the second time I have stayed at the Crowne Plaza Downtown Orlando. The first time was a couple years ago with some friends, and this time was to visit my husband when he was staying there on business. The room was great...very clean and spacious with a great bathroom. But the real reason to stay here is for the location since it's within walking distance of all the great places in downtown Orlando. This is our go-to hotel in downtown!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Apex, NC
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Nice hotel, beautiful room. Only problem is the road noise! We didn't sleep at all, since it felt like we were sleeping in the middle of I-4. The next day we requested to change rooms. We moved to the other side of the building, and after stuffing towels in the cracks of the balcony doors we were able to get some sleep. We are not picky travelers. My idea of luxury is Hampton Inn. So we were not intimidated by the older area where the hotel is located. We chose this hotel because we were going to a Bowl game at the Citrus Bowl. It was just a few minutes' drive. The hotel offers a shuttle to many places. One other complaint is the configuration of the bathroom. They spent tons of money installing granite, multiple shower heads, etc. Really beautiful! But they didn't put a door on the bathroom. It's a saloon style swinging half door. So when I showered in the morning the noise and light woke up my husband...Weird...

Room Tip: Both sides of hotel face I-4. Just don't get room 601. Noisiest ever.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank NYCtravelerApex_NC
CrownePlazaOrlandoDT, Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Greetings NYCtraveler,

Thank you very much for the feeback. I'm glad that you enjoyed the room overall. As far as the road noise I am sorry that your sleep was disturbed. We do offer solutions for light sleepers such as white noise machines and earplugs. Even the a portion of the hotel faces interstate 4 the other side of the property is a lake view that we can offer guests who do not want a city view.

As for the bathroom doors, the shutters are a specialty design for our king suite rooms only. The majority of our rooms have a typical door. The next time you stay at our property feel free to speak with our agents about any concerns such as bathroom type or location and we would be happy to assist you.

Bel Air, Maryland
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Nice hotel with a couple of minor draw backs. When making reservations, keep in mind that the hotel is located within the city limits of downtown Orlando, about 8 miles from Universal. First, the actual room given to me was very nice and clean. Pool was very small. The area where the hotel was situated was a bit rough, i would not recommend walking out after dark. Be warned that parking is $15 per night for self park and $20 for valet.

Room Tip: Front desk were very friendly.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Moose21014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Moose21014,

We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. Nevertheless, we’re sorry for any inconvenience you experienced because we did not live up to your expectations. Though we would prefer you had a better experience, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts, and hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We booked this room using Hotwire, since we didn't really care where we stayed downtown. The hotel is beautifully decorated inside and out. I was VERY pleased with the room itself; it had a great sofa, and bed was possibly the most comfortable I had ever slept on! The hotel also offers a complimentary shuttle to drop you off whereever you want to go. On the downside, getting ice was a real pain in the !@#$. There are two ice machines to service the entire hotel, located, inconveniently, on the second floor. They were always out of ice, forcing one to go to the front desk and wait for them to get some from the kitchen. With all the other things this hotel had going for it, I can't believe they chintzed on this at the last minute. I was put out by this every day. (On a side note, you can skip paying for parking, if you just get a new ticket every time you go in, instead of using your room key to enter the lot. They don't check it, even when you leave; the gate just opens.) Overall, really good, not great. I would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 6, 2012

The rooms were decent. Nothing special. Location not so great. Seedy area. If you are looking to be close to the bars and restaurants downtown, it's about a 3 minute drive. Also close to where the Magic play. This hotel is literally right next to the highway.

Room Tip: the rooms have these fake balconies and the door does not open nor do any windows.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Shelley R
CrownePlazaOrlandoDT, Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Thank you for the comments about our property.

We are indeed very close to the Amway Arena where the Orlando Magic play games. This location is also right in the downtown area with nearby bars and restaurants that our complimentary shuttle can take guests to. Nearby are also many historical district homes and locations as well as a handful of beautiful parks all within a couple miles of our hotel.

There is a bit of contruction going on in different parts of the downtown area which may lead to some of our guests questioning the quality of our area. I assure you and any potential guests that downtown Orlando has an enormous amount of positive change occuring in different performing arts venues (such as the Amway Arena) and upgrades over the last few years which has made this area easy to travel in, helping local businesses to thrive.

We always invite guests to stop by the front desk or give us a call if they have questions or concerns about nearby areas, venues or directions. Thank you for the feedback!

Thank you for choosing the Downtown Crowne Plaza.

Florida
Reviewed December 3, 2012

This hotel is filthy and the staff is rude and ungreatful. No apologizes when they made a mistake and asked me to clean up a mess that was an accident! Room was gross and had dust and a bad odor. Sent email to customer service and auto reply says 5 days to hear back. They do not care about the customer at all. AVOID at ALL costs.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank GolfGuyFL
Thank you so much for the feedback on our property. I'm reviewing the comments that you have left concerning your recent stay at our hotel and it seems as though you quite a bad experience so I apologize.

We are always looking for ways to improve our location and the quality of the guests stay so your feedback is very valuable to us.

Typically when guests have an issue or concern they will contact our front desk agents and inform them so that management can rectify problems that arise during the guest's stay. If we do not get feedback during your stay about what exactly seemed filthy or which agents you felt were rude to you then it becomes very difficult for us to investigate your concerns.

I have passed all of these notes to our housekeeping director so that she can inform her staff about the room complaints. I know that our houskeeping team trains and is supervised closely, so a claim that a room was left dusty or had some sort of odor will be taken very seriously.

I would also like to add that every single one of our team members at our location is 100% dedicated to customer service. We care deeply about every single guest who stays at our property and will always go out of our way to help a guest who needs our assistance. All we ask our guests is to keep us informed so we can resolve issues in a timely manner, specifically right when a problem arises.

If you could give us more details on the issues you faced I would greatly appreciate it. With feedback from guests like you we will be able to improve even further. Feel free to ask for me if you call and I will share the information with the appropriate managers.

Thank you for choosing the Downtown Crowne Plaza.