“Can't recommend”

Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown
Ranked #89 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 18, 2011

This is not a bad looking hotel on the face of things, our first impressions were good considering this was a 3 star. The lobby and bar were a little shabby but we got this for a snip on hotwire(but 80% customer recommended? I suspect not) so couldn't complain. The rooms are nice, expansive, with a decent bed and nicely furnished with a flat screen TV, kitchenette and good little bathroom, all nice and clean.

The very,very bad news is that this hotel is let down terribly by its location, and also some poor design choices. Its location is slap bang next to a busy interstate/freeway/motorway, which carries traffic all night long supplying a repetitive drone but not quite consistently enough to qualify as white noise. The far side of the freeway is a railway track, with freight trains periodically trundling through and blasting their deafening horns. Having heard a freight train before checking in, we were assured by the receptionist that another train was not due till the afternoon of the next day, however this seemingly arrived several hours early, waking us from an already troubled sleep at 2 am. The problem is compounded by some ill fitting "patio door" style windows, and aircon units mounted directly through the external wall, both of which contribute to the unhindered passage of outside sounds.

If you are hearing impaired,I'd counsell you to give it a try as a stop-over, otherwise be sure to pack a sturdy set of earplugs.

Room Tip: All rooms are noisy, pack earplugs and sedatives.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 16, 2011

One of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in! The room was nice, clean and well appointed. Nice amenity package on the bed and good personal care items in the bathroom.

The staff was excellent ... from the valet, to the front desk to housekeeping!

Convenient for downtown.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
CrownePlazaOrlandoDT, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2011

Thank you so much for choosing “The Place to Meet” on your recent trip to Orlando. We are very glad you found The Crowne Plaza sleep amenity bag to be serviceable. Your kind words about the staff have been passed on and we hope to see you back real soon.

Reviewed September 10, 2011

I've stayed at this property as well as other IHG properties in the past few years, and I must tell you this property is one of my favorites.

As a Platinum Priority Club member, I was greeted promptly upon arrival and provided an upgrade to an Executive King room with refrigerator and wet bar, and the room has a freshly updated look and feel. The bed was amazing and the bath was adequately stocked. The room had free Wifi with fantastic speed (5 Mbps). The lobby is chic and modern as is the bar and restaurant and the outdoor pool is amazing.

Self parking is $10.00; valet is more. However, in the past parking was free for quest but times change.

While the hotel is not the ideal location for Theme Park Only goers, it is the ideal -- if not the perfect location -- for those planning to visit the parks and the east coast beaches or the downtown entertainment establishments, Amway Arena, and Winter Park.

One recommendation for the property management: you have plasma televisions in the hotel rooms...acquire HD channels for you guest.

All-in-all, the Crown Plaza is a great hotel; I recommend it for all.

Room Tip: I perferred a room facing the parking lot. It tends to be the quieter side of the building.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank kcribb1

Being a favorite property for you makes us proud. Thank you for making The Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown home for your trips to Orlando. We do our very best to upgrade each and every one of our Platinum members and am glad we were able to this for you as well. As you mentioned we are the ideal location for anyone who will be visiting any downtown location and our complimentary shuttle is available to take you anywhere within three miles of the hotel. I have passed on the words requesting HD television Channels and with the ever changing technology we strive to provide the absolute best for our guests. Also as a note we have two sides of the hotel, a city facing side as well as a lake view. It seems as though you prefer the city view. I hope we will see you back very soon and please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed August 19, 2011

My trip was earlier this year in June for Gay Days and I have to say that this was by far one of the best hotel experiences I have EVER had.

From start start to finish the service was phenomenal !!!

We were greeted everytime we left or entered the building. The staff was very knowledgeable and helpful to all concerns and needs concerning the city.

I was especially impressed with the very exceptional help I received from staff members Micheal and Jenna. They were very personal and any questions we had were answered promptly.

All amenities were great. They also had a shuttle service which when we asked for assistance with as soon as we got downstairs was waiting to take us to our destination .

Overall I couldn't ask for a better experience. I definitely will be returning

• Stayed: June 2011

Thank you so much for choosing the Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown for your recent trip to Gay Days which is an annual event in Orlando. I am glad our location was able to provide exceptional accommodation and service for your vacation. The staff members you have mentioned have been recognized and thank you for passing on the kind words. We always welcome and encourage feedback; this is the kind of feedback we strive for. I will see you on your next trip to Orlando which hopefully will be sooner than later.

Reviewed August 16, 2011

I travel alot for business. this is one of the best hotel i have ever stayed in .The rooms are great. There 3 types of rooms .But the one bedroom suites are the best. The Showers have 5 shower heads and are big shower the bathrooms are large. There is a livingroom and a eatting area. If your ever in orlando downtown this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you for the kind words regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown. It sounds as though you frequent hotel and am very happy you enjoy our suites. We hope to see you very soon and if may be of any additional assistance please do not hesitate to contact.

Reviewed August 15, 2011

I don't usually write reviews, but this hotel was exceptional. When I first booked my room, I was expecting the standard layout and amenities, but I was pleasantly surprised. There was a full living room area with a separate bedroom, and the best bathroom I've ever used. There was a massive glass shower with one of those rainfall shower heads, and a separate bath tub for soaking. Everything was very clean, and the bed was well laundered (I could tell because it smelled like the sheets had just been washed). There were two flat-panel televisions, and the kitchen area included a refrigerator, which was nice. In terms of service, the staff was very professional. My friends and I are young, and we ended up talking to the people at the front desk, and they recommended some great stuff to do during the day. (Side note, they also seemed very gay friendly.) The maids did a great job, and they certainly weren't stingy with the toiletries. Location-wise, it's very accessible. My friends and I vacationed there with plans to go out clubbing in the evening, and I never had to pay more than five dollars in cab fare. (The hotel offers a shuttle service, which my friends and I used to go out, and we took a cab back.)

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends

We are very glad you enjoyed our accommodation on your recent trip to Orlando. It sounds as though you had one of our beautiful suites in which the bathrooms are some of the best. We strive to provide the most exceptional service and cleanliness possible. It sounds as though we were able to meet your expectations and hopefully will see you very soon.

Reviewed August 15, 2011

The rooms at this hotel are extremely comfortable, modern and plush. I was fortunately upgraded to a suite, which was huge: large kitchen and Living Room, huge bedroom, huge bathroom with both large tile shower and jacuzzi tub. The Crowne Plaza is not in the most interesting of neighborhoods- really nowhere to walk, but it's centrally located by car to all of Orlando. The price of the room and size made my stay very comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for your kind words about The Crowne Plaza Orlando Downtown. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Our suites are some of the largest and loveliest in the area. If we may ever provide another fabulous stay for you please do not hesitate to contact.